The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University

I’m thinking of applying to Lancaster for Psychology to start in 2022 but my grades are currently ACC and they require AAB, is there any chance I’ll get in or should I just not bother?
Original post by j45474
I’m thinking of applying to Lancaster for Psychology to start in 2022 but my grades are currently ACC and they require AAB, is there any chance I’ll get in or should I just not bother?
When you say your grades are currently ACC, do you mean that's what your school will be putting as the predicted grades on your UCAS form? Or just the grades you are getting on assessments at present?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
(if you hit the quote button below my post you should be able to reply directly to me)
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
When you say your grades are currently ACC, do you mean that's what your school will be putting as the predicted grades on your UCAS form? Or just the grades you are getting on assessments at present?

Yes, they’re my predicted grades right now
It will depend on the standard of other people who apply no no-one will know for certain at this stage - especially since you are two grades below the requirements. Its worth applying but be prepared for No, and make sure your other choices are more realistic.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
It will depend on the standard of other people who apply no no-one will know for certain at this stage - especially since you are two grades below the requirements. Its worth applying but be prepared for No, and make sure your other choices are more realistic.

Yeah, I figured but I just thought i’d ask just in case, thanks :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6904136 Post number 10, I posted the list of all of the courses that were advertised in clearing in August of 2021 and psychology is there, so they could take a reduced offer.
Unrelated but my youngest is looking at zoology and they advertises as AAB, but clearing this year they was taking in BBB. So Most definitely keep them in mind, even as a clearing option its worth looking at.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by j45474

dont bother. then u wont be disappointed :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6904136 Post number 10, I posted the list of all of the courses that were advertised in clearing in August of 2021 and psychology is there, so they could take a reduced offer.
Unrelated but my youngest is looking at zoology and they advertises as AAB, but clearing this year they was taking in BBB. So Most definitely keep them in mind, even as a clearing option its worth looking at.

ohhh thank you so much cause i’ve really been stressing about this and hopefully i’ll do good on these next mock exams and get the required grades but if not at least there’s a small chance i could get in. also good luck to her with the zoology course! my friend is also applying to that and i’ve heard it’s really interesting
Original post by j45474
ohhh thank you so much cause i’ve really been stressing about this and hopefully i’ll do good on these next mock exams and get the required grades but if not at least there’s a small chance i could get in. also good luck to her with the zoology course! my friend is also applying to that and i’ve heard it’s really interesting

Thank you :smile: my eldest studies at Lancaster, so we know a bit about the uni. Youngest is in year 12, she also is doing psychology, as well as biology and geography. Shes going to Chester this weekend on open day as its BBC/BCC. Noticed psychology is BBC/BBB there, so worth checking it out as an option :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you :smile: my eldest studies at Lancaster, so we know a bit about the uni. Youngest is in year 12, she also is doing psychology, as well as biology and geography. Shes going to Chester this weekend on open day as its BBC/BCC. Noticed psychology is BBC/BBB there, so worth checking it out as an option :smile:

ohh what is she studying, how is she finding it?? it’s definitely my top choice right now but i’m also applying to manchester, edge hill and UCLAN, so far i haven’t got a fifth option so i actually might check out chester since those grades are more achievable
Original post by j45474
ohh what is she studying, how is she finding it?? it’s definitely my top choice right now but i’m also applying to manchester, edge hill and UCLAN, so far i haven’t got a fifth option so i actually might check out chester since those grades are more achievable

She does particle physics and cosmology and in 2nd year. She loves lancaster and the course. It was hard starting when covid restrictions were on, but was fortunate to get on with all of her housemates, as well as getting into group chats with her subject group and they met for walks when things were shut back then. Second year has been better and she with her friends 3-4 times a week, whether its gaming, disney soc, badminton or to the pub.

One good thing that Lancaster and Chester have in common is they have great character. Chester city is bigger though, so it will have more eateries etc, and looked at the 'things to do in Chester' and seems they have a lot :smile: From your selections they are in the north west region so it could be a maybe :smile: Still put Lancaster on the list if you really want to go for it. You do have 5 choices, so what ever you choose, make sure they have a good range of entry requirements. 1-2 aspirational choice, 2-3 choices which are achievable goals, and 1 choice which is a slightly lower grade boundary. Then come feb march next year, you will have a more of an understanding as to where you are at academically and make a better more informed choice of your firm/insurance. You might in the next 3 months go from ACC to AAB, so worth a go :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
She does particle physics and cosmology and in 2nd year. She loves lancaster and the course. It was hard starting when covid restrictions were on, but was fortunate to get on with all of her housemates, as well as getting into group chats with her subject group and they met for walks when things were shut back then. Second year has been better and she with her friends 3-4 times a week, whether its gaming, disney soc, badminton or to the pub.

One good thing that Lancaster and Chester have in common is they have great character. Chester city is bigger though, so it will have more eateries etc, and looked at the 'things to do in Chester' and seems they have a lot :smile: From your selections they are in the north west region so it could be a maybe :smile: Still put Lancaster on the list if you really want to go for it. You do have 5 choices, so what ever you choose, make sure they have a good range of entry requirements. 1-2 aspirational choice, 2-3 choices which are achievable goals, and 1 choice which is a slightly lower grade boundary. Then come feb march next year, you will have a more of an understanding as to where you are at academically and make a better more informed choice of your firm/insurance. You might in the next 3 months go from ACC to AAB, so worth a go :smile:

poor her, first covid year was definitely very hard but it’s starting to die down now and things are going back to normal so hopefully everything will be fine by next year. also that’s amazing, i’m also thinking of doing badminton because i’ve always had an interest and recently i’ve been taking classes, i’m pretty sure it’s one of Lancaster’s focus sports too??

thank you so much though this really did help, i definitely think i could get at least one of my grades up so hopefully i’ll end up making it :smile:
Original post by j45474

Hi @j45474,

I see you've already got some replies, but thought I'd add my thoughts.

I think its worth applying, but before you do its potentially a good idea to talk to the Psychology admissions team.
Showing that you are eager, and have initiative comes off well, and gives you the opportunity to potentially explain any extenuating circumstances (if there are any) / if you believe you'll get higher grades than your predicted.

I didn't have the required grades or subjects, (although subjects was due to extenuating circumstances), but I had a conversation with the admissions team, and I was given an offer. I didn't end up getting the correct grades, but I still got let in- remember they are looking at you as a whole person; they want to make sure you'll be able to stand under the rigor of the degree.

I've really enjoyed my time here, and definitely recommend.
In a nutshell, there aren't any guarantees of course, but it can't hurt to give it a go :smile:

Hope this helps,
Abby, Student Ambassador
Reply 14
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @j45474,

I see you've already got some replies, but thought I'd add my thoughts.

I think its worth applying, but before you do its potentially a good idea to talk to the Psychology admissions team.
Showing that you are eager, and have initiative comes off well, and gives you the opportunity to potentially explain any extenuating circumstances (if there are any) / if you believe you'll get higher grades than your predicted.

I didn't have the required grades or subjects, (although subjects was due to extenuating circumstances), but I had a conversation with the admissions team, and I was given an offer. I didn't end up getting the correct grades, but I still got let in- remember they are looking at you as a whole person; they want to make sure you'll be able to stand under the rigor of the degree.

I've really enjoyed my time here, and definitely recommend.
In a nutshell, there aren't any guarantees of course, but it can't hurt to give it a go :smile:

Hope this helps,
Abby, Student Ambassador

Thank you so much! I will do that, do you know how i could contact the Psychology admissions team, by email or otherwise?
Original post by j45474
Thank you so much! I will do that, do you know how i could contact the Psychology admissions team, by email or otherwise?

Here's the admissions email for all undergraduate courses where you can talk through your application [email protected] but if you have any more questions about the psychology course, here's the email for the department [email protected] . Hope that's helpful!

- Daisy (Final year student) :smile:
Original post by j45474
poor her, first covid year was definitely very hard but it’s starting to die down now and things are going back to normal so hopefully everything will be fine by next year. also that’s amazing, i’m also thinking of doing badminton because i’ve always had an interest and recently i’ve been taking classes, i’m pretty sure it’s one of Lancaster’s focus sports too??

thank you so much though this really did help, i definitely think i could get at least one of my grades up so hopefully i’ll end up making it :smile:

Just been to Chester open day. She loved it. City is amazing. And although it’s not big campus it’s got all she needed.she said it’s definitely going on the top five 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending