Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do women worry about walking alone at night but not men? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Are you being serious? Answer this. When was the last time you heard about a man being gang raped on a street corner?

ReputationRep:
    I am a woman and I would not risk being out all alone at night, no matter how safe the place is said to be.

ReputationRep:
    I've been catcalled, groped and actually humped in a bus in broad ****ing daylight so I don't know...why would I ever feel afraid to walk alone at night??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katty-ish)
    I can't speak for other women, but I'm a 5'1'' girl who sometimes can't open heavy doors, so there goes my chance of protecting myself I mean, I'd obviously try, but I doubt I could do much.
    5ft11 women here and I'm equally scared!
    I doubt my long lanky legs can harm anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Maybe, in those cases, women suffer from sexual assault which can be worse than getting robbed or injured.

What, there is no can be in this discussion, as either situations can have lasting psychological damage.
    If you were to say rape,then yes I would agree with you
    It is normal to feel on edge and on guard, even if you're a man.
    Men can still feel as vulnerable as women.
    You walk through certain parts and not fit in, and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venetiaan)
    I've been catcalled, groped and actually humped in a bus in broad ****ing daylight so I don't know...why would I ever feel afraid to walk alone at night??
    sorry for asking but do you have a body that is deemed attractive?
    my bff has a extreme hourglass figure 38-25-38 and she experiences this quite often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madeline_H95)
    Are you being serious? Answer this. When was the last time you heard about a man being gang raped on a street corner?

Plenty of stories of men being beaten and even killed by gangs of other men.
    You're more likely to see a story of a man being a victim of a violent crime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Well most rape victims are female... howEVER you're way more likely to be raped by someone you know than by a random stranger in the streets so

Probably parents who raise their daughters up in fear of going outside alone at night.
    I mean... worked for me :lol:
    Definitely

I'm so pathetic that I even get scared in broad daylight if I'm alone and in a really isolated area...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ln2u)
    so? suck it up

Not literally 😃

ReputationRep:
    Boris will sort it out.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by balanced)
    Just curious as to why people have this belief.

The reason people would be worried is because of the number of victims, so, when we look at victims, we see that around 33% of violent crime victims are female.

Women are half as likely to be attacked on the street as men, so why do people think this way?
    You give two different scenarios.

1. Walking home at night.
    2. Violent crime.

You need to look at the figures more deeply. What does the male violence consist of, street violence, muggings, gang violence.

What do the female attacks consist of rape and sexual assault? Those are going to have a lot more lifechanging effects than a simple mugging or fight. Had you thought about that?

How many more males are there out on the street?

You need to look in more detail and do some proper analysis and the answers become apparent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    sorry for asking but do you have a body that is deemed attractive?
    my bff has a extreme hourglass figure 38-25-38 and she experiences this quite often.
    No I don't really have a body that could be considered attractive. I don't really think someone who is desperate (or sick) enough to hump a 16yo cares about the type of body they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ln2u)
    so? suck it up
    So you think this is something normal that women should have to deal with every day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venetiaan)
    So you think this is something normal that women should have to deal with every day?
    Yes. Its a part of being a woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You give two different scenarios.

1. Walking home at night.
    2. Violent crime.

You need to look at the figures more deeply. What does the male violence consist of, street violence, muggings, gang violence.

What do the female attacks consist of rape and sexual assault? Those are going to have a lot more lifechanging effects than a simple mugging or fight. Had you thought about that?

How many more males are there out on the street?

You need to look in more detail and do some proper analysis and the answers become apparent.
    You forgot murder off your list of crimes against men

ReputationRep:
    because if someone steps to me i have little hesitation in knocking them the **** out. i think ladies in general arent as keen to start throwing hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ln2u)
    Yes. Its a part of being a woman.
    So if that's a part of being a woman, sexual harassment, assault and rape are just a part of being a man right?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    You forgot murder off your list of crimes against men
    I wasnt giving a comprehensive listi of what goes into violent crime. The OP asked a question then came up with some flawed conclusions.

The ONS splits them into.
    1. Homicide
    2. Weapons
    3. Intimate personal violence and sexual iffences.
    4. Alcohol related.

I was looking at the Crime Survey for England and Wales 2013/14- violent crime and sexual offences- pub Feb 2015.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious as to why people have this belief.

The reason people would be worried is because of the number of victims, so, when we look at victims, we see that around 33% of violent crime victims are female.

Women are half as likely to be attacked on the street as men, so why do people think this way?
    As people have said, girls are physically weaker.

But maybe the reason for your statistic is because women tend not to actually walk at night, whereas men can feel more confident in doing so.

ReputationRep:

Women are less able to defend themselves, obviously.

Where are you getting your stats from?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.