The Student Room Group

Cambridge Part iii MASt applicants 2022

Hey all! Just starting this thread early on so that we can chat with other potential applicants and discuss everything related to Part III!

To introduce yourself, please add the following (only if you are comfortable):

Current University and current course:
Prospective Course:
Prospective Colleges:
Current University Grades:
Any research experience/valuable information:

Application timeline:

- XX: submitted
- XX: last referee submitted/under review by department
- XX: Degree Committee
- XX: GAO
- XX: Conditional Offer

I will start with mine in the next post
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Current University and current course: Queen's University Belfast and BSc Mathematics
Prospective Course: MASt in pure mathematics, probably will focus on Analytic NT/ arithmetic combinatorics
Prospective Colleges: Pembroke and Peterhouse
Current University Grades: slightly over 80% in 2nd year
Any research experience/valuable information: research under a postdoc in Oxford in number theory, attended a few research conferences/workshops/seminars, gave a talk at an undergraduate conference and a poster presentation at an international conference.Did a third-year module in my second year in pure maths. Got funding for conference participation.
Also, was a board member of a science outreach organisation where we invited notable scientists to talk about their work. :smile:

Application timeline:

- Submitted: 18 October 2021
- Under Review by the Department: 26 October 2021
(edited 2 years ago)
Current University and current course: University of Warwick MMath Mathematics, will switch to BSc if I get offer
Prospective Course: MASt Pure Mathematics ([probably] primarily Analysis & PDEs, Probability and Analytic Number Theory. Maybe differential geometry)
Prospective Colleges: Wolfson & Christs
Current University Grades: 90.5% first year, 86.9% second year (90s in most relevant modules)
Any research experience/valuable information: Not much research experience per se. Referee/personal tutor is one of the most famous professors at my uni, though in algebraic geometry. Doing an optional third year project next year under fairly notable analytic number theorist on Navier-Stokes. Have contributed to educational projects. Third year options mainly in analysis & PDEs, then a course in manifolds and then set theory.

Application timeline:
- Submitted: 12th November
- PAO (didn't update whenever I went through DC): 9th February
- Offer: 24th February (graduate with a first)

Also applying to OMMS given I can get a third reference, which is pretty hard. Didn't apply.
(edited 2 years ago)
Feel free to utilise the general postgraduate applications thread for next year, too: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7053422&p=95478892
Original post by Sandtrooper
Feel free to utilise the general postgraduate applications thread for next year, too: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7053422&p=95478892

Didn't realise that was already created, thanks.

Could you add this thread to the OP of the main thread?
My status just changed to review by committee :biggrin:
Current University and current course: Imperial College, BSc Mathematics
Prospective Course: MASt Pure Maths
Prospective Colleges: Trinity (My favourite since high school) and Churchill (it's close to the centre of mathematical sciences)
Current University Grades: 83 in first year, 86 in second year, top 10% in both years.
Any research experience/valuable information: Two UROPs, in algebraic geometry (schemes) and arithmetic geometry (neron models), which is my primary area of interest. Got reference letters from both supervisors. Also got 2500 pounds of bursary for UROP in Year 2.

Application timeline:

- 5th of Jan: submitted
- 3rd of Feb: Degree Committee
- 7th of Feb: PAO
- 23rd of Feb: Conditional Offer made! The condition is a simple overall first, very easy to achieve.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Yyhgw
Wow great! What’s your course for and submission date? Thanks for share!

It is applied mathematic part iii , i submitted my application on December. Since then , the status was under review by department. Today it is changed to under review by degree committee
The status of my application also changed this morning from "under review by the Department" to "Under review by the degree committee"! I applied to the MASt in Applied mathematics on the 5th of January. Next steps are PAO in approx. 7 days and then receiving an official offer. Congratulations to everyone as well!
Hi guys! Just PAO'd (didn't go through degree committee??)

6th Oct: Submitted

3rd Feb: PAO

edit: MASt Applied maths!
(edited 2 years ago)
My timeline:

Jan 4: submitted
Jan 5: under review by department
Jan 31: awaiting approval by PAO
Feb 3: conditional offer (condition: graduate with first class honours)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ttzero13
Current/previous universities: I did my undergrad at two top universities in Australia, and currently doing honours at another
Prospective Course: MASt in Mathematical Statistics, with a strong focus on probability
Prospective Colleges: Trinity and Emmanuel
Current University Grades: perfect GPA, except for one unrelated non mathematical course in first year, formal recognition of top 5% although I suspect my actual ranking is closer to top 1%
Any research experience/valuable information: summer research in optimisation/functional analysis, currently doing honours research project in stochastic analysis and will likely result in publication, background is a mix of pure mathematics and statistics

Jan 4: submitted
Jan 5: under review by department
Jan 31: awaiting approval by PAO
Feb 3: conditional offer

just checked the portal and saw a conditional offer status, haven’t gotten the email though… very curious to see what kind of condition I’ve been set

Congratulations! This is really impressive, I would even say that you got probably one of the first offers from the programme. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ellectron
Hi guys! Just PAO'd (didn't go through degree committee??)

6th Oct: Submitted

3rd Feb: PAO

edit: MASt Applied maths!

Hey same here! My application also went through to PAO (at least I didn't see it go through the degree committee), hopefully it's not something unusual. I'm also applying for the MASt in Applied Maths, and submitted it late December.

Congrats on everyone who's had a change in their application, hopefully it goes well from here!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Mister20f
The status of my application also changed this morning from "under review by the Department" to "Under review by the degree committee"! I applied to the MASt in Applied mathematics on the 5th of January. Next steps are PAO in approx. 7 days and then receiving an official offer. Congratulations to everyone as well!

Congratulations for that!
Original post by pasovi9
Hey same here! My application also went through to PAO (at least I didn't see it go through the degree committee), hopefully it's not something unusual. I'm also applying for the MASt in Applied Maths, and submitted it late December.

Congrats on everyone who's had a change in their application, hopefully it goes well from here!

Congratulations for that!
Original post by Mister20f
Congratulations! This is really impressive, I would even say that you got probably one of the first offers from the programme. :smile:

Thanks so much, I was definitely surprised at how fast things moved. Congrats to you on your movement too!
Original post by Ashkan624
It is applied mathematic part iii , i submitted my application on December. Since then , the status was under review by department. Today it is changed to under review by degree committee

Status just updated to PAO 🤩
Reply 17
Moved to Degree Committee about an hour ago! International Applicant for MASt in Applied Mathematics.
Mine hasn't moved at all. Some of my friends received rejections though, and I haven't been rejected either. I sumbitted in November. SHould I expect rejection since so many people's are moving but mine isn't? :frown:
Original post by lilifehertoi
Mine hasn't moved at all. Some of my friends received rejections though, and I haven't been rejected either. I sumbitted in November. SHould I expect rejection since so many people's are moving but mine isn't? :frown:

no

I'm struggling with the wait too (especially considering someone with my exact second year average from the same university got rejected also from pure maths yesterday), but this doesn't really mean anything. They can only process so many applicants in a day and it's unclear what order they go in if any.

If anything, the fact that a lot of your friends have been rejected but you haven't should feel like a good thing? (bit cold, but they've been rejected and you still might not be)
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending