Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acedlol)
    I had a C overall at AS, for A2 I got 120/120 and 75/80, which meant I achieved the A* overall.

A high B is basically an A, you are in a reasonable position to get the A, this is good, but A2 is definitely harder.

Don't know what exam board you are on but if its AQA I'd check out some of my post history about the GEOG3 exam, as I've sat that exam twice and managed to get 76/90 raw marks, which is pretty good if I may say so myself.
    Aw thats fantastic. By high B I mean 150UMS out of 160UMS for an A and my exam board is CCEA.

I will check that out sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiajacob)
    Hey sorry to twist this thread a little, but I also just received my AS results and am in need of some advice. I managed an A in biology (90%) an A in psychology (83%) a B in English lit (78%) and a C in chemistry (69% 1 ums off a B) I'm going to get chemistry remarked so hopefully I end up with AABB and will be dropping chemistry next hear as well as taking up the EPQ. Although I'm very pleased with my results, I had to do do 2 modular results in unit 1 biology and chemistry respectively in which I got a C and an E first time around. I'm not sure what my predictions will be next year but I'm just worried that I won't achieve them. Especially as there will no longer January exams.
    I am currently looking at applying for psychology at Nottingham (AAB), Royal Holloway (AAA), Kent (AAB), Cardiff (AAB), Exeter (AAA) , and maybe Bangor (280-340 ums) as a safe option. I am also considering UCL (A*AA). Do you think it is possible for me to achieve these grades and get offers from the above universities or would applying there be unwise? Also, do you think Bangor will be too safe an option?
    Thanks so much for any replies I really appreciate it
    I am in a similar situation. I got AAAB in econ, business, sociology and Maths. Needed an A in Maths really so resitting and dropping business. I am look at unis that have offers for AAA and A*AA even though my grades starting A2 are AAB.
    as far as I have been told (I have rang a few unis) if you are predicted the correct grades then you should apply as they look at more than just grades. They will also see that you were 1UMS off a B.
    also Bangor may not accept you as your AS may be too high and they will think that you can get an offer from a better university and decline their offer.
    as I a safe option I would look for a uni with AAB grade (not UCAS points, actual grades)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    +1 I agree with you, too many people are just expecting A grades
    I agree, but I was expecting an A (or at least a better grade than an E), but only because I worked really hard on the exam and believed that it was the best essay I'd ever written in English Literature, which is saying something as I usually got an A grade in past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lula_fifi)
    I agree, but I was expecting an A (or at least a better grade than an E), but only because I worked really hard on the exam and believed that it was the best essay I'd ever written in English Literature, which is saying something as I usually got an A grade in past papers.
    If it seems like that you might opt in for a remark. I've seen grades go up from E to A in essay based subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just wanted some advice
    In History I got a B overall (Really happy) but in one exam I got an A and the other I got a C... I'm 4 ums off an A overall, do you think it's worth getting a remark in the paper I got a C in? (Thought I had done better in that paper tbh ) .

In History do remarks usually go up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smko)
    In History I got a B overall (Really happy) but in one exam I got an A and the other I got a C... I'm 4 ums off an A overall, do you think it's worth getting a remark in the paper I got a C in? (Thought I had done better in that paper tbh ) .

i'd get a photocopy of the paper that you scored a C on - then go through it with your teacher and send off for remark if need be

History is a subjective marking subject , so you do tend to find remarks going up by a significant amount , however they can also go down - and they do tend to stay the same at times aswell ! so it's really best to have a look at it first , don't want it going down by a grade

ReputationRep:
    I think people just didn't work as hard as they thought they did.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people get predicted grades before AS exams, doesn't that make students work less because they're going to assume they are getting these grades because their teacher said so

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they've been marked harshly, AS is a massive step up from GCSE and if you get above a E in AS, you've still passed. I got my above my predicted (BBBB) and got AAAB in maths, English language, PE and chemistry, but I still felt the work load increase and the stress was horrible..

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAAA along with a couple other people at my school.

ReputationRep:
    Can you still apply to Oxbridge with the 4th AS being lower than an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smko)

My friend had his history remarked and it went up 18 marks! Went from a D to a B. He had a written apology from the chief examiner for WJEC History, and rightly so.
    So I'd say go for it. Even if it gets marked down you're very unlikely to go down an entire grade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    Yh i haven't heard of anyone achieving more than an AA at AS this year?
    AAAAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizy)
    Can you still apply to Oxbridge with the 4th AS being lower than an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hells na

ReputationRep:
    Same at my college, so many people aren't being accepted back for second year. Seems like our year is on the receiving end of a crack down on difficulty of exams, was the same at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how many have dropped out in my school but probably hardly any.

Alot of people who got the likes of 3 D's will come back just because their friends are here but personally I would just start new a levels else where it isn't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    I have no idea how many have dropped out in my school but probably hardly any.

Alot of people who got the likes of 3 D's will come back just because their friends are here but personally I would just start new a levels else where it isn't worth it.
    I know right, I don't think my school kicked anyone out yet most of the people got really bad results like 4 E's or CDEU. One of my friends was retaking year 12 and he got CDE and I was feeling sorry for him . So retaking the year might not be the smartest thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    I know right, I don't think my school kicked anyone out yet most of the people got really bad results like 4 E's or CDEU. One of my friends was retaking year 12 and he got CDE and I was feeling sorry for him . So retaking the year might not be the smartest thing to do.
    Yea thats awful, I think i'd die if I had got bad results. I don't know what my yeargroup got though as I got someone else to collect. I'm sure they did alright. Not sure how many dropped out. You gotta feel sorry for them ones.

I personally would not have retaken the year because I really could not be bothered haha.

ReputationRep:
    VERY HARSH I got kicked out of six form for getting ADE and distinction(btec)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by jvc95)
      VERY HARSH I got kicked out of six form for getting ADE and distinction(btec)

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Hardly harsh at all.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.