The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge A101 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coldweatherohno
Do we know if 80% of applicants are interviewed for a101 too? I heard that is the case for a100

I don’t think so. There’s a spreadsheet somewhere (I can’t remember where) but given that the applicant : place ratio is so nuts I can’t see them doing it. I’m sure it’s much lower for GEM.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by coldweatherohno
Do we know if 80% of applicants are interviewed for a101 too? I heard that is the case for a100

No, they select 90 people for interview and take around 45
Wow, that's a slim interview ratio. How do they choose who makes it?

Original post by ksennnn
No, they select 90 people for interview and take around 45
Original post by girl2487

when I emailed them before applying they said they will have a holistic approach based on applicants work experience, extenuating circumstances, reasons for gap years and academic performance don't know how true this is but apparently each application will have gone through 2 members of the admissions team to rule out any bias decisions.
Hey guys mind if I ask, what wok experiences have you all obtained so far?
(edited 2 years ago)
I’ve had a full career in global marketing (I might be the oldest person on here at 30 😅) but my medical experience is primarily through volunteer work with the Irish Heart Foundation, nursing homes, voluntary first aid organisations and as a patient (I have a genetic condition) and a patient advocate (my nephew has a very rare combination of things).
Reply 26
Original post by girl2487

One of the collages posted something about having several rounds, first being academic (they choose around a quarter to progress), then on healthcare experience, from which they then choose 90 people. I saw somewhere before they didn’t look at scores across the board, but rather if you pass a certain stage, and if you do, everyone is assessed the same way at the next stage. So that would mean that at interview you are only assessed based on interviews. I know that’s not the case for a100 and I’m not completely sure if they changed it for GEM as well, it may be holistic now.
Original post by CarolineMur
I’ve had a full career in global marketing (I might be the oldest person on here at 30 😅) but my medical experience is primarily through volunteer work with the Irish Heart Foundation, nursing homes, voluntary first aid organisations and as a patient (I have a genetic condition) and a patient advocate (my nephew has a very rare combination of things).

Lol I’m 39 in a few weeks’ time. I AM the granny!!
I am 22 and in my final year of Biomedical Science I have experience working for a year as a HCA at notts hospital and a 1 year at my local care home with 6 months at my local GP. With all this experience I don't even know if ill get an interview :frown: getting scared I have already received 1 rejection from Newcastle prior to interview so now I have lost all hope with cam :frown:
Driving myself a bit mad waiting to hear back from them... on a rollercoaster from 'my application is pretty strong' to 'yeah, but they're only inviting 90 people...so is it top 90 people strong? Probably not'. Cambridge, please put us out of our misery!
Original post by dennm078
Driving myself a bit mad waiting to hear back from them... on a rollercoaster from 'my application is pretty strong' to 'yeah, but they're only inviting 90 people...so is it top 90 people strong? Probably not'. Cambridge, please put us out of our misery!

Exactly!! I need to focus on upcoming exams and assignments due first week back at university and I cannot focus ! only thing running through my mind is one day I'm gonna open my emails and see a rejection letter ! :frown: the stress is daunting !
Reply 31
Original post by Deepali2022
Exactly!! I need to focus on upcoming exams and assignments due first week back at university and I cannot focus ! only thing running through my mind is one day I'm gonna open my emails and see a rejection letter ! :frown: the stress is daunting !

I know it sounds a little defeatist but it is the most competitive course that cambridge does, and cambridge itself is pretty competitive:smile: there are around 650 applications for 40 places, so tbh even really incredible people will get rejected. It helps to make peace with the fact that the probability of even having an interview is very low, no matter how amazing a candidate you are, so maybe it isn’t really worth worrying about at the moment. It doesn’t really get you anywhere, all you can do is do well at the things you have to do now
Original post by ksennnn
I know it sounds a little defeatist but it is the most competitive course that cambridge does, and cambridge itself is pretty competitive:smile: there are around 650 applications for 40 places, so tbh even really incredible people will get rejected. It helps to make peace with the fact that the probability of even having an interview is very low, no matter how amazing a candidate you are, so maybe it isn’t really worth worrying about at the moment. It doesn’t really get you anywhere, all you can do is do well at the things you have to do now

Shockingly, 'it's the most competitive course at the most competitive university' has not comforted me hahaha
Shockingly, 'it's the most competitive course at the most competitive university' has not comforted me hahaha

To comfort you, Cambridge is nowhere near being the most competitive med school :smile:

It will be one of the newer med schools e.g. UCLan, KMMS etc.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 34
Just emailed them earlier and interviews will be sent out this Wednesday. Best of luck everyone.

(And no offense ecolier volunteer team, I know your intensions are good but that just sounds a little condescending. Sometimes its just better to listen, say nothing, and the odd time give positive reassurance that everything will work out in someway regardless.)
Original post by healyo2
Just emailed them earlier and interviews will be sent out this Wednesday. Best of luck everyone.

(And no offense ecolier volunteer team, I know your intensions are good but that just sounds a little condescending. Sometimes its just better to listen, say nothing, and the odd time give positive reassurance that everything will work out in someway regardless.)

You’re a gem for finding out- at least we know when to expect it one way or the other
You’re a gem for finding out- at least we know when to expect it one way or the other

On St Edmunds post on the student room they replied back saying 15th as well !! good luck everyone !! :smile:
Original post by healyo2

écolier has helped literally thousands of people with medical applications. He is a respected consultant, and is involved in medical admissions.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
écolier has helped literally thousands of people with medical applications. He is a respected consultant, and is involved in medical admissions.

And you are...

Alright, hold up a bit. Ecolier is very helpful, absolutely, but posted a slightly patronising response to me. It’s fine to call that out while also recognising that ecolier helps so many people out on here, which OP did.

Healyo2 actually has helped at least one person (me) by informing me that interview invites will go out on Wednesday. I hadn’t seen the eddies post about it.
Original post by healyo2

Alright, hold up a bit. Ecolier is very helpful, absolutely, but posted a slightly patronising response to me. It’s fine to call that out while also recognising that ecolier helps so many people out on here, which OP did.

The irony, obvs, is that your response to someone calling out a SLIGHTLY patronising response is to be EXCEPTIONALLY patronising.

Healyo2 actually has helped at least one person (me) by informing me that interview invites will go out on Wednesday. I hadn’t seen the eddies post about it.

I have absolutely no intention of further participation along this discussion, but please tell me how have I been patronising or condescending?

I literally have just said that Cambridge med (both A100 or A101) is not the most competitive - that's just a fact.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending