The Student Room Group

I'm struggling to deal with uni and I've only been here for one day

I don't want to be the person to drop out on their first day but I just really want to go home where I feel comfortable and have my own space and people that I know. I just don't understand why I'm struggling so much with this change when everyone else seems fine and thousands of people do this every year. I do really want to do my degree and course but I don't want to have to force myself through this when I just want to go home. Anyone know anyway I can make myself feel better or just good enough to stay, or just how to convince my parents that I'm not just being over dramatic and I can't actually do this?
Reply 1
It's been one day! It's normal to feel like this but when you say everyone is fine I can guarantee almost everyone will feel the same way to you at least some point in the next month.

The problem I'd you aren't engaged enough in uni life, go out meet new people, join societies of things you enjoy, the more connected you feel to uni the better. Every week try something different, be adventurous.

Also I expect the course hasn't started yet, once that gets going you'll be busy which will take your mind of it.

Hope you are okay though! You do deserve to be at uni and you can do it!
So you're reaction to any little challenge/adversity is to quit and return to a 'safe' place, which has no benefit to you..?

Wow, that's borderline pathetic imo, you cant always stay within the confines of your parents house, eating their food etc. Learn some independence, grow as an adult, make new friends, uni is more just learning. Give it atleast a few months and you'll settle in, it's natural to be homesick so don't make any rash decisions which you'll regret for the rest of your life.
Ive been at uni for one day as well and not had the best luck at making friends as everyone I met came with friends from back home, however is only the first day and you can't let this be the deciding factor as to why you drop out. Wait till your clases start, join some societies as well and put yourself out there, if you still feeling this way after some weeks at least you tried and gave uni a go and probably wont have any regrets.
Original post by Anonymous
So you're reaction to any little challenge/adversity is to quit and return to a 'safe' place, which has no benefit to you..?

Wow, that's borderline pathetic imo, you cant always stay within the confines of your parents house, eating their food etc. Learn some independence, grow as an adult, make new friends, uni is more just learning. Give it atleast a few months and you'll settle in, it's natural to be homesick so don't make any rash decisions which you'll regret for the rest of your life.

What’s pathetic is hiding behind anon to say this. You actually made fair points in the latter half of your post, but your tone needs to change.

OP, it’s 100% normal to feel like you do. Someone I know recently started university and came home in tears after their first day: they felt overwhelmed with all the new information and alone.
After they’d calmed down and given uni another chance, by the end of the next day, they’d made a friend and figured out some of the complicated information they’d been given.

Give yourself time to get to grips with everything and adjust and you’ll find yourself feeling more capable of handling your new situation.
I felt like that for the first few weeks, to be honest. On my first night my hands were itching to pick up my phone and call my mum and ask her to bring me home. I only DIDN'T do that because I was too ashamed to admit I'd disappointed them, because they'd worked so hard to help me get there, and had paid for my accommodation.

This forum said I should plan visits home, and count down to each visit, which I did. I made a countdown until Christmas, and crossed off a day each evening.

Gradually things got easier and I'd forgotten all about the countdown by the start of week 3.

I ended up having the best 3 years of my life :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending