The Student Room Group

what is synaptic transmission -biopsychology

can someone please explain it in baby language i dont understand at all
Reply 1
Original post by minecraftcow
can someone please explain it in baby language i dont understand at all

if I were you I'd find a good diagram to help visualise this so that it's easier to understand what's going on. I did aqa last year btw.

but basically:
- action potentials reach the pre-synaptic terminal and trigger the release of neuro-transmitters (NT)
- these NT cross the synapse (the synaptic gap in the diagram) from vesicles (the circles containing the NT in the diagram)
- the NT then combine with the receptors (shaped to match the NT on the diagram, almost like lego hands lol idk how to describe them) on the post-synaptic membrane
- the NT stimulate these receptors for excitation or inhibition of the post-synaptic membrane

"pre" is like before and "post" is after which is why the synapses are called different names. hope that helped??
Original post by anon033
if I were you I'd find a good diagram to help visualise this so that it's easier to understand what's going on. I did aqa last year btw.

but basically:
- action potentials reach the pre-synaptic terminal and trigger the release of neuro-transmitters (NT)
- these NT cross the synapse (the synaptic gap in the diagram) from vesicles (the circles containing the NT in the diagram)
- the NT then combine with the receptors (shaped to match the NT on the diagram, almost like lego hands lol idk how to describe them) on the post-synaptic membrane
- the NT stimulate these receptors for excitation or inhibition of the post-synaptic membrane

"pre" is like before and "post" is after which is why the synapses are called different names. hope that helped??

Yes thank you :smile: in my textbook there’s too many words which complicates it so this is helpful
Yes thank you :smile: in my textbook there’s too many words which complicates it so this is helpful

too many words or specific words. MS are sometimes very word-specific so it may be good to understand what the textbook is saying. Is there something in the textbook which is confusing you?
Reply 4

great! look for your exam board and see if you can find any mark schemes on this topic as someone else just said because this will be alright for AQA but idk how different it is for others
Original post by anon033

but basically:

To add to this. When the NT stimulate the receptors on the post-synaptic membrane, it allows for movement of ions to enter into the post-synaptic neuron - initiating the next propagation (or if inhibitory, it will allow movement of ions that will cause hyperpolarisation - preventing propogation).

Another thing to note is the fact the NT can be reabsorbed from the synaptic cleft into the pre-synaptic neuron for the next transmission.

Hope the extra information helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
-Action potential reaches axon terminal button of pre-synaptic neuron
-Stimulates vesicles to move to edge of membrane and burst (exocytosis) flooding their neurotransmitter into the synaptic cleft
-The neurotransmitter diffuses across the cleft and binds to receptor sites on the outer membrane of the post-synaptic neuron
-This causes an either excitatory or inhibitory response from the post synaptic neuron

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending