The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Surrey for Biomed?

I know this is thinking a bit far ahead but I like to be prepared otherwise I just panic. I am applying to:
Birmingham, Warwick, Surrey, Aberdeen, Sussex
For an Msci biomed course (except Warwick which is Mbio) I was thinking that I would put one of the 'higher grade' unis as my firm if I get an offer and then put Surrey as insurance since it is BBB ( others are AAB-ABB). But after looking at the modules for the course I am really more attracted to Surrey. They give all the modules I am interested in and apparently they give the best professional training placement years and also have great employability after graduation.

I am worried what it would look like if I get offers from uni's with higher grade requirements and I firm Surrey even though I'm predicted AAB. I also heard that living in Surrey is expensive and it might be a bit overcrowded.

Has anyone studied the course at Surrey or goes there and knows a little bit about it? Would it be wise to firm a choice with lower grades than insurance? Is Surrey known as a good uni?
Original post by Spelunker
I know this is thinking a bit far ahead but I like to be prepared otherwise I just panic. I am applying to:
Birmingham, Warwick, Surrey, Aberdeen, Sussex
For an Msci biomed course (except Warwick which is Mbio) I was thinking that I would put one of the 'higher grade' unis as my firm if I get an offer and then put Surrey as insurance since it is BBB ( others are AAB-ABB). But after looking at the modules for the course I am really more attracted to Surrey. They give all the modules I am interested in and apparently they give the best professional training placement years and also have great employability after graduation.

I am worried what it would look like if I get offers from uni's with higher grade requirements and I firm Surrey even though I'm predicted AAB. I also heard that living in Surrey is expensive and it might be a bit overcrowded.

Has anyone studied the course at Surrey or goes there and knows a little bit about it? Would it be wise to firm a choice with lower grades than insurance? Is Surrey known as a good uni?

Hi there!

It's great to hear that you're applying to Surrey. I am a Psychology student at Surrey, currently on placement. Maybe it will help telling you a bit more about the university, my experience etc. Do you have any questions in particular? I am more than happy to answer these for you!

Becca
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!

It's great to hear that you're applying to Surrey. I am a Psychology student at Surrey, currently on placement. Maybe it will help telling you a bit more about the university, my experience etc. Do you have any questions in particular? I am more than happy to answer these for you!

Becca

Hi Becca! Thank you for answering
I was wondering what the atmosphere is like at the uni, like is it very strict and hard on academics? Also what kind of support did you get when applying for your placement and what would happen if I couldn't find a placement?
Thank you!
Original post by Spelunker
Hi Becca! Thank you for answering
I was wondering what the atmosphere is like at the uni, like is it very strict and hard on academics? Also what kind of support did you get when applying for your placement and what would happen if I couldn't find a placement?
Thank you!

Hi there,

That's ok, I am here to help!

I have found the atmosphere to be very welcoming from the moment I moved onto campus! Everyone I came across was very friendly and helped me whenever I needed help (students included). On campus, there is places you can study or just chill in such as The Nest or The Hive and the Library. Furthermore, there is many food outlets on campus such as a mini supermarket to be able to quickly get any essentials or to buy lunch. There is also a Starbucks and other food outlets such as Wates House and Hillside. Every week there is also a fresh fruit and veg market so you can get these at your door step without going to Tesco. There is a nightclub on campus called Rubix which is always putting on great events each week. I wouldn't say university is strict like a school setting would be because you are expected to be independent and do your work on time. Of course students will follow certain rules, however there is a lot more independence at university.

As for placement there is a Career service team that can help with CVs, cover letters and even interviews. You can book meetings to get advice from a careers advisor or get them to check over your CV or cover letter before you apply. This is what I did when I applied for placements, I made sure to book a slot with the team for them to review my CV! They are really helpful and want the best for you so they are always there with any career queries. The universities also allows students to search for placements through a specific tool they use. Here you will see available placements and they would be approved by the university. You can also self-source your placement, for example through LinkedIn, indeed etc. If you self-source a placement you would need to get approval from the university first that it's suitable :smile: If you was unable to gain a placement, you would switch your course to the 3 year course instead, so it's very simple!

I hope this helps, do you have any more questions, I am more than happy to help!

Becca
Reply 4
Hi there,

That's ok, I am here to help!

I have found the atmosphere to be very welcoming from the moment I moved onto campus! Everyone I came across was very friendly and helped me whenever I needed help (students included). On campus, there is places you can study or just chill in such as The Nest or The Hive and the Library. Furthermore, there is many food outlets on campus such as a mini supermarket to be able to quickly get any essentials or to buy lunch. There is also a Starbucks and other food outlets such as Wates House and Hillside. Every week there is also a fresh fruit and veg market so you can get these at your door step without going to Tesco. There is a nightclub on campus called Rubix which is always putting on great events each week. I wouldn't say university is strict like a school setting would be because you are expected to be independent and do your work on time. Of course students will follow certain rules, however there is a lot more independence at university.

As for placement there is a Career service team that can help with CVs, cover letters and even interviews. You can book meetings to get advice from a careers advisor or get them to check over your CV or cover letter before you apply. This is what I did when I applied for placements, I made sure to book a slot with the team for them to review my CV! They are really helpful and want the best for you so they are always there with any career queries. The universities also allows students to search for placements through a specific tool they use. Here you will see available placements and they would be approved by the university. You can also self-source your placement, for example through LinkedIn, indeed etc. If you self-source a placement you would need to get approval from the university first that it's suitable :smile: If you was unable to gain a placement, you would switch your course to the 3 year course instead, so it's very simple!

I hope this helps, do you have any more questions, I am more than happy to help!

Becca

thank you! this was really helpful :smile:
Reply 5
Hi there!

Becca

Hello,I was wondering do you know if surrey gives placement years in the NHS?Thank you
Original post by 1234?
Hello,I was wondering do you know if surrey gives placement years in the NHS?Thank you

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Yes the university does support NHS placements :smile:

Becca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending