The Student Room Group

Failed 2year Nursing

Hi
I have failed 4 assignments in total and now I am being dismissed from the nursing programme. My personal tutor has told me I can ask to re take the year due to extenuating circumstances. I have been going through a lot with family and my grandma has now became bedbound. Before I failed they asked me if I wanted to take an interruption but I refused because I was near the end of year 2. If someone had been in this position before please let me know. Or any advice would be appreciated 🙂
Reply 1
Original post by Star2121
Hi
I have failed 4 assignments in total and now I am being dismissed from the nursing programme. My personal tutor has told me I can ask to re take the year due to extenuating circumstances. I have been going through a lot with family and my grandma has now became bedbound. Before I failed they asked me if I wanted to take an interruption but I refused because I was near the end of year 2. If someone had been in this position before please let me know. Or any advice would be appreciated 🙂

I would take the advice given and use the method of extenuating circumstances. Most universities have a system like this in-place. Talk about how circumstances around you that greatly impacted your ability to study.
Sometimes you can resit a module but it would be capped at 40% even if you got 98%.

Speak to student support to offload and as a tool to support your claim for extenuating circumstances.
Good luck and I am sure you will be fine.
Reply 2
Hi
Thank you for your response. I am going down the route of extenuating circumstances however I cannot resit the module as it two different modules I have failed so equating to 4 times in total. I am very worried and I keep being sick as I have nothing to fall back on really. I have had a lot go on in my life but I am ready to make changes. They have advised me to still submit outstanding assignments I have left.
Thank you for your honest advice x
Hi

Hi
@Emily_B
Take advise from university as that's best option to you under the circumstances as at least you'll get another chance of passing your second year nursing rather than not getting it.

Obviously you'll get this other opportunity in passing but also remember if you fail it again you'll be dismissed.
Repeating your second year isn't end of things as you'll know what to expect from this with already doing it.

I'm a NHS registered midwife and you'll not been only person who is in this situation as yourself
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi
@Emily_B
Take advise from university as that's best option to you under the circumstances as at least you'll get another chance of passing your second year nursing rather than not getting it.

Obviously you'll get this other opportunity in passing but also remember if you fail it again you'll be dismissed.
Repeating your second year isn't end of things as you'll know what to expect from this with already doing it.

I'm a NHS registered midwife and you'll not been only person who is in this situation as yourself

Hi Tracey
Thank you for your response. Well I don’t know if they wlll grant exceptional circumstances but I can apply as I have had a lot going on however things have recently calmed down.
Thank you for your advice x
Hi Tracey
Thank you for your response. Well I don’t know if they wlll grant exceptional circumstances but I can apply as I have had a lot going on however things have recently calmed down.
Thank you for your advice x

Hi

You are most welcome with reply.

You won't know untill you actually apply what will happen as hopefully they will take in consideration of exceptional circumstances ok.
Don't give up untill you obviously can't take it any further.
You'll have to be very committed if given this opportunity of another chance as you will know by now you won't get another one.

Try and keep things calmed down and hopefully you'll get through this situation with offer of redoing your second year nursing and go on and qualify.
Reply 6
Hi Tracey
Just an update I have be reinstated onto my course by the university. Things are going very well for myself at the moment I’m just rather anxious going back into clinical placement.
Other placements I have been to have let me be flexible with my Rota as in they would let me change days to accommodate childcare issues. I did ask a lecturer if this could still be requested and she said no because I would fail professional conduct, however I have not had any issues before if i needed to switch around shifts. I am a single mum and my circumstances have now changed since I started the programme now and my mum helps out usually when I have placement, but she also works a full time job. I’m nervous I’m not going to find the childcare especially in the two week break during Christmas. I have always worked my required hours for the week ect. Have yourself or anyone you know faced similar circumstances? I wouldn’t want to fail professional conduct because I cannot find appropriate childcare and also my child is 5. I do always find a way somehow but when I informed my new placement regarding my circumstances and requests to change some shifts around they were being quite hostile and rude on more than one occasion to me over the phone so I’m just really anxious overall with starting in that placement area. I did report the attitude and rudeness to the university on this occasion because I haven’t started yet and I felt if they were being abrupt to me over the phone how am I going to be treated when placement commences. I did feel if I was to talk to someone like that as a student nurse I would be made accountable for my comments.
So yes just another day in the life of a student nurse. I am persevering and trying to stay positive as much as I can.
Thank you 🙏🏽
reading this as a student nurse in her second month is scaring me a bit! im glad that you've been reinstated though, i have my first placement in january and i feel sick about it

keep going strong, you're in this degree for a reason! :smile:
Hi Tracey
Just an update I have be reinstated onto my course by the university. Things are going very well for myself at the moment I’m just rather anxious going back into clinical placement.
Other placements I have been to have let me be flexible with my Rota as in they would let me change days to accommodate childcare issues. I did ask a lecturer if this could still be requested and she said no because I would fail professional conduct, however I have not had any issues before if i needed to switch around shifts. I am a single mum and my circumstances have now changed since I started the programme now and my mum helps out usually when I have placement, but she also works a full time job. I’m nervous I’m not going to find the childcare especially in the two week break during Christmas. I have always worked my required hours for the week ect. Have yourself or anyone you know faced similar circumstances? I wouldn’t want to fail professional conduct because I cannot find appropriate childcare and also my child is 5. I do always find a way somehow but when I informed my new placement regarding my circumstances and requests to change some shifts around they were being quite hostile and rude on more than one occasion to me over the phone so I’m just really anxious overall with starting in that placement area. I did report the attitude and rudeness to the university on this occasion because I haven’t started yet and I felt if they were being abrupt to me over the phone how am I going to be treated when placement commences. I did feel if I was to talk to someone like that as a student nurse I would be made accountable for my comments.
So yes just another day in the life of a student nurse. I am persevering and trying to stay positive as much as I can.
Thank you 🙏🏽

Hi star2121

Thanks for your update you given me about your university issue you had earlier on regarding being dismissed from the nursing course..

I'm pleased that you have been given the opportunity to restart your course after being reinstated, just make sure you don't fall foul again with the situation you were in as any issues make sure you get them resolved soon as possible rather than waiting okay.

I'm glad you are enjoying things again with it and there's nothing to worry about going back to doing placements as make sure you have everything in place before you start them. Yes I think that not everywhere is accommodating when you are trying to arrange it around childcare, ( only thing I can suggest is that you speak with your course leader and see if there's anything that they can assist you with regarding the shift's and to help you sort your childcare).

You'll know that you are solely responsible for attending your placements etc so you have to make sure you are doing it according to your coursework. You'll have to hope that your shifts are corresponding with when your mum is of herself and anyone else who can assist you with things while you are attending your placement shifts. You'll be able to rearrange some of your shifts but perhaps not every week because you are supposed to work similar shifts as your supervisor/ mentor. Unfortunately some staff can be rude to students which is unfortunately I'm afraid but perhaps you'll have to speak with your course leader or try again with talking to your ward manager or sister about it. Ask for a reason why you are unable to rearrange a few of your shifts about to help you out...!! If you feel unhappy with the placement then the only option is unfortunately to talk with your course leader who'll hopefully be helpful in finding you another one but at least give it a go and see what happens when you arrive for your shift.
You are right about talking out of place as a student nurse you'll be held accountable for your actions which is why you try not to get yourself in those situations okay.

Usually students have the two weeks of at Christmas time so you should hopefully be okay with things there unless you are being made to work through it for placements which I don't think you should be doing. I have never worked over the Christmas period as a student and none of my students I have mentored never worked either over Christmas time.

Try and be positive and get yourself through it without any problems okay. Your main point is you are trying to get yourself qualified as a registered nurse 😜😜.

Keep me posted on how you are getting on with things okay ta...🙏😀😀
Reply 9
Hi Tracey
Thank you for your response yet again! Well I’m feeling abit more optimistic now I think I was rather sad because of the way I got spoken to over the phone but hey ho. No I definitely don’t want anymore problems with anything. I’m doing better academically too which is making me feel positive about everything.
Well this year now I’ve came back Rotas are around Christmas time but I get Christmas Eve, Christmas day and Boxing Day off so I guess it’s ok. But I did like the two weeks I had off. I will keep you posted I start placement soon so looking forward to it all.
Thank you yet again for your response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending