Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    Well actually the most cost effective aero upgrade is buying a pair of tri bars.
    If they don't already have a TT bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concav)
    I'm not sure what you're asking - your question is vague. 10 miles TT is 20-30 minutes depending on how fit you are. I dont know how serious you are, but do you have a power meter? What's your 20 mins FTP? Do you have a TT bike? How confortable are you in a TT position ? Kit wise - again don't know how serious you are but most likely you wont need a skin suit. Anything tight will do.
    Sorry about being vague. I wrote this in a hurry earlier. My 20 min FTP is 292W on a wattbike, I'm 6' 5" and 79kg. I'm currently using a road bike but have clip on TT bars, my core is fairly good so my TT position is OK. I was mainly asking the best way to get involved in TTs as I think it would be a good way to improve my rowing fitness, as I'm not really sure how to participate in local time trials and what the general etiquette is for them.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMarles)
    https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/

All the information you need is there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    What a dumb reply.

ReputationRep:
    What a dumb reply.
    :yy:

ReputationRep:

Actually correct pacing and increasing you FTP are the most cost effective ways of increasing your speed. Skin suit will save you minimal watts (10W over 30 mins) compared to a tight cycling jersey. You should only think about those upgrades if you are doing a 10 mile circuit under 24 minutes if you looking for marginal gains

ReputationRep:
    https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/

All the information you need is there.
    Ah, thanks. Wasn't sure where to find this

ReputationRep:
    You should only think about those upgrades if you are doing a 10 mile circuit under 24 minutes if you looking for marginal gains
    Explain why only people who can do a sub 24 minute 10 should be thinking about upgrades? Where did you pull that number from?

ReputationRep:
    Explain why only people who can do a sub 24 minute 10 should be thinking about upgrades? Where did you pull that number from?

Well you can get whatever upgrade you want. If you cannot properly pace correctly, why should one get a skin suit. Why do you recommend a skin suit before a power meter especially for a TT? No point in saving a certain amount of power from a skin suit if don't have a power meter to ride at a constant wattage.

ReputationRep:
    Actually correct pacing and increasing you FTP are the most cost effective ways of increasing your speed. Skin suit will save you minimal watts (10W over 30 mins) compared to a tight cycling jersey. You should only think about those upgrades if you are doing a 10 mile circuit under 24 minutes if you looking for marginal gains
    Aero gains have a greater impact the greater the distance though. Really pains me to be on the same side as Roobsa

ReputationRep:
    Aero gains have a greater impact the greater the distance though. Really pains me to be on the same side as Roobsa
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    This is 10 mile though, it won't even take you 30 minutes. Over that distance you are only going to save 5-10W from a skin suit. If you're going to going to get a skin suit though, you might as well get an aero helmet and save your leg hair to get the full benefit of marginal gains. I don't have anything against him - I actually really like his beard (he's a great guy).

ReputationRep:
    This is 10 mile though, it won't even take you 30 minutes. Over that distance you are only going to save 5-10W from a skin suit. If you're going to going to get a skin suit though, you might as well get an aero helmet and save your leg hair to get the full benefit of marginal gains. I don't have anything against him - I actually really like his beard (he's a great guy).
    It's gonna save you close to 40 seconds by getting a properly fitting skinsuit over a 10 mile TT. That's a pretty significant gain.

ReputationRep:
    Nice ride today, nothing too stressful
    https://www.strava.com/activities/701172967

ReputationRep:
    Nice ride today, nothing too stressful
    https://www.strava.com/activities/701172967
    Sick KOM bruv

ReputationRep:
    Sick KOM bruv
    Fancy swapping for a more prestigious one - don't think anyone cycles on that road (:

What do you guys think of this numpty https://www.youtube.com/embed/byzvVc-FFSY

ReputationRep:
    Hi you alright mate. I was trying to train my FTP so avoided hills which consequently follows decents. Even on -0.9% roads, it's quite hard not to coast for couple seconds.

Don't know my true max but on climbs on hot days, it goes up to 210, so around 215-220. Would like it to go lower but many people say it's genetics.

Edit: resting is around 35.

65kg is great climbing weight, does it affect you though on the flats?

What kind of racing do you do btw?

In the wind it can be a bit tricky on the flat, strong crosswinds I definitely seem to suffer more than heavier riders, and headwinds require relatively more effort. Having said that it's not the end of the world, I'm more than capable of chugging along nicely on the flat when I need to without wiping myself out.

Preference is for road races, partial to crits though as they're good fun and mentally they're "easy" training. Don't mind the odd TT. Had bugger all time to race this season though and lived in the middle of nowhere for most of it- literally a handful of races which is depressing. Next season should be better though, more like last year hopefully.

ReputationRep:

Well you can get whatever upgrade you want. If you cannot properly pace correctly, why should one get a skin suit. Why do you recommend a skin suit before a power meter especially for a TT? No point in saving a certain amount of power from a skin suit if don't have a power meter to ride at a constant wattage.
    Don't need a power meter to ride a TT. Can ride it on feel, plenty of riders, both amateur and professional race without paying much attention to their power numbers, only really analysing them afterwards. Taylor Phinney for instance taped over his power numbers just before he took to the ramp at the USA nationals this year.*Power is useful but isn't the be all and end all when it comes to racing, sometimes you have to trust yourself and it is surprising the results you can get, the greatest strength of power meters comes in how they help to focus training.

ReputationRep:
    Cross season has begun. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    I sprained my intercostal muscles from coughing and I can't get out for a ride because I need to rest

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.