The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

being engaged isn't a legal agreement, you can be engaged any age you want. To get married however its 16 with parental and 18 without, or 16 without in scotland.
aye what the PP said.

I got engaged at 17 myself and then married at 21.
Reply 22
It depends. For a lot of people the idea of getting engaged/married young seems really bizarre because they wouldn't want to be tied down so young/enjoy being single/enjoy doing their own thing etc. etc. but for other people they don't -want- to date a lot of people so the idea of settling down young is.. ideal? For me, I wouldn't want to get married until I was at least 25 (finished uni, career sorted out, financially OK..) and I don't really like the idea of a long engagement haha (i'd rather wait until we were able/ready to get married to get engaged and then marry like... straight away! haha). but it's different for everyone. lots of people got married young and have stayed with their partner for yeeears and other people have and the relationships have fallen apart, but thats pretty much how it can go with any marriage, whether you got together young or not.
my cousin got engaged when she was 18 and they are getting married in a few months, she is 20. but neither of them went to university and have full time jobs/their own house/car etc. so it doesn't really seem that young, whereas a lot of people at 20 are still living the university lifestyle/are poor etc. and wouldn't be a good time for them to get married.
i think it is a bit silly to get engaged/married if you're not living together/have no money for your own place- sorta like mercedes and russ on hollyoaks.. i wouldnt wanna get married to someone to have to live at home with 40siblings and share a bedroom with my little sis!

Latest

Trending

Trending