The Student Room Group

Physical Natsci

So, I'm planning to spend my Christmas break doing further reading and working on my PS. I'm doing this now because I won't have much time next year because of A-level exams and after I'm done with that, it's only a few months to Oct 15... so don't judge me.

So, I want to apply for physical natsci and specifically chemistry. I did some super curriculars in the past like MOOCs and Chemistry Masterclass but obviously that is no enough...
I also did some research on topics like Bioconjugation, Chemical warfare but I mostly read articles on Planetary, Atmospheric and Geochemistry because that's what I'm interested in. I also read few books like "Oxygen: The Molecule That Made the World", "Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements", "Earth Materials: Introduction to Mineralogy and Petrology", "The Disappearing Spoon", "Stuff Matters" and "Periodic Tales"... . Other than that I did some further "research"(articles and videos) on Astrochemistry/Cosmochemistry , Evolution of Atmosphere and on life of Fritz Haber which doesn't count as I did it just because it was really interesting to say the very least.
Tbh reading true crime books like Radium Girls or The Poisoner's Handbook made me look more into those topics too.

So, I'm mostly interested in Inorganic (ironic, I know) Chemistry and Geochemistry as you can see from the things mentioned above.. So, I'd like more book/article/podcasts/video recommendations.

I don't do EPQ and I never did any competitive exams and I don't have any work experience either.
(edited 2 years ago)
that's a lot.
Original post by rosienotrosie
that's a lot.

Not really, as I can't mention half of those things on my PS but okay.
Original post by summerbirdreads
So, I'm planning to spend my Christmas break doing further reading and working on my PS. I'm doing this now because I won't have much time next year because of A-level exams and after I'm done with that, it's only a few months to Oct 15... so don't judge me.

So, I want to apply for physical natsci and specifically chemistry. I did some super curriculars in the past like MOOCs and Chemistry Masterclass but obviously that is no enough...
I also did some research on topics like Bioconjugation, Chemical warfare but I mostly read articles on Planetary, Atmospheric and Geochemistry because that's what I'm interested in. I also read few books like "Oxygen: The Molecule That Made the World", "Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements", "Earth Materials: Introduction to Mineralogy and Petrology", "The Disappearing Spoon", "Stuff Matters" and "Periodic Tales"... . Other than that I did some further "research"(articles and videos) on Astrochemistry/Cosmochemistry , Evolution of Atmosphere and on life of Fritz Haber which doesn't count as I did it just because it was really interesting to say the very least.
Tbh reading true crime books like Radium Girls or The Poisoner's Handbook made me look more into those topics too.

So, I'm mostly interested in Inorganic (ironic, I know) Chemistry and Geochemistry as you can see from the things mentioned above.. So, I'd like more book/article/podcasts/video recommendations.

I don't do EPQ and I never did any competitive exams and I don't have any work experience either.

Any particular uni, or is it more the course for now, and you'll narrow down the uni options later?
Original post by Reality Check
Any particular uni, or is it more the course for now, and you'll narrow down the uni options later?

Well, I'll apply to Cambridge for Natsci but I'll apply for chemistry elsewhere.
Well, I'll apply to Cambridge for Natsci but I'll apply for chemistry elsewhere.

Of course - always good to apply to the best.

@CheeseIsVeg - could you suggest any inorganic topics that would work here? :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
Of course - always good to apply to the best.

@CheeseIsVeg - could you suggest any inorganic topics that would work here? :smile:

Thank you!
Thank you!

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending