bad ucat :(

hi,
i got 2410 in my UCAT and Band4 in my sjt unfortunately

my predicted grades are A*AA
gces: 88888777666

do i have any chance getting into med :frown:
Hey,

Hope your doing well.

Looking at your stats, and what universities expect, they would usually want Band 3 in SJT.
Your UCAT is not miserably bad, its just the fact that there are so so so many people applying, that there will be scores that push your score down.

Your GCSE grades as well as your A-Level grades look really good, so good work on that! I would say in your case, look at univeristies that focus more on A-Levels and GCSEs (and personal statements) rather than entrance exam results, in your case, UCAT results.

One of the main reasons they use an entrance exam is because there are so many people applying they need something else to distinguish these students apart and so an entrance exam is usually what they use.

Also, have you considered the BMAT? If you want to get into medicine i suggest you try and find out every other way you can increase your chances, and in this case, if you have not already done the BMAT, research BMAT universities as well as exam dates etc.

Also, ide like to advise that if you have got medicine universities on your application, make sure your 5th option university is one that may accept you and not outright reject you. I’m saying this because for some universities, admission tutors will read your personal statement and reject you if they see from your PS that you intend to apply for medicine.

For example, Manchester University rejects those who apply for Pharmacy as their fifth choice, if on their personal statement they have talked about medicine instead.

Getting back to your medicine application, do some research for universities that do not heavily focus on the UCAT and rather on A-Levels and your personal statement and GCSE results instead, and also see if you can revise and do the BMAT too.

Dont be too disheartened. It can be a hard time but push through so that you know you have done everything you can to support your application.

Best Regards.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi there

thank you so much,

I’ve been considering BMAT and have started looking at what schools would likely accept me (hopefully they do anyway)

However, I wanted to know whether it would be wise to only apply to 3 medical schools and choosing 2 other alternate degrees.

Also, how would you suggest structuring/wording my personal statement? to ensure that I am not outright rejected from non-med degrees.

and what kind of experiences/skills would be required for degrees like pharmacy and biomedicine

Sorry for being a nuisance :smile:
Original post by anon12m
Hi there

thank you so much,

I’ve been considering BMAT and have started looking at what schools would likely accept me (hopefully they do anyway)

However, I wanted to know whether it would be wise to only apply to 3 medical schools and choosing 2 other alternate degrees.

Also, how would you suggest structuring/wording my personal statement? to ensure that I am not outright rejected from non-med degrees.

and what kind of experiences/skills would be required for degrees like pharmacy and biomedicine

I’d suggest applying to 4 BMAT universities instead. Just avoid Oxford and Leeds as they are GCSE heavy. You can apply for another course such as biomedical sciences which will accept a medicine personal statement so don’t decrease your chance at getting into medicine by mentioning your 5th option. Keep in mind that if you’re doing alternative degrees for the goal of getting into GEM that it will be more expensive, time consuming and competitive.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi,
Don’t be completely disheartened - the exact same thing happened to my friend except she received a 2220! She then didn’t apply to any ucat universities and did the bmat with the aim of either doing well on the bmat or reapplying. She did well with her bmat ( think it was something like 4.6 4.8 band 2?) and got interviews from both imperial & ucl. She’s now going ucl☺️. My purpose of this is there’s light at the end of the tunnel, you just need to apply strategically to universities! Also, as you did not do terribly well in your ucat, have the idea that you might not do that well in the bmat, which would mean reapplying. Your previous stats are good, which means that if you perform to the same level in a levels, then reapplying to only do the entrance exams would be easier for you! Hope I helped!
Reply 5
Original post by idonthaveaname1223
Hi,
Don’t be completely disheartened - the exact same thing happened to my friend except she received a 2220! She then didn’t apply to any ucat universities and did the bmat with the aim of either doing well on the bmat or reapplying. She did well with her bmat ( think it was something like 4.6 4.8 band 2?) and got interviews from both imperial & ucl. She’s now going ucl☺️. My purpose of this is there’s light at the end of the tunnel, you just need to apply strategically to universities! Also, as you did not do terribly well in your ucat, have the idea that you might not do that well in the bmat, which would mean reapplying. Your previous stats are good, which means that if you perform to the same level in a levels, then reapplying to only do the entrance exams would be easier for you! Hope I helped!

thank you so much, I am definitely considering the BMAT- its more choosing which unis I would like to go to. I also dont do any essay based subjects so I feel like I’m a bit out of touch from writing. Do you think this would significantly disadvantage me ?
Reply 6
Original post by hungrysalamander
I’d suggest applying to 4 BMAT universities instead. Just avoid Oxford and Leeds as they are GCSE heavy. You can apply for another course such as biomedical sciences which will accept a medicine personal statement so don’t decrease your chance at getting into medicine by mentioning your 5th option. Keep in mind that if you’re doing alternative degrees for the goal of getting into GEM that it will be more expensive, time consuming and competitive.

thank you for your guidance. would I write my personal statement as if it was only for medicine then?
also which unis would you suggest to apply to for BMAT?

thank you
Original post by anon12m
thank you for your guidance. would I write my personal statement as if it was only for medicine then?
also which unis would you suggest to apply to for BMAT?

thank you

Yes, just keep your personal statement related to medicine. Some BMAT schools, such as Oxford and Leeds are GCSE heavy.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hungrysalamander
Yes, just keep your personal statement related to medicine. What are your GCSE and A-level predictions like? Some BMAT schools, such as Oxford and Leeds are GCSE heavy.

hi i'm in a similar boat, my ucat was 2590 b3, do you think that applying to all 4 bmat is a bit risky should i apply to only 3?
thanks <3
Original post by imaqines
hi i'm in a similar boat, my ucat was 2590 b3, do you think that applying to all 4 bmat is a bit risky should i apply to only 3?
thanks <3

I can't give you any advice without your GCSE's and A-level predictions. You could consider Cardiff if your GCSE's are at 8/9. Liverpool, Plymouth, QUB, Keele and KMMS could be good choices as well. It's not worth it to apply blind with your score. You can also get more advice on the megathread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038
sorry i forgot to mention, gcses 9888877776 (6 in textiles) predicted A* bio A* psych and A chem , i did comment on that thread but i think it was a bit crowded and i got overlooked, thank u for replying btw
Original post by anon12m
Hi there

thank you so much,

Hey,

No worries, glad that i could somewhat help.

Its good you have been looking at BMAT universities. I did decent on the BMAT and was offered an interview by Lancaster University, so do try there for sure! They do accept people who do lower on the BMAT, though i think there may be some criteria to that, please do check.

I would say applying to 3 medical schools would be sort of risky, seeing that your UCAT will be pushed down due to loads and i mean loads of people applying, and so the chance of rejection would be high with 3 med schools than if you were to apply to 4, however please make sure you apply accordingly so you get the best outcome.

Make sure your last option is one that will accept you, for example i got into St Georges for Biomedical Science, with my medicine personal statement, so most the time if your last choice is BioMed, its pretty likely you will get in.

For your personal statement, try and talk about your passion in the first paragraph. In the second and third, talk about the work experience you have gone through and what thats taught you. ALWAYS talk about your experience, like always, but more IMPORTANTLY talk about the LESSON you have learnt from it, that way it shows your observant and you aren’t just doing work experience for the sake of it. Try and mention transferrable skills, and in your last-ish paragraph talk about a few extra things such as the clubs you've been to and how they've helped you become a well-rounded and observant person, exactly what you would want to see in a doctor. Obviously, you do not have to structure it like this, i’m just telling you briefly how loads of peoples personal statements around me were mainly structured.

For degrees like Pharmacy and Biomedical Science, they do really appreciate any health care related work, and since your applying for Medicine anyways, i am assuming you have some work experience (If not already) in some health care related environment, and so when you speak about that in your personal statement, you 5th choice university will definitely appreciate that.

The skills in Biomed and Pharmacy are usually things like team work, perseverance, resilience, but also critical thinking, analytical thinking etc.

Another thing, dont be too sad if you get rejected (ALTHOUGH I PRAYYYY YOU DONT), when you do get rejected by all your universities, you will enter something called clearing, where you can apply to other universities, and if you apply to a different course, you can ring up the universities admission office and ask them whether you would have to re-do your personal statement, or whether you can use the same one. Usually for BioMed they accept your Medicine personal statement, but for Pharmacy i think it may be different.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by idonthaveaname1223
Hi,

hi do you know if your friend sat the September or November bmat sitting??
Original post by aashaikh
hi do you know if your friend sat the September or November bmat sitting??

We only had one sitting in my year during oct half term
Original post by anon12m
hi,
i got 2410 in my UCAT and Band4 in my sjt unfortunately

my predicted grades are A*AA
gces: 88888777666

do i have any chance getting into med :frown:

Hi there I was wondering how you got on as
I’m in the same shoes? Exactly same UCAT score band 2 and similar grades to your for other academics. Please help me?
Reply 15
Original post by Epic2004
Hi there I was wondering how you got on as
I’m in the same shoes? Exactly same UCAT score band 2 and similar grades to your for other academics. Please help me?

hey sorry for such a late reply. i actually decided to take a gap year. so i saved up at the beginning then travelled. i’m now getting ready to travel again this summer. i also decided med wasnt for me

what did u decide to do ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending