The Student Room Group

I did terribly in mocks, should I drop a subject?

I'm in my second year of A levels and I'm having the exams in 3 months. I've just gotten my mock reports and I've scored DDDC, Biology,chemistry,Maths,Psychology respectively. I feel like the main reason for these marks was because I wasn't able to manage my time properly between studies and extra-curriculars , I was bombarded with school events etc...and so I ended up cramming and studying everything the day before but it did not go well. Should I consider dropping a subject (Psychology) or do I still have the time to work hard and at least score an A or a B for each subject. I feel so directionless at times as I still haven't found out what I want to pursue for the future, but I know it won't be somewhere in psychology hence I'm deciding whether or not to drop it. I've talked to my psychology teacher about dropping the subject, but shes trying to persuade me to not do so, as we've covered over half of the syllabus and it would be a waste to drop it. I need to confirm my subjects soon T_T Anyones input highly appreciated
Original post by Nur_aman
I'm in my second year of A levels and I'm having the exams in 3 months. I've just gotten my mock reports and I've scored DDDC, Biology,chemistry,Maths,Psychology respectively. I feel like the main reason for these marks was because I wasn't able to manage my time properly between studies and extra-curriculars , I was bombarded with school events etc...and so I ended up cramming and studying everything the day before but it did not go well. Should I consider dropping a subject (Psychology) or do I still have the time to work hard and at least score an A or a B for each subject. I feel so directionless at times as I still haven't found out what I want to pursue for the future, but I know it won't be somewhere in psychology hence I'm deciding whether or not to drop it. I've talked to my psychology teacher about dropping the subject, but shes trying to persuade me to not do so, as we've covered over half of the syllabus and it would be a waste to drop it. I need to confirm my subjects soon T_T Anyones input highly appreciated

Do you want to go to unviersity? If so you'll only need 3 A-levels so dropping one subject, especially one that won't prevent you from applying to the course you want to, seems like the best option.

Yes you've already invested time into the subject but why put yourself through extra stress when it's really not needed for the remainder of your A-levels?
No-brainer. Drop one - one of the D grades, not your best subject. Why are you even taking four?

You will need to tell UCAS that you are doing so, assuming you have already applied, and also all the universities that you have applied to.

This is all very odd though - you've covered over half the syllabus so they think you should carry on despite heading for 4 decidedly mediocre grades? You are well into the last 20% of the course by time, you should be well intothe last 20% of the syllabus, and that's assuming there's no lesson time set aside for revision! I'm startled that the school aren't insisting you drop one of them right now.
Reply 3
I would say that if you have 3 months left till your exams, and want to keep your 4 A-levels, then you will need to put in a lot of work to get those grades to A's/B's. I was in a similar position to you when I was in Year 13, and when I was finally allowed to drop Maths, I felt that I was able to put in more effort and time into my 3 subjects whilst balancing my extra-curriculars (music exams, volunteering etc). I didn't need Maths anyways for what I wanted to do at university. I was able to jump from C's/D's to A's by working hard. It's a decision that you will need to make. If you think that you can realistically manage with four and put in the work then keep it, but if you're struggling and think you'd be able to perform better with just 3 then drop.
i do psychology a level and if you decide to keep it and want any help feel free to pm me!

Id drop one of your subjects.
Id drop the one you are doing least well in. If you got DDDC, then id keep the one you got a C in, and get rid of one of the ones you got a D in.

why would you drop your best subject? Drop either Maths, Chemistry, or Biology.

Are you in Year 13? If so you should have nearly finished the specification ... drop the subject you enjy least. Really 4 A levels is never needed for uni and you'll have time to get back on track.
Reply 8

I strongly advise to drop less favorite subject. Almost uni required only 3 subject A level.
Never give up it’s something you’re passionate about and you won’t get the A level end of year exam because you’re in your second year. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest