The Student Room Group

need to take a week off internship for exams

I’m an international student who will be going back home in the summer and I have an internship back home, that ends at the end of august. however, i recently had to defer some of my final exams due to health reasons, and i will have to fly back to UK for one week in the second half of august to sit for my deferred exams. how should i bring this up with my internship company? should i be honest and tell them now about my situation and risk my internship offer being revoked, or should i continue with the internship and only tell them later on that i have to fly back for a week? does anyone have any advice on what reasons I can give them to fly back (emergencies?) and if it’s possible to work extra after i’m back from uk to make up for the week i’m gone?
You should tell them the truth (don't claim it's some family emergency, or similar).

However, you can control the timing of that truth. If you think there's a genuine risk that they'd revoke the internship, then it might be wise to delay telling them. You should give them at least two weeks' notice though - more if you can. And you should be honest about the reason.

It's not like you've failed any exams, right? You just deferred taking them for health reasons. That's perfectly reasonable, and eminently sensible.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You should tell them the truth (don't claim it's some family emergency, or similar).

However, you can control the timing of that truth. If you think there's a genuine risk that they'd revoke the internship, then it might be wise to delay telling them. You should give them at least two weeks' notice though - more if you can. And you should be honest about the reason.

It's not like you've failed any exams, right? You just deferred taking them for health reasons. That's perfectly reasonable, and eminently sensible.

would like to tell them the truth too, but if i tell them before the internship starts, there’s a high chance they may revoke my offer since i am not able to meet their terms and conditions for the duration requirements. and if i tell them after my internship begins, even if early, it will make me look irresponsible for not telling them earlier when i already knew i’d have to sit for my exams during the deferral period when i had to defer it. so i am still unsure about this
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by neenaaa
would like to tell them the truth too, but if i tell them before the internship starts, there’s a high chance they may revoke my offer since i am not able to meet their terms and conditions for the duration requirements. and if i tell them after my internship begins, even if early, it will make me look irresponsible for not telling them earlier when i already knew i’d have to sit for my exams during the deferral period when i had to defer it. so i am still unsure about this

What exactly are "their terms and conditions for the duration requirements"? Perhaps there's some wiggle room via an "...except under exceptional circumstances" clause, or similar?

It seems to me that you have two options: tell them before the internship starts and risk them revoking the internship, or tell them after the internship starts and risk look unprofessional. Which, in your eyes, is worse?
Reply 4
i guess i’ll have to go with the latter.i think i’ll tell them after the first week of my internship that i deferred my exams bc of health and only recently found out the deferral period will be taking place in august. i’ll also offer to extend the internship period after i come back to make up for all the days i was gone. hopefully it’ll go fine and they won’t revoke my internship!
Original post by neenaaa
i guess i’ll have to go with the latter.i think i’ll tell them after the first week of my internship that i deferred my exams bc of health and only recently found out the deferral period will be taking place in august. i’ll also offer to extend the internship period after i come back to make up for all the days i was gone. hopefully it’ll go fine and they won’t revoke my internship!

Sounds like a plan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending