The Student Room Group

Genetic Counselling

What genetic counselling options are offered for polygenic conditions such as schizophrenia?
Do you mean in terms of having IVF and the possible outcome for the baby?

I have schizophrenia and was told there's no way they can screen for it.
Sorry i know this isnt of any help to you at all, but what is genetic counselling? Part of my A level course is about schizophrenia so this is of interest to me as i find it fascinating
Original post by Sabertooth
Do you mean in terms of having IVF and the possible outcome for the baby?

I have schizophrenia and was told there's no way they can screen for it.

Yes this would be the case, not for schizophrenia though as there's no screening, however studies can show the linking within a family, for example GWAS studies identified several SNPs in a family.
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Yes this would be the case, not for schizophrenia though as there's no screening, however studies can show the linking within a family, for example GWAS studies identified several SNPs in a family.

Interesting. :beard:
Original post by Squiggles1238
Sorry i know this isnt of any help to you at all, but what is genetic counselling? Part of my A level course is about schizophrenia so this is of interest to me as i find it fascinating

Genetic counselling process of helping people understand and adapt to the genetic, medical, psychological and familial implications of the genetic contributions to disease.
However this is only for genetic disorders which can be screened for and detected, schizophrenia cannot
Genetic counselling process of helping people understand and adapt to the genetic, medical, psychological and familial implications of the genetic contributions to disease.
However this is only for genetic disorders which can be screened for and detected, schizophrenia cannot

I'm a bit confused - if you know schizophrenia can't be screened for, why did you make this thread?

oh i see, thank you for responding!!
Original post by black tea
I'm a bit confused - if you know schizophrenia can't be screened for, why did you make this thread?

counselling can still be offered i think, it was a uni tutorial question but the lecturer didnt go over the counselling options and if there are any
counselling can still be offered i think, it was a uni tutorial question but the lecturer didnt go over the counselling options and if there are any

I have never heard of genetic counselling being offered for a mental health condition

I am currently getting my parents' DNA screened so my spouse and I can have a child. My schizophrenia came up during an appointment and the doctor was just like "nope can't do anything. Next question". I don't think there are counseling options for it.

Quick Reply

Latest