The Student Room Group

russell group university tier list

my-image.png

What do you guys all think of this RG tier list?

It is also in order within each tier itself, left being the highest of that tier.

Scroll to see replies

That you need to find a hobby
Original post by PQ
That you need to find a hobby

And your hobby is to go on TSR and tell others to get a hobby? Nice hobby mate!
What's so bad about the ones in F?
You put Oxford and Cambridge in the wrong order.
Original post by Tammie2345524
You put Oxford and Cambridge in the wrong order.

I think both are equal in the UK but I just feel like Oxford has a more global dominance in terms of brand and name, which is why it edges it a bit and takes rank 1.
Time for our weekly bickering about RG unis thread!
Also, why is Exeter on there twice?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SpaceLover29
What's so bad about the ones in F?

Nothing bad at all, they are one of the 24 Russell Group Unis at the end of the day, but they're essentially the worst of the 24.

And, if I am being totally honest, the 6 RG's in tier F should not be an RG in my opinion. Uni of Bath and St Andrews should be an RG instead of them.
You've put Exeter twice and left off Leeds by the look of it so already a bit dire...
what did you actually rank them on? like how 'good' they are in league tables and stuff?
Original post by iganidagli

And, if I am being totally honest, the 6 RG's in tier F should not be an RG in my opinion. Uni of Bath and St Andrews should be an RG instead of them.

You know the RG members are self selected and it's not an external measure of merit but a political lobbying group for those universities to essential act as a cartel within the HE sector, right?
Original post by eternaldevotiion
what did you actually rank them on? like how 'good' they are in league tables and stuff?

TSRs obsession with league table rankings had eclipsed the need for such mundane things as "ranking methodologies" and "data" :laugh:
Original post by artful_lounger
You've put Exeter twice and left off Leeds by the look of it so already a bit dire...

Yeah, I realized that, but I didn't make it. Leeds will be where the second Exeter is ranked.
Original post by hungrysalamander
Time for our weekly bickering about RG unis thread!
Also, why is Exeter on there twice?

Not sure, this was made by someone else, I just ranked it in my own tier list. One of the Exeters should be Leeds, and I ranked one as if it was Leeds.
Original post by eternaldevotiion

Yes, I based my ranking on how 'good' they are, and to be specific, it is based on my opinion regarding their prestige, league table performance, name, employment prospects, etc.
Yes, I based my ranking on how 'good' they are, and to be specific, it is based on my opinion regarding their prestige, league table performance, name, employment prospects, etc.

I thought you said above that you didn't make it though? So how is it your ranking in that case?
You know the RG members are self selected and it's not an external measure of merit but a political lobbying group for those universities to essential act as a cartel within the HE sector, right?

Regardless of how they are selected, it is a measure of merit and most businesses and companies seem to hire from an RG. RG graduates dominate around 78% of most top companies in the city (something I read recently). You cannot disregard the fact that the RG tag on uni places a big advantage for a grad.
I thought you said above that you didn't make it though? So how is it your ranking in that case?

What I meant is...I found the RG tier list online but I placed them in the tiers and ranks I believe they belong to.
Regardless of how they are selected, it is a measure of merit and most businesses and companies seem to hire from an RG. RG graduates dominate around 78% of most top companies in the city (something I read recently). You cannot disregard the fact that the RG tag on uni places a big advantage for a grad.

Depends on the course. RG means absolutely nothing if you're studying medicine or dentistry.
Lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending