The Student Room Group

Are these good a levels to take?

is this a good combination?
Computer science A Level
Business Studies A level
BTEC Information Technology
(reason maths isnt there is because im really bad at it even though i did higher gcse maths and got a 6)

these are my gcses:

Islamic studies (5)
Urdu Language (9)
English Language(6)
Maths higher(6)
and i sat Biology higher tier this year hoping to pass coz paper 2 was hard as!

anyways i am into coding and computer related stuff so pls anyone give me any suggestions. i wouldnt say i know alot about computing but i am interested and am learning Python at home.

i appreciate anyone who replies back

thanks
These sound really good if you enjoy these subjects :smile:
For maths tho, if you think a maths qualification at college will look good for universities and unemployment (and if your college offers this), you could try taking a Level 3/Core Maths course. Colleges usually only ask for a 5 in gcse maths so you'd cope with it fine and it is maths that focuses more on skills you would use in business, finance, real life situations really. I'll be taking it in September alongside A Level biology, english language and french. Hope this helped!
Original post by I'mnotginger
These sound really good if you enjoy these subjects :smile:
For maths tho, if you think a maths qualification at college will look good for universities and unemployment (and if your college offers this), you could try taking a Level 3/Core Maths course. Colleges usually only ask for a 5 in gcse maths so you'd cope with it fine and it is maths that focuses more on skills you would use in business, finance, real life situations really. I'll be taking it in September alongside A Level biology, english language and french. Hope this helped!

i wont be going to university i know that
Computer Science and IT are too similar. Business Studies would go well with either of them though. You didn't take many GCSE subjects so your choices are a bit limited for your third A-level :s-smilie:
Original post by rosy_posy
Computer Science and IT are too similar. Business Studies would go well with either of them though. You didn't take many GCSE subjects so your choices are a bit limited for your third A-level :s-smilie:

How about further maths? What's the difference between maths and further maths?
What do you want to do with these A levels? Not essential, but it helps if you have some ideas.

If you want to do anything to do with Comp Sci, you will need Maths, but there are other Business/IT degree courses like 'FinTech' that don't, but you will stil need a good GCSE Maths grade. If you are not thinking of Comp Sci at Uni then it might be worth looking at a different subject to go with IT and Business - otherwise you will have a very narrow range of post-A level options.

How to Choose 6th Form subjects - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Not Going to Uni - apprenticeships etc - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
Original post by WORKHELP465
How about further maths? What's the difference between maths and further maths?

Further maths is much more difficult than maths. Based on hearing others' experiences, people with a grade 6 in Maths GCSE usually struggle with Maths A-level because the maths is so much more advanced. So a FM A-level is out of the question for them.
Original post by McGinger
What do you want to do with these A levels? Not essential, but it helps if you have some ideas.

If you want to do anything to do with Comp Sci, you will need Maths, but there are other Business/IT degree courses like 'FinTech' that don't, but you will stil need a good GCSE Maths grade. If you are not thinking of Comp Sci at Uni then it might be worth looking at a different subject to go with IT and Business - otherwise you will have a very narrow range of post-A level options.

How to Choose 6th Form subjects - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Not Going to Uni - apprenticeships etc - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/

I want to go into cybersecurity.
I was initially thinking of an apprenticeship but im not 100% sure what do you think?
Original post by rosy_posy
Further maths is much more difficult than maths. Based on hearing others' experiences, people with a grade 6 in Maths GCSE usually struggle with Maths A-level because the maths is so much more advanced. So a FM A-level is out of the question for them.

What about Maths a level then?

you can try A-Level maths. there isn't much to it as long as you put some effort in - I believe 20 minutes a day can take you a long way. Try taking maths, and if you struggle you can always opt for simply AS level maths or taking OCR FSMQ, these should be enough to get through computer science and business. However if you decide you want to be a software engineer or something heavy, then taking the full maths course is strongly recommended.

It could be difficult for you bc you have a grade 6 in it, but if you in put the effort you can get a decent A-level grade :smile:
Original post by HardlyHuman
you can try A-Level maths. there isn't much to it as long as you put some effort in - I believe 20 minutes a day can take you a long way. Try taking maths, and if you struggle you can always opt for simply AS level maths or taking OCR FSMQ, these should be enough to get through computer science and business. However if you decide you want to be a software engineer or something heavy, then taking the full maths course is strongly recommended.

What is as level maths?
What does the as mean?
Is that easier than a level maths?
What is as level maths?
What does the as mean?

yes, AS is the first year content of A-level, so about 40- 50% of the total A-level maths content. I would say FSMQ is slightly easier than AS.
What is as level maths?
What does the as mean?

Please stick to ONE thread on A level choices

Quick Reply

Latest