The Student Room Group

How to Enjoy Life as a Student Living At Home

So I am currently a freshman undergrad living at home and I am somehow not fining university as joyful as I perhaps imagined it to be. I have friends but I don't feel as though I am part of the university if you know what I mean????

has this happened to anyone???
Hey im currently a first year living at home- my family had a few tragedies this year and i decided it would be more helpful for them if i stayed at home. I get how you feel because i feel the same way, but i have spoken to 3rd years who lived at home and the feeling left away with time.
Although i am personally considering moving in for my 2nd year
Reply 2
Same here living at home, because family doesn’t really allow me to move away. Mum is a single parent and I am the oldest. Get how u feel. 🙂
I'm not surprised you feel like you not really part of the university. I mean a lot of students bond because they are away from home for the first time it's common ground. I often say "if you're in halls or accommodation you're at uni if you're living at home you're just going to uni." I know that sounds harsh but that's just how it is I cant imagine not having been in accommodation or a student house. I mean how do you engage in societies and nights out and things don't think you can just out of interest how long is your commute?
Original post by jonathanemptage
I'm not surprised you feel like you not really part of the university. I mean a lot of students bond because they are away from home for the first time it's common ground. I often say "if you're in halls or accommodation you're at uni if you're living at home you're just going to uni." I know that sounds harsh but that's just how it is I cant imagine not having been in accommodation or a student house. I mean how do you engage in societies and nights out and things don't think you can just out of interest how long is your commute?

As someone who does commute i have personally had no problem attending social events, if i want to drink and cant get a lift late i book a hotel room and stay the night. Uni definitely isn’t just about living in, in fact the majority of people i’ve spoken to who chose to live in feel isolated, alone and nearing depressed. Sometimes its just more about where your values lay. For me uni was never about drinking its about meeting new friends and getting a good degree- both i can do while commuting
Original post by Anonymous
So I am currently a freshman undergrad living at home and I am somehow not fining university as joyful as I perhaps imagined it to be. I have friends but I don't feel as though I am part of the university if you know what I mean????

It's university not the pub fgs

Hi,
Going to university can be quite a big adjustment for many people so I'm sure you're not the only one who feels this way. If you feel you would benefit from moving to university accommodation if possible you could look into this. Or you could look into doing this for year two or three and move into a place with the friends you have made rather than moving into student halls in year one.

You could try get involved in the universities clubs and societies and any events that take place to try and feel more involved and part of the universities community.

Hope this helped.
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador.

Hey!

I just wanted to check in and see how you were and whether you felt more involved in your university? Have you joined any clubs or societies? Or perhaps you could look into volunteering opportunities, part-time jobs on campus or becoming a student ambassador. They're all fab ways of getting more involved with your uni and meeting new people :smile:

Do you feel you're not apart of your university because you live at home? Perhaps joining the clubs and societies will combat this feeling as you can attend any events they hold as well. One of our students wrote a blog post 'Studying from home - a rarely mentioned student' and shares tips and advice on feeling out of place whilst living at home, how to make friends more easily and ways to get involved - I thought you might find it useful!

I hope you've found your feet a bit more and have made plans with your course mates and feel more involved :smile:

Good luck with everything.

Becky

IMO living at home is easier. Less stress on bills, etc and more time to spend with family.. I still attend societies and events at uni but never been in accom.
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
IMO living at home is easier. Less stress on bills, etc and more time to spend with family.. I still attend societies and events at uni but never been in accom.

In the nicest possible way in halls or at leat my halls WiFi electricity water and all other bills were included in the rent so we didn't really need to worry about that in my experience. Spending tome wit family isn't really too much of a problem what with Skype, Whats App, mobile phones and the like also it's not a prison there is noting to stop you visiting home at the weekends and returning in the breaks.
(edited 2 years ago)
In the nicest possible way in halls or at leat my halls WiFi electricity water and all other bills were included in the rent so we didn't really need to worry about that in my experience. Spending tome wit family isn't really too much of a problem what with Skype, Whats App, mobile phones and the like also it's not a prison there is noting to stop you visiting home at the weekends and returning in the breaks.

Depends on the person tbh. Skype aint it for me

Hi there,
I definitely think that university is played up to be the best time of your life, but in truth, it does involve a lot of boredom and feelings of alienation. You might be paranoid that everyone else is having more fun than you, but everyone is in the same boat. No one is constantly having loads of fun, that's just an unrealistic stereotype of university life. The main thing that university fives you socially is the opportunity to meet new people, even if you don't form great relationships with these people, you are still building your confidence and hopefully having some laughs along the way.
Hopefully that didn't sound too negative because it really is a positive thing. I would just advise you to take opportunities when they arise to meet new people and strengthen friendships, even if this means stepping out of your comfort zone. I think you'll thank yourself in the long run.
Hope this helps! Grace.

Which uni is this? 😂
Yeah i lived at home for the whole of my undergrad, and i hated it. No matter how many societies you join or whatever, it will definitely still feel like you're in school rather than uni.
Original post by ToGodly
Which uni is this? 😂

Solent Denary halls. Emily Davis which used to be second and third years had a meter for electricity but yeah most of the halls I've been in have had most things included I would guess that most unis do that given that halls can cost around £5000 a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending