The Student Room Group

why do i feel so manipulated by christian groups?

like this group was doing some publicity thing at my university for a series of Christian talks where they got ppl to write answers to a bunch of meaning of life type questions on this beig chalk board, but they only approached ppl walking alone/ sitting reading alone.

Also the little patter they did to get ppl to come to the talks just seemed so over rehearsed and fake, and they all had big smiles but their eyes looked dead. I get this icky feeling around many evangelical and non denominational christian groups like they're trying to sell me something

I know they think they're spreadiding the word of god or whatever but shoving their opinions down people's throats isn't really going to do that. Also my uni is in an area with quite high poverty and homelessness, wouldn't it be better to spread the word of god by doing good work by helping the homeless?
Original post by SterlingArchery
like this group was doing some publicity thing at my university for a series of Christian talks where they got ppl to write answers to a bunch of meaning of life type questions on this beig chalk board, but they only approached ppl walking alone/ sitting reading alone.

Also the little patter they did to get ppl to come to the talks just seemed so over rehearsed and fake, and they all had big smiles but their eyes looked dead. I get this icky feeling around many evangelical and non denominational christian groups like they're trying to sell me something

I know they think they're spreadiding the word of god or whatever but shoving their opinions down people's throats isn't really going to do that. Also my uni is in an area with quite high poverty and homelessness, wouldn't it be better to spread the word of god by doing good work by helping the homeless?

if it does not feel right for you just walk away. many young people appreciate a rigid moral framework and being told what to do and think.
Original post by the bear
if it does not feel right for you just walk away. many young people appreciate a rigid moral framework and being told what to do and think.

Yeah I did make an excuse and walk away, but I didn't want to be totally rude about it. Also I don't think this was a particularly dogmatic group, they were more focused around discussing people's opinions about life questions, I reckon they were going to drip feed in the hardcore religious stuff more slowly. I guess it was a bit misleading of me to say they were trying to shove their opinions down people's throats...
You probably feel this way because you have been unfortunate enough to encounter some very manipulative religious zealots or a cult seeking to recruit students on campus.
Most of the cults operating on uk campuses present themselves as religious or small christian activist groups.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
Beware infamous cult like groups like Freedom Church (aka Love Church), Hizb ut-Tahrir, International Sikh Youth Federation, The International Christian Church (ICC), International Church of Christ (ISOC), Jesus Fellowship Church (aka The Jesus Army), Shincheonji Church of Jesus, Spac Nation, World Mission Society Church of God (WMSCOG).

Cults can also be political or secular as well as religious.
The BBC has reported that there are estimated to be as many as 2,000 cults currently operating in the UK- many of them seeking to recruit uk uni students.
Plenty of the secular groups masquerade as benign small social/activist organisations that are: business networking groups for the acting or modelling industries, political grassroots movements, stop-smoking clinics, self-help groups, wellness retreats and yoga groups.
(edited 2 years ago)

There could be an element of love bombing there with the whole group thing and approaching those who seem alone. As in, there’s a sense of community with christians that may make people want to join but, obviously, this whole community thing fades once you’re actually in the religion.
Call me cynical but there's always going to be Christians across most denominations - not just evangelicals - who prey on the (seemingly) more vulnerable. I'm not surprised by anything you've written in your opening post. I like to think the people acting like/doing this mean well by it and just genuinely want to 'save souls', but yeah...
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Call me cynical but there's always going to be Christians across most denominations - not just evangelicals - who prey on the (seemingly) more vulnerable. I'm not surprised by anything you've written in your opening post. I like to think the people acting like/doing this mean well by it and just genuinely want to 'save souls', but yeah...

lol I hope I don't just seem vulnerable, but i see what u mean

also those massive evangelical pop-concert style churches like hillsong are so messed up. My friend is in one and she's crazy now
lol I hope I don't just seem vulnerable, but i see what u mean

also those massive evangelical pop-concert style churches like hillsong are so messed up. My friend is in one and she's crazy now

What I meant was those not wandering around with in a group of friends are probably easier 'targets'! Not to say that everyone walking/sitting alone is a loner or doesn't have friends, but it's easier to target people who are/seem shy or vulnerable or lonely :ninja:
Reply 8
sorry you personally feel manipulated by them or did you mean to say in your thread title why are Christian groups manipulative?

yeah i grew up in a small conservative Christian church. can confirm there are lots of believers who don't have the talent to do mission work or whatever; it is indeed a skill just like anything. i doubt anyone is trying to manipulate anyone here tho; most people aren't malicious or have bad intentions. perhaps you feel on guard tho and look at them sideways because it seems a bit weird thing to do going up to people and mentioning God to potentially non-believers?

btw maybe they are doing stuff to help the homeless? churches do tend to have more than one mission, like you can't just do one thing. lol i bet tho this group is just hoping to attract people their own age to their church and can you blame them? it's fun to hang out with peeps like that; young people don't typically want to go to a church where everyone is over 50.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending