The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to get over your first love?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
n = y

Where n = number of weeks it took to stop feeling moochy, and y = number of years we were involved for

Weeks?! Whoah that was quick! Are you generally like this? In terms of bonds you make with people
Several years.
Reply 22
Feels like never right now.
Original post by Mona-S
Honestly I remember feeling like that!! But I regret it so much! I can't believe I spent so much time crying over him when he didn't even care.
Think about it, you've been feeling like this for over 6 months and he is probably out having fun, not even caring about your feelings.
Seriously, he is not worth it!!
When I think about the times I did what you are doing, I feel really stupid because I let a human make me feel likes this.

In my head I know all of that is true but I still can't stop feeling the way I'm feeling.
I hate crying over him. I know he doesn't value me the way I value him.
I hate how much time I've wasted thinking about him.

He is out enjoying himself. I know he has reason to celebrate today so he'll be out right now probably getting high and completely ****-faced and then find some girl to bang. I shouldn't even be thinking about it.

I don't know why I put him on a pedestal but I do. I don't know if I'll ever meet anyone else who made me feel the way he did.

You are right though. It is ridiculous that I'm letting a human make me feel this way.
Original post by Foo.mp3
n = y

Where n = number of weeks it took to stop feeling moochy, and y = number of years we were involved for

Wow, you weren't lying when you said not long.
So how did you manage to detach yourself from her so quickly?
Reply 27
Original post by cuddle_me_in
In my head I know all of that is true but I still can't stop feeling the way I'm feeling.
I hate crying over him. I know he doesn't value me the way I value him.
I hate how much time I've wasted thinking about him.

He is out enjoying himself. I know he has reason to celebrate today so he'll be out right now probably getting high and completely ****-faced and then find some girl to bang. I shouldn't even be thinking about it.

I don't know why I put him on a pedestal but I do. I don't know if I'll ever meet anyone else who made me feel the way he did.

You are right though. It is ridiculous that I'm letting a human make me feel this way.

I know and that's why you need to stop feeling like this over him.
One thing I would recommend you doing is writing a diary and writing all your feeling down.

And trust me you will find someone else. I use to think that but trust there are so many guys that are better than him.

I can't tell you that this will definitely stop because as you know, it took me a long time. But I noticed that I would stop thinking about him when I was out having fun with friends, and over time I just forgot he existed.
Think about it after a year or maybe 5 years, you will look back and think I can't believe I did those things for him. His just not worth your time.
Original post by Mona-S
I know and that's why you need to stop feeling like this over him.
One thing I would recommend you doing is writing a diary and writing all your feeling down.

And trust me you will find someone else. I use to think that but trust there are so many guys that are better than him.

I can't tell you that this will definitely stop because as you know, it took me a long time. But I noticed that I would stop thinking about him when I was out having fun with friends, and over time I just forgot he existed.
Think about it after a year or maybe 5 years, you will look back and think I can't believe I did those things for him. His just not worth your time.

Funnily enough, I do keep a diary. I picked it back up, after years of not writing in it, just so I could write down how I was feeling.

Sometimes I want nothing more than to see him again but now I think, realistically, this absence is probably what I need to get over him. When I think about it, I’ve been feeling depressed a lot longer than ½ a year. I was depressed even when I spent time with him because I always knew he never wanted me, even if we were closer to each other than anyone else. I just didn’t have it in me to pull myself away.

Ha, part of the reason I keep a diary is because I want to remember what I felt during a certain period. Otherwise, I forget the experiences that I had and the way things made me feel. I want to forget him but I don’t want to forget that this experience happened. I can't imagine how I'll feel when I read back on it.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 29
Funnily enough, I do keep a diary. I picked it back up, after years of not writing in it, just so I could write down how I was feeling.

Sometimes I want nothing more than to see him again but now I think, realistically, this absence is probably what I need to get over him. When I think about it, I’ve been feeling depressed a lot longer than ½ a year. I was depressed even when I spent time with him because I always knew he never wanted me, even if we were closer to each other than anyone else. I just didn’t have it in me to pull myself away.

Ha, part of the reason I keep a diary is because I want to remember what I felt during a certain period. Otherwise, I forget the experiences that I had and the way things made me feel. I want to forget him but I don’t want to forget that this experience happened. I can't imagine how I'll feel when I read back on it.

Thank you :smile:

I do not think you should see him again. It'll just bring all your feelings back. I think this is why it took me a long time to get over him, because every time I tried to, I would see him again after a couple of months and all my feelings would come back.

HAHA me too!! I wanted to keep a diary to remember how it made me feel so I don't fall in love again! I don't want to go through the same thing again. But writing was the best thing, because I wrote down everything I wanted to say to him, which really did help.

No problem. :tongue:
Hopefully you'll get over him some time soon. :wink:
Five years.
2 Weeks.
Still not over her tbf, there's always a vague longing for her, and a small sense of feelin incomplete, not gonna lie lool So I've moved on and rebounded with tragic outcomes since we broke up 2014. She has a kid not mine. If she saw this she'd prob laugh with vindication like she got the last punch. Oh wellz.
Original post by Profesh
Five years.

...that's prison man. Set yourself free.
1st love 3 years
2nd love 5 months and ongoing

there were points were i thought i got over him but as soon as i saw him or heard about him it would all come back
also when you see all these fboys you cant help but think how good he was compared to all theses boys that just lead you on for attention then block you away from their lives, but i promise it ALWAYS gets better
i remember at the start i thought i would never be the same chirpy girl again but now i'm back to as i was before,
humans are designed to be adaptable, and so you just move on as life goes on
people come and go, I've learned to accept that so never hold on to tight......
sorry I'm going through this phase now:tongue:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Yup, generally somewhat spectrum, rarely able to form lasting/deep connections (mostly due to health/circumstance) not at all soppy, very choosy, highly secure in myself/self-reliant, and rarely short of options/pessimistic about future potential :bandit:

Spoiler

We are like complete opposites.

Yes,we know you are rarely short of dating options/potential partners..

What exception?
Original post by Mona-S
I do not think you should see him again. It'll just bring all your feelings back. I think this is why it took me a long time to get over him, because every time I tried to, I would see him again after a couple of months and all my feelings would come back.

HAHA me too!! I wanted to keep a diary to remember how it made me feel so I don't fall in love again! I don't want to go through the same thing again. But writing was the best thing, because I wrote down everything I wanted to say to him, which really did help.

No problem. :tongue:
Hopefully you'll get over him some time soon. :wink:

Well he hasn’t asked to see me, even though he said he would like 5 times since he left. As hard as it is to be away from him, it’s probably a good thing that he hasn’t asked me because I wouldn’t have the will power to say no. But the fact that I’m viewing the situation with a bit of clarity is progress, I guess. Usually, I’m just sat beating myself up about the fact that we haven’t seen each other in so long.

I still hate myself so much sometimes because I wasn’t good enough.

Yeah, I don’t hear from him for weeks and weeks and I feel like I’m beginning to let go. Then I’ll hear from him and, all of sudden, I get happy again. My feelings intensify again. Repeat cycle. I feel like it has been a lesson to not let myself get so close to anybody again. Then again, right now, it’s difficult to imagine there ever being someone else.

Lol, I wrote in it just now before I replied to this.

Another thing I found difficult was not being able to tell my mother about how I felt, since it’s a highly inappropriate situation if you come from a background like mine. Sometimes, I so badly wanted to tell her because I thought she was the only one who’d be able to help ease the pain I was feeling but I just couldn’t.

Thank you, you’ve offered some good advice. I think I needed to hear something like this as a starting point.x
A long time.

An even longer time til I got to the point of not even thinking about them anymore.
Original post by Anonymous
1st love 3 years
2nd love 5 months and ongoing

there were points were i thought i got over him but as soon as i saw him or heard about him it would all come back
also when you see all these fboys you cant help but think how good he was compared to all theses boys that just lead you on for attention then block you away from their lives, but i promise it ALWAYS gets better
i remember at the start i thought i would never be the same chirpy girl again but now i'm back to as i was before,
humans are designed to be adaptable, and so you just move on as life goes on
people come and go, I've learned to accept that so never hold on to tight......
sorry I'm going through this phase now:tongue:

Yeah, I still think of him as being above everyone else. There was just something so special about him. He was uniquely different.

Thanks for your response.

Haha, don't apologise.
I was close to someone for a period. We were never "together" but we developed an unlikely friendship over time. We were both pretty broken people and, even though our lives are worlds apart, we just grew closer together.

He never wanted me the way I wanted him but he was still so good to me. He looked after me and he made me feel better when I felt like ****.

He moved and I haven't seen him in half a year. In the beginning, I was so depressed that I didn't want to get out of bed. I didn't eat properly for a few months, I even cut myself one day when I felt really shitty. It brought all my past issues with low self-esteem and self-hatred and depression back.

I tell myself that deep down it would never have worked anyway. There would have been religious/cultural issues on my side and drugs and other **** on his side but it doesn't help. I made him my absolute world and, since his absence, I've completely lost myself.

I'll admit, I'm not as ****ed up about it as I was months ago but I still think about him every day. It's half a year down the line and I still break down crying if I think about him too much.

I mean, do these feelings ever ****ing stop?

It took me at least a year to get over my ex. So I can empathise with you.

Especially since I also went through the hardships of pain that you endured.

I still sometimes think about her, even though it's been over a year ago since we broke up. I became deeply depressed and was forced to take medications to calm my depression. But on the outside you'd think I was mentally stable.

I only truly got over her, when I found someone new. Then I started being optimistic about life and completely forgot about my ex. I think once you find a new love in your life, the emotional pain will subdue and disappear.

So don't don't worry I am sure you'll find a new partner. And start being happy again.

It's just a question of time and patience.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending