The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Invisible
Private school of course, where the money talks, rather than student intelligence and motivation.

I object to that...I won a scholarship to a private school.
Reply 21
Valen
And what is wrong with grammar schools (ignoring the private/public debate at the moment). I went to a grammar school and it dosent change how smart I am, and i dont pay any money to somehow magically make my grade better. Are you saying that my hard work over the last couple of years is worthless?

Many pupils at grammar school attain AAA because they are smart, which is why they passed an exam to go to that school.

I don't think they actually said any of that, only that grammar/private schools would affect the statistics as they tend to have more students with high grades through having a selective input and/or better teaching for less naturally-able students (in my opinion a naturally able student will achieve the same whereever you stick them, and would count myself as evidence of this).
Reply 22
calumc
I don't think they actually said any of that, only that grammar/private schools would affect the statistics as they tend to have more students with high grades through having a selective input and/or better teaching for less naturally-able students (in my opinion a naturally able student will achieve the same whereever you stick them, and would count myself as evidence of this).

but invisible was just saying how they wern't statistics because they included grammar and public schools... for some reason this suddenly made the worthless-and he was just defending that.
Reply 23
Squishy
I object to that...I won a scholarship to a private school.

I was just about to say the same thing. My family don't pay for my fees, and couldn't do anyway for that matter.
Reply 24
pikaboo
I was just about to say the same thing. My family don't pay for my fees, and couldn't do anyway for that matter.

Yeah, it is kind of sad that money can buy a better education, but then it's also not fair that some people are born more intelligent or hard working than others.
jay9386
Just wondering what the % of people getting 3 As at A2 was last year and whether it really is special to get 3 As or not? Thx

Jay

It used to be a big achievement, but now that so many people get it it's not that big a deal overall... though it can still be in context e.g. you were the only one in your school.

Stats off the top of my head - 20,000+ get AAA (this was 2 years ago, and would have inched up now) and 1 in 8 get ABB or better. (NB - Number of A-Level students annually is six figures).
Reply 26
Jools
It used to be a big achievement, but now that so many people get it it's not that big a deal overall... though it can still be in context e.g. you were the only one in your school.

30 years ago 2As and a B almost guarenteed you a place at Oxbridge
Invisible
I don't want the stat for the % of AAA's, I want the % of AAA's attained by comprehensive school students.

I don't want any gay eton puff included in a stat that includes me because he's reared to get A's by being rich rather than clever, thank you very much.

So don't give us a gay stat.

Normal schools only please.

You are clearly ignorant to the fact that Eton is selective as well as private.
Reply 28
Louise_1988
30 years ago 2As and a B almost guarenteed you a place at Oxbridge

Hell no...maybe not 30, but around 40 years ago, you still needed a good knowledge of Latin to get into Oxbridge. Most students at public schools would also stay on an extra year to get preparation for the special entrance tests. A-levels alone wouldn't cut it.
Reply 29
Louise_1988
but invisible was just saying how they wern't statistics because they included grammar and public schools... for some reason this suddenly made the worthless-and he was just defending that.

But surely it would be flawed to include the private/state statistics together, as it's not comparing like with like. The private sector will produce a disproportionally large effect by number of people on the overall results.

You can't just group things together like this and get a valid result. For example, breast cancer is among the most common cancer in women, but virtually unheard of (but still possible) in men - so any statistics combining the two would be flawed, and suggest the likelyhood of a man developing the disease was higher than it actually is, and vice versa. In this case there is an "unnaturally" high number of high-achieving students in the private sector and so for an accurate representation this should be dealt with seperately to state students in my opinion.
Reply 30
Squishy
Hell no...maybe not 30, but around 40 years ago, you still needed a good knowledge of Latin to get into Oxbridge. Most students at public schools would also stay on an extra year to get preparation for the special entrance tests. A-levels alone wouldn't cut it.

no... that's not totally true, yes you did normally stay a second year, my father had 2As and a B but turned down his cambridge place in favour of not spending another year at school.
A levels were much more respected then 3As was pretty amazing
They also had the good old S levels which were highly valued.
Reply 31
calumc
But surely it would be flawed to include the private/state statistics together, as it's not comparing like with like.

True, but all statistics are fundamentally biased. The only really fair way to compare your performance is to compare against the people who are in your school, getting the same teaching as you.
Reply 32
Louise_1988
no... that's not totally true, yes you did normally stay a second year, my father had 2As and a B but turned down his cambridge place in favour of not spending another year at school.
A levels were much more respected then 3As was pretty amazing

I agree that A-levels were more respected in the past, but how did your dad have a Cambridge place if he still had to stay another year at school? Didn't he need to pass more tests first?
Reply 33
Squishy
True, but all statistics are fundamentally biased. The only really fair way to compare your performance is to compare against the people who are in your school, getting the same teaching as you.

True, that's why I don't like them. You can "prove" virtually anything if you find/pick/invent the right statistics.
Can someone explain to me, why people get so touchy about something so petty?
Reply 35
Invisible
2.) It includes private schools and grammars.

and.... :confused:

Perhaps you have replied in the wrong thread?
Reply 36
The required standard has slipped so much that getting 3As is no real achievement anymore. There's no value in the grades.
MTJ
The required standard has slipped so much that getting 3As is no real achievement anymore. There's no value in the grades.

Funny that so many people fail to get those grades then....
Reply 38
Pencil Queen
Funny that so many people fail to get those grades then....

Because of increased competition if you want to be at the top 3A's aren't anything really, a minimum of 4 A's is something harder to achieve for most people..
Reply 39
MTJ

Then we may as well leave school at 14 and get a job at the local tyre factory.

Latest

Trending

Trending