The Student Room Group

Materials science 2022 thread

Hi guys! I’ve not found a materials thread on here for 2022 entry, and it’d be nice to get to know more people applying for materials!
I’ve applied to Oxford, Imperial, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham!
Please feel free to reply and participate! There’s not many materials stuff out there!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello Ghostcake,
just try to reactivate your thread :-) and initiate some Materials Science discussion here
I am a French student, I already have received offers from Sheffield (after their online applicant day) and Manchester (no interview, very quick offer received on Nov 10th..), I just attended today Imperial College Online applicant Day, and I also just received this afternoon an interview invitation from Oxford St Anne College (with no precise interview date being indicated btw), with all these interviews taken place in the middle of mock exams for the French baccalaureate at my school - So quite a busy period for sure.
Cheers
Reply 2
Hello Phil02! Thanks for replying! I’m sort of in the exact same position as you! I have offers from Manchester and Sheffield, waiting post-interview on Imperial and I’ve got an interview at Mansfield!
I’m also right in the middle of national exams, so you’re right! Quite a busy period indeed!
Did you receive an email about your second interview yet?
Reply 3
Original post by ghostcake
Hello Phil02! Thanks for replying! I’m sort of in the exact same position as you! I have offers from Manchester and Sheffield, waiting post-interview on Imperial and I’ve got an interview at Mansfield!
I’m also right in the middle of national exams, so you’re right! Quite a busy period indeed!
Did you receive an email about your second interview yet?

Nope, invitation came today with the indication that dates and times for both interviews will be communicated later
Reply 4
Aah I see, same for me! How do you plan on prepping?
Reply 5
hi, just wanted to know - is there no interview if you apply to manchester to study materials?
Reply 6
Original post by lufiasx
hi, just wanted to know - is there no interview if you apply to manchester to study materials?

No, they don’t have an interview at Manchester for materials
Reply 7
Aah I see, same for me! How do you plan on prepping?

Just rehearsing the basics in Physical Chemistry :-)
Anyhow, looks like all Oxford interviews for Materials Science will take place on Dec 13-15th (as one could guess from the "social events" calendar ) Anyhow just got invites for Dec.13 & 14th afternoon...
I am just waiting now for Imperial feedback. Would be nice to have it before Oxford interviews :-)
Have you already heard from them since your interview?
Reply 8
Original post by Phil02
Just rehearsing the basics in Physical Chemistry :-)
Anyhow, looks like all Oxford interviews for Materials Science will take place on Dec 13-15th (as one could guess from the "social events" calendar ) Anyhow just got invites for Dec.13 & 14th afternoon...
I am just waiting now for Imperial feedback. Would be nice to have it before Oxford interviews :-)
Have you already heard from them since your interview?

I haven’t heard from Imperial yet, although I do remember them saying they might get back to us after Christmas. I have my interviews on 14th and 15th! Sorry if I sound a bit thick but what’s the social events calendar?
Reply 9
I haven’t heard from Imperial yet, although I do remember them saying they might get back to us after Christmas. I have my interviews on 14th and 15th! Sorry if I sound a bit thick but what’s the social events calendar?

To be 100% precise, i was just referring to the 'Virtual Hospitality events" taking place around the interview times..
Reply 10
Original post by Phil02
To be 100% precise, i was just referring to the 'Virtual Hospitality events" taking place around the interview times..

Oh! Yeah! That makes sense, thank you!
I’m pretty nervous for the interviews 😓
Reply 11
Original post by Phil02
Hello Ghostcake,
just try to reactivate your thread :-) and initiate some Materials Science discussion here
I am a French student, I already have received offers from Sheffield (after their online applicant day) and Manchester (no interview, very quick offer received on Nov 10th..), I just attended today Imperial College Online applicant Day, and I also just received this afternoon an interview invitation from Oxford St Anne College (with no precise interview date being indicated btw), with all these interviews taken place in the middle of mock exams for the French baccalaureate at my school - So quite a busy period for sure.
Cheers

@Phil02 did you apply to Birmingham as well?
Reply 12
@Phil02 did you apply to Birmingham as well?

Hi Ghostcake,
how were your Oxford interviews?
On my side, the first one went fine, but I just accumulated wrong and embarrassing answers during the second one.
A few minutes before that 2nd interview, I had just received my Imperial offer (great timing) so I was already thinking about many other things.
Anyhow, I will most likely be heading to South Kensington next year. I just need to choose between Manchester and Sheffield as my insurance choice.
(just have a look right now at the brand new Manchester Engineering campus buildings...)

PS : I didn't apply to Birmingham
Reply 13
Original post by Phil02
Hi Ghostcake,
how were your Oxford interviews?
On my side, the first one went fine, but I just accumulated wrong and embarrassing answers during the second one.
A few minutes before that 2nd interview, I had just received my Imperial offer (great timing) so I was already thinking about many other things.
Anyhow, I will most likely be heading to South Kensington next year. I just need to choose between Manchester and Sheffield as my insurance choice.
(just have a look right now at the brand new Manchester Engineering campus buildings...)

PS : I didn't apply to Birmingham

Hello! My Oxford interviews went decently! (I guess we’ll find out soon :smile:)
I also got an offer from Imperial! And I will be very confused between choosing between Oxford and imperial if I get an offer at Oxford ofc hehe
I have checked out the new campus at Manchester! Which looked fabulous by the way!
Congratulations on all your offers!
Hey guys! I got an offer yesterday from Queen's! What about y'all? Is there any group chat?
Reply 15
Original post by eaglestorm5000
Hey guys! I got an offer yesterday from Queen's! What about y'all? Is there any group chat?

Hi! I also received an offer from Mansfield!
There isn’t a group chat yet, but I can make one! Where should I make it?
Instagram/Whatsapp?
Hi! I also received an offer from Mansfield!
There isn’t a group chat yet, but I can make one! Where should I make it?

Are you on the Whatsapp/IG gc for Mansfield people? I can add you if you like! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by lemonop123
Are you on the Whatsapp/IG gc for Mansfield people? I can add you if you like! :smile:

Yes please! Could you add me on WhatsApp? I’ll DM you my phone number!
Reply 19
Yes please! Could you add me on WhatsApp? I’ll DM you my phone number!

Hi guys. I applied for bio materials and tissue engineering at imperial and I’ve been told that I have an interview but not received a date. How long were you given between the interview invite and the interview day? Also how was the interview and what kind of questions were you asked?

Quick Reply

Latest