The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustACoincidence
P.s. you can take your comments about being more 'feminine' and stick them right up your backside. Dresses might be seen as traditionally female but lots of cultures have male clothing that's a similar length and appearance to some dresses. Scots wear kilts. And male children were dressed as girls until they were about seven in the victorian period. Think on that.

This doesn't make any sense. Scottish men look masculine in kilts for a number of reasons. For one, a kilt isn't even remotely similar to a dress (it is traditionally worn with a shirt, waistcoat and jacket - hardly a feminine ensemble). More importantly, kilts are masculine because they are traditionally masculine. The mere fact that men and women wear different clothes in other cultures does not mean dresses aren't feminine.
(edited 2 years ago)
Wearing a dress is effort tbh.
Original post by Theloniouss
This doesn't make any sense. Scottish men look masculine in kilts for a number of reasons. For one, a kilt isn't even remotely similar to a dress (it is traditionally worn with a shirt, waistcoat and jacket - hardly a feminine ensemble). More importantly, kilts are masculine because they are traditionally masculine. The mere fact that men and women wear different clothes in other cultures does not mean dresses aren't feminine.

Traditional is just a word people use to excuse old-fashioned things (in some contexts and it seems this way in this one). Clothes are just clothes. There's nothing feminine or masculine about anything, or there should be at least. Let people wear whatever the hell they want to wear and screw tradition, masculinity, and femininity. If a woman wants to wear a dress, that's awesome. I'm sure she'll look gorgeous. If a man wants to wear a dress, that's cool too. I'm sure he'll look fabulous (think of those photos of Harry Styles, hmm?). If a non-binary person wants to wear a dress, that doesn't make them female just because you decide to define dresses as being feminine. It's just fabric and means literally nothing more than the meaning society has decided to give it at that particular time.

What makes a shirt masculine? I wore shirts as part of my school uniform--was that masculine? Or was it just a goddamn shirt and nothing more than that? If I wore a kilt and a shirt and a waistcoat, would I look masculine? Or would I just look like I was wearing some clothes?

A dress is a dress and a shirt is a shirt and nothing could truly matter less. Mountains out of molehills. In the end, just let people wear what the hell they want to wear and be open to the fact that what you think is comfortable for someone is not necessarily true.
Original post by Gavin2016
You would need a few dresses as otherwise it could look a bit smelly but on the whole you could get away with 4-5. More obviously would be better but they can be had pretty cheap these days so no big deal. Easier than having to decide what to mix & match, pulling it in and out and putting on at least two separate garments surely.

Look a bit smelly?

As someone who's said he doesn't wear dresses just don't make assumptions lol. Arrogant.
It depends! I love a good shirt dress for the sole reason that it saves me the pain of matching tops with trousers if I'm in a rush (had to quickly pop to the shop in a rush the other morning so I just swung a dress on in about ten seconds!). That said, people can and should wear that which makes them feel good, comfortable and confident and we've got zero right to tell random strangers on the internet what to wear!! I for one would not say that men should walk around in waistcoats and bow ties all the time because although I may enjoy their appearance, it's none of my business what somebody else wears!

Also, if I'm going for a walk, or I know I'll be playing some sort of sport, or it's cold then a pair of jeans is just more comfortable! Although weirdly, I prefer a dress on a rainy day because I dry out quicker afterwards!
(edited 2 years ago)
It's just fabric and means literally nothing more than the meaning society has decided to give it at that particular time.

Precisely. It means what society has decided it means. If a man wants to wear a dress, I don't care - the mere fact that a man can look good in a dress doesn't mean it isn't a feminine item of clothing.

If you wore traditional (masculine) highland dress, you would look more masculine, yes. Because you would be wearing masculine clothes.

Nobody is making mountains out of molehills or suggesting that everyone has to dress a certain way. Half of your post is arguing against nobody.
Precisely. It means what society has decided it means. If a man wants to wear a dress, I don't care - the mere fact that a man can look good in a dress doesn't mean it isn't a feminine item of clothing.

If you wore traditional (masculine) highland dress, you would look more masculine, yes. Because you would be wearing masculine clothes.

Nobody is making mountains out of molehills or suggesting that everyone has to dress a certain way. Half of your post is arguing against nobody.

Well then, we'll just have to agree to disagree in the vein of keeping things nice and civil. You are as much entitled to think women look nice in dresses as I am to tell you that people wear whatever the hell they want and it's not for us, random people on the internet, to decide what people should or shouldn't wear. People wear whatever makes them comfortable and that's great. Nothing more to it than that.
Well then, we'll just have to agree to disagree in the vein of keeping things nice and civil. You are as much entitled to think women look nice in dresses as I am to tell you that people wear whatever the hell they want and it's not for us, random people on the internet, to decide what people should or shouldn't wear. People wear whatever makes them comfortable and that's great. Nothing more to it than that.

I'm not sure we can "agree to disagree" when nothing you've said disagrees with me. You are arguing against opinions I never expressed. Do not pretend to "keep things civil" while lying about what I have said.
Can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to make a thread about this and write paragraphs. Get a job
Reply 89
I would because I love them but my calves are awfully big compared to my thighs and top half, so it's impossible to feel good in one.
I'm not sure we can "agree to disagree" when nothing you've said disagrees with me. You are arguing against opinions I never expressed. Do not pretend to "keep things civil" while lying about what I have said.

Well okay then. That's fine. I think, after this, I'll cease responding to you. I don't believe I have 'lied' about anything you've said but I've honestly nothing more to say on the matter.
Original post by Gavin2016
I've been wondering more & more about this one recently. Not only are dresses way more feminine than jeans or jean shorts, or cloth leggings surely they are way more convenient. I mean it's an all in one garment, a bit like a onesie but way more classier. A good dress can look wonderful on even a n average girl and make her look great. So it's way quicker and easier to put on than jeans & t-shirt or whatever. So why don't way more girls wear dresses???

As a guy to dress classy apparently tends to be something in the direction of a shirt and smart/smart-casual trousers. Now I think I'm not alone in not many guys wanting to bother with that in their spare time. To look decent most shirts need to be tucked in, now that's a pain, it feels like being a stuffed turkey. It's all shoved down there and feels uncomfortable, not necessarily in a major way but not comfortable in a relaxed way. A dress as far as I can see suffers from no discomfort problem like that, it's just a quick one on and that's it, looks and wears nice and easy I would have thought. Also none of this problem with the shirt pulling out over the course of the day. Sometimes I can't understand why the shirt is bothered with in any quarter at all it's so impractical. Does it really look all that great to women?

Would be interested to hear thoughts of girls & guys on this.

Because dresses are, by and large, wildly impractical when compared to pants. By way of one obvious example, most dresses lack pockets.
But ladies or girls love to wear mini type dresses , it's called modern fashion
Original post by kolme
I would because I love them but my calves are awfully big compared to my thighs and top half, so it's impossible to feel good in one.

OP didn't specify the length of dress :wink: The longer the dress, the less likely the upskirting and so on.

The truth is, dresses used to fall into that category of pieces of clothing that served as social equalisers. With dresses it doesn't matter what your legs are like, you won't be constantly judged on that (unless like Diana you're silly enough to pose for the paps with the sun behind you). Similar functions were served by corsets (ironing out breast/waist differences), and for men by turbans and wigs (can't tell who's balding or greying).
Reply 93
Original post by Justvisited
OP didn't specify the length of dress :wink: The longer the dress, the less likely the upskirting and so on.

The truth is, dresses used to fall into that category of pieces of clothing that served as social equalisers. With dresses it doesn't matter what your legs are like, you won't be constantly judged on that (unless like Diana you're silly enough to pose for the paps with the sun behind you). Similar functions were served by corsets (ironing out breast/waist differences), and for men by turbans and wigs (can't tell who's balding or greying).

Thanks, will reconsider next time I go shopping.
Creepy guy
To be honest, I always prefer dresses, and all my friends wear jeans. I like their style but I feel like I suit more to dresses than jeans so I choose the former nothing deep tbh. But in the UK jeans are better especially when it's cold. Also for dresses, I need shorts, tights etc. For jeans, you can just mix and match tops and jeans easy.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Revathi star
To be honest, I always prefer dresses, and all my friends wear jeans. I like their style but I feel like I suit more to dresses than jeans so I choose the former nothing deep tbh. But in the UK jeans are better especially when it's cold. Also for dresses, I need shorts, tights etc. For jeans, you can just mix and match tops and jeans easy.

I also prefer dresses as they're easier to put on! But agreed if you need tights anyway might as well wear jeans, and just swap out the top.
Original post by Moonlight Rain
Can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to make a thread about this and write paragraphs. Get a job

I can’t believe we got to 6 pages based on the premise of “why don’t women dress up nicely for me?”
Reply 98
gavin tf are you doing
I feel like this guy’s got some weird fetish about dresses and wants us girls to dress that way for his pleasure or some weird shi like that, bc im reading ppl explaining to him why we don’t and he’s just trying to give solutions or excuses as to why dresses are still better , why are some ppl on here so weird

Latest