The Student Room Group

How Autistic are YOU?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhythmical
I scored 13, I'm sure I should have scored higher. Then again, everyone does have Autism, the fact that it is a spectrum means each person is different in their traits and that no one person will have the same type of Autism.

No they don't and is an insult to suggest they do.
Hmm im not going to do the test but the fact its there can be quite offensive as its just stereotypes.
Original post by OU Student

What I meant to say was that since it's a spectrum, each person is different. How is it an insult to be autistic? That's low and read articles on autism and Aspergers because traits of both are found in everyone...
36 - The joys of having a mother who doesn't like her kids labelled.
Original post by Rhythmical
What I meant to say was that since it's a spectrum, each person is different. How is it an insult to be autistic? That's low and read articles on autism and Aspergers because traits of both are found in everyone...

I never said that. It's an insult o suggest everyone has it. You don't.
Original post by OU Student

There's research and articles to suggest it, i wouldn't suggest it if it was simply my own opinion.
15, so not autistic.

It's interesting because I've heard people who have a strong presence of autism within their family (as I do - cousin and aunt are severely autistic, brother and uncle and several cousins have ASD) often display autistic characteristics themselves, but evidently not.

I'd agree with someone above, though - the questions make it so you could sway it either way, depending on what result you wanted.
I am a 16 year old female and I got a score of 41 on this test, 19 on the Reading the Mind in the Eyes, and 149/200 (very likely ND) on the Aspie-quiz... I want to be officially diagnosed because I am getting exceedingly frustrated with my inability to interact socially and I would really like some professional help but my parents would never believe that "their little girl" has Aspergers. Could anyone give me some advice as to how to go about this?
Original post by Odd socks
I got 18, though I feel like some the answers I scored points on were due to anxiety rather than it actually being traits of autism

This
Original post by Cme4whoIam
I am a 16 year old female and I got a score of 41 on this test, 19 on the Reading the Mind in the Eyes, and 149/200 (very likely ND) on the Aspie-quiz... I want to be officially diagnosed because I am getting exceedingly frustrated with my inability to interact socially and I would really like some professional help but my parents would never believe that "their little girl" has Aspergers. Could anyone give me some advice as to how to go about this?

Could you arrange an appointment with your GP without your parents' knowledge? As sixteen, you're fully entitled to do this.

I don't think your GP themselves could be of much help, but they could probably refer you to someone who can.

If you're in school, it could be best to talk to your pastoral support. My brother was diagnosed by an educational psychologist, so this seems like a viable route, also.

Hope you're doing OK! :smile:
got 13 :smile:
Original post by Odd socks
I got 18, though I feel like some the answers I scored points on were due to anxiety rather than it actually being traits of autism

I scored 16 myself, although I've had anxiety for years so I feel you there! The only things that make me think I could be autistic is the fact I sometimes say things and then immediately worry for the next 15 minutes about the way I said it and how it was percieved or that I really struggle to read body language, especially on dates and stuff, although I'm getting better at it :smile:

It's never bothered me to the point of wanting to get checked, my grades at school were fine, I'm getting straight A*s at college and I find it very easy to make new friends. I don't think I'd even want to know, because even if I was autistic, I've made it this far without having a label hovering over me mentally and it wouldn't change who I am anyways :biggrin:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Pfft, call yourself an anime addict! :ahee:

That sig is from 2 yrs old , cringey ikr
Hey!

I scored 40 suggesting I'm very likely autistic and in the aspie quiz my score also suggested I was very likely aspie.

Any advice because I want to talk to someone about this...
Original post by Foo.mp3
Have you received any related diagnosis/support? :beard:

I have a diagnosis. And there's no support at all for adults.
i am evry uatitisc

If you have symptoms in these areas, and those symptoms seriously impact your daily activities, you’ll probably be diagnosed as on the spectrum.”But the autism spectrum is incredibly wide and varied. Some people are brilliant while others are intellectually disabled. Some have severe communication problems while others are public speakers.

there is only one diagnostic category for people with autism: autism spectrum disorder. Anyone with symptoms consistent with autism will receive an ASD diagnosis -- along with a functional level (1, 2, or 3) and, if appropriate, specifiers

Level 3

For example, a person with few words of intelligible speech who rarely initiates interaction and, when he or she does, makes unusual approaches to meet needs only and responds to only very direct social approaches.Inflexibility of behavior, extreme difficulty coping with change, or other restricted/repetitive behaviors markedly interfere with functioning in all spheres

Level 2

For example, a person who speaks in simple sentences, whose interaction is limited to narrow special interests, and who has markedly odd nonverbal communication.Inflexibility of behavior, difficulty coping with change, or other restricted/repetitive behaviors appear frequently enough to be obvious to the casual observer and interfere with functioning in a variety of contexts. Distress and/or difficulty changing focus or action

Level 1

For example, a person who is able to speak in full sentences and engages in communication but whose to-and-fro conversation with others fails, and whose attempts to make friends are odd and typically unsuccessful.Inflexibility of behavior causes significant interference with functioning in one or more contexts. Difficulty switching between activities. Problems of organization and planning hamper independence.
Original post by Tiger Rag

Well, it's a spectrum and we all fall on it somewhere. What I think they were meant to say is that we all have some autistic traits and that is fair to say, given it isn't an on off switch as much as it is a gradient.

You don't know that. This test is not a diagnosis nor is lack of a diagnosis indicative of not having autism.

I understand this is a personal issue being a person with autism but you're a one of the TSR Support Team now-- come on...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Arsonist
Well, it's a spectrum and we all fall on it somewhere. What I think they were meant to say is that we all have some autistic traits and that is fair to say, given it isn't an on off switch as much as it is a gradient.

You don't know that. This test is not a diagnosis nor is lack of a diagnosis indicative of not having autism.

I understand this is a personal issue being a person with autism but you're a one of the TSR Support Team now-- come on...

What would be the point of diagnosing people if we all had it?
What would be the point of diagnosing people if we all had it?

To establish that there a pervasive inability to function well in society, according to certain pathology and characteristics. Hence, disorder. This is established by scoring over a certain threshold which is deemed to be sufficient to consider somebody might have difficulty according to a certain cluster of traits. That, of course, doesn't negate that we all have some of those traits. That does't mean we're all autistic, though-- I did not say that.

People seem to treat it like a badge when really it's an indication that your traits are severe enough that you might need help/support.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest