The Student Room Group

Am I straight?

Ok, so I've been thinking. I'm agender, meaning I don't identify with any gender. Does that mean that any gender I'm attracted to would count as heterosexual? Because they're all different genders from my own. Is being agender the secret to being the ultimate heterosexual?? Food for thought..
Well it depends if they’re heterosexual or not..no?
Original post by Noble.x
Well it depends if they’re heterosexual or not..no?

I'd say maybe they'd need to be hetero to call it a hetero relationship, but wouldn't you still say I'm hetero if I exclusively like different genders?
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, so I've been thinking. I'm agender, meaning I don't identify with any gender. Does that mean that any gender I'm attracted to would count as heterosexual? Because they're all different genders from my own. Is being agender the secret to being the ultimate heterosexual?? Food for thought..

yes
are you attracted to multiple genders? then you're not heterosexual
If you're attracted to 1, that makes you straight. 2+ makes you bi. All other genders makes you pan.
Well no because to be straight you need to be the opposite gender to the person you’re attracted to and only be attracted to the opposite. Nice effort for trying to become the “ultimate heterosexual” but it didn’t work.
Labels such as heterosexual and homosexual are based on the concept of a gender binary, in that they also implicate the gender of the person identifying with them, and don't really apply to the situation you have described (attraction to multiple genders). If you don't fit into it then terms like 'straight' and 'gay' can sometimes feel disingenuous. Often people who don't identify as male or female are more comfortable defining their sexuality with terms such as NBLM and NBLW (non-binary people loving men/women, respectively). There are also terms in existence that don't include the source of attraction in them so don't implicate your own gender - they just refer to the person you're attracted to, e.g. androsexual can mean attraction to men and/or masculine-presenting people and gynesexual can mean attraction to women and/or feminine-presenting people. Although if you're attracted to multiple genders then the more well-known bi/pansexual sound like they would fit just fine.

Personally, I'm somewhere outside of the gender-binary and consider myself homosexual although my relationships often pass as straight based on how I present on any given day. I use this term because I'm exclusively attracted to my assigned gender at birth, don't identify as the opposite, and only date people who self-identify as bi/pan/homosexual.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by SagaciousSag
If you're attracted to 1, that makes you straight. 2+ makes you bi. All other genders makes you pan.

But different people use those words differently. For example, some bi people use bi to mean attracted to 2 genders, whereas some use it to mean being attracted to people of a like and unlike gender (which encompasses many or all genders).
Original post by Son of the Sea
Well no because to be straight you need to be the opposite gender to the person you’re attracted to and only be attracted to the opposite. Nice effort for trying to become the “ultimate heterosexual” but it didn’t work.

Hetero just means different. Also not sure opposite applies since there isn't a gender binary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending