The Student Room Group

15 year old Muslim and Jamaican girl

Heyy. I'm a 15 year old Muslim and Jamaican girl. Im currently in year 11- but i'm homeschooled. What would you say the biggest difficulty is for you being black? Also,(if you are) what is the drawback you've faced being Muslim? And lastly, what do you think are the biggest issues 15 year olds will face at that age?

Being 15, a black Jamaican AND Muslim girl, there are so many obstacles in my life- i think being black is the biggest though. I've been led to believe this because i faced a lot of racism at school, from people insulting me about my lips, to my skin and my height e . t . c
I'm like a milk chocolate brown color lol not REALLY dark but not REALLY light. My dad has really light brown/amber eyes but sadly i got my moms darkish brown eyes lol. I really didn't think being black was a bad thing- (i live in the UK) since there are so many black people here, but I leant that black people are mostly portrayed as thugs and low-lifers. Because of people constantly making fun of me I got taken out of school and am struggling with motivation to study . I have REALLY bad social anxiety. and ON TOP OF ALL OF THIS IM M U S L I M AND intj!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
at this point, nothing could get worse (┳Д┳)
Hey, I actually cried :frown: reading this.. Why are you thinking of yourself this way?
So what if you are a certain religion
BE PROUD OF IT :crown:
So what if you come from a certain race
EMBRACE IT :closedeyes:
And so what if you have certain features but wanted others
ROCK YOUR FEATURES because there's only one of you in this whole wide world and nobody can take your place so place your footprint on this planet and show the world what you can do and what success you can bring to this world! :grouphugs:

As for your question in general I have friends who are part of your religion and they are getting on with life completely fine. Racism exists, discrimination exists it will never just vanish but it is not as apparent in some areas compared to others. If you ever and I mean ever feel that you are being bullied because of who you are then make sure you tell someone and stand up for it because at the end of the day we are all Human we may not all have the same religion and we may not have the same skin tone but so what? We are all humans and we should be proud of who we are and get along with each other.
Stay strong I am here if you ever need to message someone and if anyone is being rude towards you please do not hesitate to contact me I will try my very best to be there for you. :bubbles:

Kind regards,
Roadtosuccess
:h:
Original post by CraZyGirL26
Heyy. I'm a 15 year old Muslim and Jamaican girl. Im currently in year 11- but i'm homeschooled. What would you say the biggest difficulty is for you being black? Also,(if you are) what is the drawback you've faced being Muslim? And lastly, what do you think are the biggest issues 15 year olds will face at that age?

Being 15, a black Jamaican AND Muslim girl, there are so many obstacles in my life- i think being black is the biggest though. I've been led to believe this because i faced a lot of racism at school, from people insulting me about my lips, to my skin and my height e . t . c
I'm like a milk chocolate brown color lol not REALLY dark but not REALLY light. My dad has really light brown/amber eyes but sadly i got my moms darkish brown eyes lol. I really didn't think being black was a bad thing- (i live in the UK) since there are so many black people here, but I leant that black people are mostly portrayed as thugs and low-lifers. Because of people constantly making fun of me I got taken out of school and am struggling with motivation to study . I have REALLY bad social anxiety. and ON TOP OF ALL OF THIS IM M U S L I M AND intj!!!

Hi! I'm a 16 year old black girl (not Muslim though). Trust me, being black is a double edged sword and I get you. Tbh I've always wanted to live in a place with many other people that looked like me (I've gone to white dominated schools growing up and lived in a white dominated area when I was younger). I love being black and being from my home country (Nigeria) but it really knocks at your confidence when you know you have to fight for others to see you as how you see yourself.
I don't really have any amazing advice since I haven't figured out how to navigate through life fully while being a black girl but I can certainly say, maintaining a sense of self appreciation and love is important. Even if people are too shallow to see who you are beyond what you look like, know that you are enough for yourself. Consuming more content by other black women really helps me. (like on YouTube, Insta and even podcasts).
I wish you all the best with your homeschooling journey though, and leaving the toxic school environment may turn out to be a positive!

I'm 14, black and Muslim. Have faced no difficulties being black nor have I had any problems as a Muslim.
Reply 5
As far as 'things getting worse' go, things could be much much worse you could be growing up in africa or a muslim country as opposed to a free one where the worst thing youll face is the odd rude comment in school.. 1st world problems and all that.
Reply 6
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
Hey, I actually cried :frown: reading this.. Why are you thinking of yourself this way?
So what if you are a certain religion
BE PROUD OF IT :crown:
So what if you come from a certain race
EMBRACE IT :closedeyes:
And so what if you have certain features but wanted others
ROCK YOUR FEATURES because there's only one of you in this whole wide world and nobody can take your place so place your footprint on this planet and show the world what you can do and what success you can bring to this world! :grouphugs:

As for your question in general I have friends who are part of your religion and they are getting on with life completely fine. Racism exists, discrimination exists it will never just vanish but it is not as apparent in some areas compared to others. If you ever and I mean ever feel that you are being bullied because of who you are then make sure you tell someone and stand up for it because at the end of the day we are all Human we may not all have the same religion and we may not have the same skin tone but so what? We are all humans and we should be proud of who we are and get along with each other.
Stay strong I am here if you ever need to message someone and if anyone is being rude towards you please do not hesitate to contact me I will try my very best to be there for you. :bubbles:

Kind regards,
Roadtosuccess
:h:

oh okay tysm :}
Reply 7
Original post by a.planet
Hi! I'm a 16 year old black girl (not Muslim though). Trust me, being black is a double edged sword and I get you. Tbh I've always wanted to live in a place with many other people that looked like me (I've gone to white dominated schools growing up and lived in a white dominated area when I was younger). I love being black and being from my home country (Nigeria) but it really knocks at your confidence when you know you have to fight for others to see you as how you see yourself.
I don't really have any amazing advice since I haven't figured out how to navigate through life fully while being a black girl but I can certainly say, maintaining a sense of self appreciation and love is important. Even if people are too shallow to see who you are beyond what you look like, know that you are enough for yourself. Consuming more content by other black women really helps me. (like on YouTube, Insta and even podcasts).
I wish you all the best with your homeschooling journey though, and leaving the toxic school environment may turn out to be a positive!

wow you get me XD
Reply 8
Yea, true- BUT WHY IS BEING PREGNANT A BAD THING? LOL
Reply 9
Original post by Napp
As far as 'things getting worse' go, things could be much much worse you could be growing up in africa or a muslim country as opposed to a free one where the worst thing youll face is the odd rude comment in school.. 1st world problems and all that.

true, true

You're Muslim right? imagine telling your parents you're pregnant...
Original post by summerbirdreads
You're Muslim right? imagine telling your parents you're pregnant...

Yea, 0-0

At 15 that'd be bloody horrendous.
I'm Muslim and I never really faced difficulties because of that.
Original post by ROTL94
At 15 that'd be bloody horrendous.

really? i dont think so-
some 15 year olds can be ready to have kids right?
really? i dont think so-

Kids raising kids rarely ever leads to positive outcomes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by summerbirdreads
I'm Muslim and I never really faced difficulties because of that.

oh, understood
really? i dont think so-

No, you're a kid at 15, you can't really take care of kids.
Original post by ROTL94

rarely, but its POSSIBLE
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ROTL94

Exactly! PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest