The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Miss Monkey
I got the Chemistry, Biology and Maths 'Mind the Gap' ones and can honestly say for my they were pretty useless. I went through the Chemistry one but just got myself more worried that I wasn't going to be able to cope! The others I barely looked at. If I were in your position I'd just focus on enjoying the summer :smile:

yeh think im going to do that!, just go over some higher maths stuff like A* for GCSE and go over the last module for science! xxxxxxx
Any opinions on just getting the revision books? They'd just cut down on the stuff I don't need to know then...right?
are you going to get them?xxxx
The revision book, yeah why not, it's only £11 for all the ones I'll need next year for maths.
steffi.alexa
The revision book, yeah why not, it's only £11 for all the ones I'll need next year for maths.

£11 for all 3? which ones are you getting? x
indie_couture
£11 for all 3? which ones are you getting? x

I'm getting the Heinemann revise for C1 and C2, but I don't know if WH Smith have the S1 one online... I still want to get a free book though lol
steffi.alexa
I'm getting the Heinemann revise for C1 and C2, but I don't know if WH Smith have the S1 one online... I still want to get a free book though lol

could you give me a link to them ? xxxx
They don't do the S1 one...I got a book from my favourite book series instead lol.
Okay, I've placed the order. I'll tell you what they're like when I get them! :biggrin:
steffi.alexa
Okay, I've placed the order. I'll tell you what they're like when I get them! :biggrin:

Thanks! xxxxxxxxx
You'll be better off getting the workbook Heinemann books, much easier to self-teach from.
Reply 32
If you expect to get A or A* in maths then take the summer off - if you have a decent teacher then S1 and C1 will be easy. If you expect to get a B then the CGP Headstart book is useful to cover some of the higher stuff you may not have mastered.
Heinemann C1 and C2 text books were OK though some of the Exam level questions were taken from old Pure papers and are way harder than anything that comes up now, I found S1 too wordy and very difficult to self study from. They have reworked their text books for AS next year so don't know what the new versions are like.
gdunne42
If you expect to get A or A* in maths then take the summer off - if you have a decent teacher then S1 and C1 will be easy. If you expect to get a B then the CGP Headstart book is useful to cover some of the higher stuff you may not have mastered.
Heinemann C1 and C2 text books were OK though some of the Exam level questions were taken from old Pure papers and are way harder than anything that comes up now, I found S1 too wordy and very difficult to self study from. They have reworked their text books for AS next year so don't know what the new versions are like.

That's the problem - the maths department didn't do as well as the rest of the school in a recent inspection, and it's easy to see why. They have about 9 teachers (for a small school), but most of them are very young with little knowledge of teaching.

There are a few brilliant teachers, but I know that I'll have one of the rubbish teachers for S1, and for C1 and C2 I don't know yet, so I want to try and understand some of the maths before September, which will also make me feel more comfortable in class. (My Mum is worried that I won't do well.)

I am predicted an A, but in the mocks I got a B (I did get an A in the Year 10 mocks lol), so I'd rather spend some of my very long (and likely to be very boring without my friends) summer doing some maths to ensure that I can do well next year. It'll also let me know if I won't be able to stand 9 hours of maths a fortnight, plus the same amount in my free time (maths department policy)
Reply 34
steffi.alexa
That's the problem - the maths department didn't do as well as the rest of the school in a recent inspection,

There are a few brilliant teachers, but I know that I'll have one of the rubbish teachers for S1

Bummer, make sure your algebra and trigonometry are awesome and C1 should be OK. The trickiest bit of S1 is the normal distribution, the formula booklet that's provided in the exam makes most of the the rest of S1 very straightforward. My best advice once you start the course would be to get your hands on as many past papers and mark schemes as you can and use your study time to practice exam technique. The same questions come up over and over again especially on C1 and S1.
gdunne42
Bummer, make sure your algebra and trigonometry are awesome and C1 should be OK. The trickiest bit of S1 is the normal distribution, the formula booklet that's provided in the exam makes most of the the rest of S1 very straightforward. My best advice once you start the course would be to get your hands on as many past papers and mark schemes as you can and use your study time to practice exam technique. The same questions come up over and over again especially on C1 and S1.

I plan on being a total geek next year, so that should be okay lol :biggrin: I think I'll go over all the GCSE stuff this year to brush up on all the stuff that's left my brain since the exams, look though my GCSE stats revision guide and then look through the C1 and C2 books this summer.
Reply 36
When I did my A-levels last year, I got the "Head Start" books from CGP, that allegedly 'bridge the gap' between GCSE and A-level ... But in all honesty, I didn't use them, because I also bought the AS-Level books for Chemistry, Maths and Physics.

I would reccommend them really (the AS-level CGP ones, NOT the head start), because if you've got a lot of time to kill, then you can easily learn some of the stuff for it. Only the advanced concepts need really good teaching, however a great deal of them you could learn yourself, or at least have a vague understanding of what you need to do :smile:

Just be careful that you don't get lazy at AS-level, if you've learned a lot of the stuff in the holiday :p:

I don't know if that helps :smile: But hope so :smile:

Lol
AJ-24
When I did my A-levels last year, I got the "Head Start" books from CGP, that allegedly 'bridge the gap' between GCSE and A-level ... But in all honesty, I didn't use them, because I also bought the AS-Level books for Chemistry, Maths and Physics.

I would reccommend them really (the AS-level CGP ones, NOT the head start), because if you've got a lot of time to kill, then you can easily learn some of the stuff for it. Only the advanced concepts need really good teaching, however a great deal of them you could learn yourself, or at least have a vague understanding of what you need to do :smile:

Just be careful that you don't get lazy at AS-level, if you've learned a lot of the stuff in the holiday :p:

I don't know if that helps :smile: But hope so :smile:

Lol

Haha, no I won't be getting lazy - I will turn into Super Geek and use my super geek powers to help me pass my exams....Yeeeaaaah. No, I don't plan on getting lazy because next year onwards is really important.

Thanks for the advice - I will be looking through the revision books for next year's maths and my chemistry teacher said he'd put next year's resources on the school portal for us during the hols.
Reply 38
steffi.alexa

Thanks for the advice - I will be looking through the revision books for next year's maths and my chemistry teacher said he'd put next year's resources on the school portal for us during the hols.

Do you know what course you're doing for chemistry? We did the OCR Salter's course, and they made their own revision guides for the course, one for AS and one for A2. I used those far more than the CGP one, as it was tailored specifically for our course :smile:

(Saying that, the CGP ones are good because they cover ALL the courses :smile: )
AJ-24
Do you know what course you're doing for chemistry? We did the OCR Salter's course, and they made their own revision guides for the course, one for AS and one for A2. I used those far more than the CGP one, as it was tailored specifically for our course :smile:

(Saying that, the CGP ones are good because they cover ALL the courses :smile: )

No, I only know the textbooks that are used for maths and that I'm taking Biology with AQA. I could e-mail my teachers to find out, but they haven't decided what textbooks to use in science yet, because they're all new courses. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also, I don't really like CGP books because they put too much on the pages. I prefer simple, boring revision guides lol. I don't need "Cut out and keep bagpipers" to help me with my music GCSE for example.

Latest