The Student Room Group

Exeter or Manchester

I want to do an English and Drama degree at uni, what uni is better, Manchester or Exeter?
What do you mean by 'better' ........? Each course will be different and have a different syllabus, and only you can decide which will interest you the most. And each Uni is very different - Exeter is a small place in Devon with a modern campus Uni, Manchester is a massive city with a large city campus. Have a look at the Campus Tours for both on You Tube.

And read this - lots of info and advice about How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Original post by McGinger
What do you mean by 'better' ........? Each course will be different and have a different syllabus, and only you can decide which will interest you the most. And each Uni is very different - Exeter is a small place in Devon with a modern campus Uni, Manchester is a massive city with a large city campus. Have a look at the Campus Tours for both on You Tube.

And read this - lots of info and advice about How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Thank you, I did mean “better” in the terms of reputation
Original post by SiennaEveKelly

Reputation changes and won't be relevant for this degree. I'd go woth Exeter because it has the Northcott theatre on its campus.

https://www.exeternorthcott.co.uk/
I want to do an English and Drama degree at uni, what uni is better, Manchester or Exeter?

Trying searching for 'notable alumni' of the universities you are interested in (often on a uni's wiki page). Performing arts graduates are often mentioned.

Have you considered Lancaster Uni? It has a theatre and cinema on campus, and the fabulous LICA building for teaching, drama, film, art, architecture, etc. It also has good reputation overall, and for the subjects you are interested in.
I did mean “better” in the terms of reputation

Original post by normaw
Trying searching for 'notable alumni' of the universities you are interested in

None of which will tell you if you will enjoy that degree or like being at that University.

Reputation with who? Asking on TSR will get you insight into the reputation with (mostly) 17 and 18 yr olds. If you want to know what specific employers think about a degree or university then you should ask them directly.

Both Exeter and Manchester were pretty rubbish at providing on campus teaching which is something that you might want to prioritise if you are interested in working in performing arts. Similarly you might want to look into a broader range of subjects and universities if you want to get into the performing arts industry. A more practical degree will often provide more advantages than membership of a research university club.

Exeter has consistently had a very good reputation in this field. English has always been one of its flagship courses. However that is meaning less as others have said. What matters is where the environment and course us right for YOU and not anyone else. Manchester is a high city. Exeter is a small one. Which would you prefer.
There are no shortcuts here - no 'google the answer'.

You have to look at each course objectively - what optional units are available, does the 'sort' of English Lit available interest you etc, is it a 'Drama as Literature' course or are there performance elements? And you need to investigate each city. Everyone is different and the environment that is right for you will not be the same as random folk on TSR. Please, stop trying to be lazy about this. This is an important decision and you need to get it right. And the only way you'll do that is by doing your own research.
None of which will tell you if you will enjoy that degree or like being at that University.

I am well aware of that. I have assumed that the OP has done her research on the courses and the location of the unis, and is in the process of narrowing down her choices.

Please, stop trying to be lazy about this.

You have made a lot of assumptions about the OP based on a short question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending