The Student Room Group

Why I don't care about migrants crossing the Channel (and neither should you)

Approximately 20,000 migrants have crossed from France to Britain

We have bought in about 4 million people via airplane

so that is a difference of 3,980,000

What you find about the immgiraiton debate is that it is full of outright lies, people hiding their real feelings (white nationalism, fear of Islam etc) and people looking for very short term political wins

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
4 million as in Afghans or EU migrants 😕
(edited 2 years ago)
What on earth are you on about lmao?
Reply 3
Original post by minpum

What you find about the immgiraiton debate is that it is full of outright lies, people hiding their real feelings (white nationalism, fear of Islam etc) and people looking for very short term political wins

And 17 million have crossed from Ireland.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SMEGGGY
4 million as in Afghans or EU migrants 😕

A combination of both.

Only about 20,000 have ever come to the country by sneaking in through boat.

We bring in people from South America, North America, Asia, Africa and the EU by plane. Millions of them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Starship Trooper
What on earth are you on about lmao?

What I said was not complicated.

20,000 came from France via boat.

3.9 million by plane from Africa, Asia, North and South America.

Do the math.

Here's how they deceive you. They deport about 10 people and celebrate it. They ignore the other 3.9 million. It's mass delusion.
Reply 6
Original post by Quady
And 17 million have crossed from Ireland.

Well, the right wing and white nationalists will argue they sort of integrate into British society and are not a problem.
Reply 7
Asylum and immigration are two different things.

Immigrants are generally mildly skilled at a minimum, refugees are deprived and uneducated quite often. Asylum applications are around the 40,000 per year mark.

Refugees (bar translators and the like) are generally of little value to us and given our poor policy regarding allowing multiculturalism I can't say I want most of them here.
Reply 8
Original post by Rakas21
Asylum and immigration are two different things.

Immigrants are generally mildly skilled at a minimum, refugees are deprived and uneducated quite often. Asylum applications are around the 40,000 per year mark.

Refugees (bar translators and the like) are generally of little value to us and given our poor policy regarding allowing multiculturalism I can't say I want most of them here.

"As of February 2015, 113,960 working-age claimants of Department for Work and Pensions benefits were EU migrants (that is, when they first registered for a National Insurance Number, they were a national of another member state). This represents 2.2% of total claimants. Most of these were claiming an “out of work benefit” such as Jobseekers Allowance. However, the total includes some benefits, such as Housing Benefit and Disability Living Allowance, which can be paid to those in or out of work.

As of March 2014 317,800 families who were in receipt of tax credits, 6.8% of total claimants, contained at least one adult who was an EU national at NINo registration. For comparison, those born in the EU (outside the UK) make up about 6% of the working age population."
Reply 9
Original post by minpum
"As of February 2015, 113,960 working-age claimants of Department for Work and Pensions benefits were EU migrants (that is, when they first registered for a National Insurance Number, they were a national of another member state). This represents 2.2% of total claimants. Most of these were claiming an “out of work benefit” such as Jobseekers Allowance. However, the total includes some benefits, such as Housing Benefit and Disability Living Allowance, which can be paid to those in or out of work.

As of March 2014 317,800 families who were in receipt of tax credits, 6.8% of total claimants, contained at least one adult who was an EU national at NINo registration. For comparison, those born in the EU (outside the UK) make up about 6% of the working age population."

EU migrants here are legal immigrants, not asylum seekers. I'm unsure what your point is here.
Reply 10
Original post by Rakas21
EU migrants here are legal immigrants, not asylum seekers. I'm unsure what your point is here.

You say refugees are an economic burden but we have approximately 150,000 EU migrants on benefits.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by minpum
You say refugees are an economic burden but we have approximately 150,000 EU migrants on benefits.

Indeed but that is out of an EU migrant population in the millions. EU migrants are also ethno-culturally 'one of us' generally and absorbed within a generation or two.
Reply 12
Original post by minpum
You say refugees are an economic burden

but

we have approximately 150,000 EU migrants on benefits.

These are not mutually exclusive statements....?
I care about criminal gangs exploiting people, and this is one example but not the only one.
Reply 14
Original post by mondays child
I care about criminal gangs exploiting people, and this is one example but not the only one.

What are you doing about it?
Original post by Rakas21
EU migrants are also ethno-culturally 'one of us' generally and absorbed within a generation or two.

This is the most important part, I think. The real issue with many of those who come from radically different cultures like for example those from Islamic cultures is they don’t integrate they just form enclaves. Its why I like the Danish (iirc) law which said only a certain % of a given areas population can be non-native to stop the kind of ethnic enclaves we see in every major UK city.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Djtoodles
This is the most important part, I think. The real issue with many of those who come from radically different cultures like for example those from Islamic cultures is they don’t integrate they just form enclaves. Its why I like the Danish (iirc) law which said only a certain % of the population can be non-native to stop the kind of ethnic enclaves we see in every major UK city.

Makes an awful lot of sense.
Original post by Rakas21
Indeed but that is out of an EU migrant population in the millions. EU migrants are also ethno-culturally 'one of us' generally and absorbed within a generation or two.

^This.
Original post by minpum

Two things:
1. We want people to migrate legally so that it's fair for everyone. Illegal immigration via channel crossings give strong young men an unfair advantage and also don't let us screen immigrants.
2. Many of the people who migrate legally already have plans with respect to housing. We have to find accommodation without any notice for all those who cross the channel and feed them, which is a monumental task. This is why although only a small proportion of immigrants are coming across the channel, they have a (proportionally) far greater impact.
1- we need to not only end completely illegal immigration into the UK but also go after and expel the hundreds of thousands already here

2- we also need a moratorium to end legal immigration for ten years, at which point it should be put to a referendum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending