The Student Room Group

Facebook Relationship Status

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crazy Paving
It's only facebook, just say you haven't logged in for a while (make sure this holds) or you didn't see the request. We all know how ****ed up facebook is. Just make up excuses to hold it off.

This

Tbh I don't ever read / see requests for group joins, applications or other requests cos I never check them. They don't show up on my notifications thing
Original post by Anonymous
I would like to remain anonymous please, as I don't want to upset anyone if they see it's me. Bare with me if you can as this is a little long!

I've been seeing this girl for a couple of months since I started uni. I wanted to take things slow with her as I've only just split up with my girlfriend of four years in the summer. I like this girl and I've been meeting up with her frequently, but I could sense she was getting frustrated because I wasn't showing any signs of asking her out. Well the other night I felt like it was the right time, so I asked her out and she said yes, so far so good.

The problem came the very next day when she wanted to update her Facebook status to 'in a relationship with...'. I'm now currently staring at the request wondering what to do.

There's a few reasons why I don't want to do this yet and they are:

1. I haven't even told the people closest to me that I'm going out with her yet and I would prefer to do this naturally and progressively as opposed to a massive shock announcement over Facebook. I feel like I owe my friends and family the privilege of knowing in person first.

2. I would like to keep things private and reserved for the moment, as It's going to take time for me to get used to being in a relationship again.

3. My ex and I split up on really good terms, but we haven't spoke since. I respect and care for her still and I know that she has found the break up really hard to deal with. I remember her saying something along the lines of 'If I ever saw you with another girl I think I would burst into tears'. I feel like I can prevent this from happening by not having a relationship status at all.

I suppose what I'm really asking here is, am I being unreasonable? If your boyfriend/girlfriend had these feelings would that concern or upset you?

Explain it to this new girl :smile: If shes half decent, she'll understand. Though she'll feel a little humiliated and rejected, its the best thing to do :smile:
I would like to remain anonymous please, as I don't want to upset anyone if they see it's me. Bare with me if you can as this is a little long!

I've been seeing this girl for a couple of months since I started uni. I wanted to take things slow with her as I've only just split up with my girlfriend of four years in the summer. I like this girl and I've been meeting up with her frequently, but I could sense she was getting frustrated because I wasn't showing any signs of asking her out. Well the other night I felt like it was the right time, so I asked her out and she said yes, so far so good.

The problem came the very next day when she wanted to update her Facebook status to 'in a relationship with...'. I'm now currently staring at the request wondering what to do.

There's a few reasons why I don't want to do this yet and they are:

1. I haven't even told the people closest to me that I'm going out with her yet and I would prefer to do this naturally and progressively as opposed to a massive shock announcement over Facebook. I feel like I owe my friends and family the privilege of knowing in person first.

2. I would like to keep things private and reserved for the moment, as It's going to take time for me to get used to being in a relationship again.

3. My ex and I split up on really good terms, but we haven't spoke since. I respect and care for her still and I know that she has found the break up really hard to deal with. I remember her saying something along the lines of 'If I ever saw you with another girl I think I would burst into tears'. I feel like I can prevent this from happening by not having a relationship status at all.

I suppose what I'm really asking here is, am I being unreasonable? If your boyfriend/girlfriend had these feelings would that concern or upset you?

I know where your coming from and I don't think your unreasonable at all either. Facebook relationships is stupid also.

In my previous relationship the girl changed her status straight away and I accepted it, making things public off the bat like that was the worst thing I probably did. After that relationship I removed my status and made it hidden.

With the girl I'm with at the moment, we 'seen' each other for a while then I asked her out. Not straight away but a week or two after I received a random text about midnight after being on the phone a couple hours before, saying that she was going to change her face book status to in a relationship with me and that if that was ok?... I had to respond the next day but wasn't sure how. I was honest and bascialy just said what was the point and what does it change. She was free to change hers if she wanted too but mines was gonna remain hidden and mainly because it's my private life and my private life doesn't involve face book. Not those words but n that sense.

Now all I can advise you is to be honest with her and tell her face to face what you have told us OR you could change your privacy seetings, hide the status from everyone else and accept it. Meaning only see will see it and it will keep her happy - won't she doens't know doesn't hurt her.
Reply 23
Show this girl what you've just posted. It'll explain it perfectly.
Reply 24
Original post by balface
Relationship statuses on facebook...so silly! My boyfriend is "widowed" and I think mine is hidden. We never put "....is in a Relationship with ....."

Agreed! Mine has been hidden since I got facebook, I will never change it because of all the drama that comes with it. I don't wanna broadcast my relationship to everyone either. The people who 'count' i.e. know me in real life, knows all about my love life anyway, that's the way I see it.

And LOL, 'widowed'. :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by Cybele
Agreed! Mine has been hidden since I got facebook, I will never change it because of all the drama that comes with it. I don't wanna broadcast my relationship to everyone either. The people who 'count' i.e. know me in real life, knows all about my love life anyway, that's the way I see it.

And LOL, 'widowed'. :biggrin:

Exactly, plus, if you ever break up with your boyfriend then inevitably, you have then put "...is not Single" and everyone would see and ask questions. I feel sorry for people when I see that in my newsfeed.

He's so funny bless him, I noticed it and was all "Babe, widowed?" and he goes, "Oh yeah I just thought it'd be funny. Don't worry, I don't think you're dead to me or anything, and our love is alive and all that."
Original post by MissMoanie
you sound like a nice guy - at least you are senstitive.

the new gf seems a bit needy to have done that straight away, buy hey perhaps she just really likes you.. BUT on the other hand, if you wanted to ease in, not upset the ex etc etc, perhaps you shouldn't have asked her so soon and just let it run in a bit further. seeing as you've asked her, you kinda got to accept the request now i think personally...depends if you see it going anywhere... does it really matter if you don't tell people in person? just call them beforehand...

Yeah- i agree
Reply 27
I don't put my relationship status on Facebook. And it kind of sucks if you break up, and everyone are like " :frown: !! Aww? What happened?!"

:rolleyes:
Reply 28
Original post by alexcs
Change it - then go onto your profile and delete the post - that way it won't turn up on everybody's walls provoking the :O response.

IS this true? Ive always assumed it is, but hard to know for sure.
Just reject the request and say from the start that you don't do relationship statuses on facebook. I was in this situation and rejected the request, the girl was a bit put out at first but I just said that I didn't want to be on facebook. As that internet meme with the sunglasses falling onto various different animals goes...she has to DEAL WITH IT

I've been seeing this

you sound like my ex :frown:

I really hope you're not!
Reply 31
OP is a wet blanket.
Reply 32
Wait a tick, you are a nice guy....and you got a girl? TROLL
Reply 33
lol I have to agree with you

It aint the best way to break to your mates that u have a new gf. Its open to being 'liked' and really "funny" comments.

You could delete it from your news feed?
(edited 13 years ago)
Wash your vagina and man up zzz

Jesus, some of the **** people on here are scared/moaning about.
Reply 35
Honestly people, unless you're in a reality tv show or surrounded by pre-pubescent friends (bad example) then they just won't care that much.

You are not the centre of their lives.
I know it's a difficult thing to understand but there it is.
Lol facebook.
Reply 37
1. You don't go out with your ex anymore.
2. Your friends don't have to know about her first.

Just accept it or just forget about it cus it's only Facebook.
Reply 38
You know it isn't a real relationship until its on the facebook. That's what makes it official.

Just explain you want to tell people for real because you're a fan of real life?
Original post by dhutch
IS this true? Ive always assumed it is, but hard to know for sure.

Yes... just sometimes you need to delete it quick because somebody will notice. I just changed mine from single to nothing (so it came up tht i was no longer listed as single, im taking it slow :colondollar:) and somebody still noticed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending