The Student Room Group

as computer science

hi can someone who has studied computer science give me an insight of what you need to know and how much work you have to put in and the difficulty of the subject

Many Thanks
Hi! I'm in Year 13 now, started up OCR Comp Sci as a 4th A-Level last December after some issues with school and then had to catch up with the class by the end of the year as the issues got sorted out. The AS specification, for OCR at least, is quite similar to the GCSE spec - you need to know the structure and function of the processor, types of input/output/storage devices, network structure, TCP/IP, data structures, ethical/moral/legal issues, algorithms and computational thinking. Personally I haven't found it difficult to learn, and it helps that I enjoy the subject. In terms of how much work to put in, I'd say it's the same if not maybe a bit less than the other A-Level subjects. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by ajar59.
hi can someone who has studied computer science give me an insight of what you need to know and how much work you have to put in and the difficulty of the subject

Many Thanks

Hi I am going to uni next month to do Computer Science and in year 12 I had computer science as a 4th subject but had to drop it at start of year 13 as teachers left the school.

Anyways so I did the OCR spec and for AS it is very much a recap of GCSE with some new content added on top but its pretty much structure & function of processors, programming, operating systems, databases, networks, ethical issues, computational thinking & algorithms.

In AS there is paper 1 & 2 (Most schools dont enter students for AS exams however u will probs do a mock on both papers at the end of the year)
Reply 3
Original post by Ethan512
Hi! I'm in Year 13 now, started up OCR Comp Sci as a 4th A-Level last December after some issues with school and then had to catch up with the class by the end of the year as the issues got sorted out. The AS specification, for OCR at least, is quite similar to the GCSE spec - you need to know the structure and function of the processor, types of input/output/storage devices, network structure, TCP/IP, data structures, ethical/moral/legal issues, algorithms and computational thinking. Personally I haven't found it difficult to learn, and it helps that I enjoy the subject. In terms of how much work to put in, I'd say it's the same if not maybe a bit less than the other A-Level subjects. Hope this helps :smile:

ah you done ocr but thanks atm im doing aqa spec for as level

Quick Reply

Latest