The Student Room Group

Nottingham GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
D'you reckon - or do you think it's pushy before the 17th?

I'm so English, I don't want to upset anyone... *headdesk*

I emailed and I'm on the waiting list, which is why track isn't updated!
Reply 481
Original post by Zorg
I had a few questions, if you wouldn't mind taking a stab at answering some.

- How well equipped are the PBL rooms? Are they accessible 24/7? Or even just 7 days a week?

- Anatomy teaching at Swansea seems incredibly well co-ordinated, with students from other Uni's utilising Swansea's Anatomy podcasts. Any idea how Nottingham compares?

- Do GEM students tend to stay in Derby for the 4 years or move to Nottingham after 18 months? I realise this one is probably variable from year to year, but would be interested in hearing your experiences.

- To what extent are basic science/clinical research activities available? I realise the majority of labs will be at Nottingham, but can students get involved in these? Even outside of curriculum? E.g. summer projects etc.

With reference to research, this post seems to suggest there is a society for such antics, but at the open day last year the admissions tutors highlighted that we would be on an accelerated course and there likely wasn't time for that... :confused:

1. Can use PBL anytime except when the people in the year above/below are having a PBL session.

2. I found it really good. The workshops are really good and I use my workbook still on clinical placement.

3. Depends! You will probably end up in all the sites. Most people tend to migrate over to Nottingham eventually though.

4. I suppose you can but honestly you will be so busy on GEM you won't get much time to devote to it. Most people try to get an audit done on clinical phase.

Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nug
The only thing different this year was my GAMSAT and UKCAT scores. The rest of application was exactly the same. Its all just about getting your foot in the door to show them what you are all about!

how did you study for UKCAT this time around as I unfortunately only got mid 600s and need to bump it to mid 700s! I need to think about this soon as UKCAT is September time, which is coming at us fast again!
Reply 483
Original post by maherro
1. Can use PBL anytime except when the people in the year above/below are having a PBL session.

2. I found it really good. The workshops are really good and I use my workbook still on clinical placement.

3. Depends! You will probably end up in all the sites. Most people tend to migrate over to Nottingham eventually though.

4. I suppose you can but honestly you will be so busy on GEM you won't get much time to devote to it. Most people try to get an audit done on clinical phase.

Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

So you'll be at Lincoln for at least one rotation almost definitely? Was hoping I might escape that one unscathed, Swansea has equally distant placements though as do most med schools these days.
Original post by Zorg

- How well equipped are the PBL rooms? Are they accessible 24/7? Or even just 7 days a week?

- Anatomy teaching at Swansea seems incredibly well co-ordinated, with students from other Uni's utilising Swansea's Anatomy podcasts. Any idea how Nottingham compares?

- Do GEM students tend to stay in Derby for the 4 years or move to Nottingham after 18 months? I realise this one is probably variable from year to year, but would be interested in hearing your experiences.

- To what extent are basic science/clinical research activities available? I realise the majority of labs will be at Nottingham, but can students get involved in these? Even outside of curriculum? E.g. summer projects etc.

With reference to research, this post seems to suggest there is a society for such antics, but at the open day last year the admissions tutors highlighted that we would be on an accelerated course and there likely wasn't time for that... :confused:

Maherro covered pretty much everything I'd have said.

Where research is concerned I can't say I've come across all that many opportunities if any at all, though I haven't particularly gone looking. What I will say is that there isn't a research society based over here in Derby, and you might find trying to keep up with a society/activities over at University Park a stretch with the workload as suggested, as well as getting back and forth

Also the PBL rooms are well equipped and the building (and rooms are accessible) 24/7, except where the other year is scheduled to use them for a PBL session. You'll probably have seen that they all have a few computers and the core textbooks in them, some also have kettles and fridges, though there is a kitchenette at the end of the corridor that has microwaves, a fridge and boiling water.
Reply 485
Original post by fleur_de_haine
Maherro covered pretty much everything I'd have said.

Where research is concerned I can't say I've come across all that many opportunities if any at all, though I haven't particularly gone looking. What I will say is that there isn't a research society based over here in Derby, and you might find trying to keep up with a society/activities over at University Park a stretch with the workload as suggested, as well as getting back and forth

Also the PBL rooms are well equipped and the building (and rooms are accessible) 24/7, except where the other year is scheduled to use them for a PBL session. You'll probably have seen that they all have a few computers and the core textbooks in them, some also have kettles and fridges, though there is a kitchenette at the end of the corridor that has microwaves, a fridge and boiling water.

Ace! Thanks for that. The kitchenette is news to me, so that useful.

Any idea how long the year is, as in how many weeks? Or if you have the 2014/15 term dates to hand would be amazing!
Original post by Zorg
Ace! Thanks for that. The kitchenette is news to me, so that useful.

Any idea how long the year is, as in how many weeks? Or if you have the 2014/15 term dates to hand would be amazing!

I don't have the term dates to hand at the moment, but the first term is 14, the second 11, and the third 11 for first year, with Christmas and Easter breaks being approximately three weeks each.
Reply 487
I don't have the term dates to hand at the moment, but the first term is 14, the second 11, and the third 11 for first year, with Christmas and Easter breaks being approximately three weeks each.

Thank you. I'm sure I'll get the exact dates soon enough, just wanted to get my finances in order as soon as I could.

The year does seem a lot shorter in comparison to most other GEMs. Most of the other's I'd seen were 40 weeks at the very least. Ah well.
Original post by Zorg
Thank you. I'm sure I'll get the exact dates soon enough, just wanted to get my finances in order as soon as I could.

The year does seem a lot shorter in comparison to most other GEMs. Most of the other's I'd seen were 40 weeks at the very least. Ah well.

I suppose that might have something to do with the fact that a lot of places have their pre-clinical phase entirely in the first year, while at Notts it's spread over 18 months?

In terms of more precise dates for this year we had:

Year 1: 09.09.14 16.12.14, 3 week Christmas vacation, 05.01.15– 20.03.15, 3 week Easter vacation, 13.04.15 26.06.15, with second year starting right at the beginning of September
Reply 489
I suppose that might have something to do with the fact that a lot of places have their pre-clinical phase entirely in the first year, while at Notts it's spread over 18 months?

In terms of more precise dates for this year we had:

Year 1: 09.09.14 16.12.14, 3 week Christmas vacation, 05.01.15– 20.03.15, 3 week Easter vacation, 13.04.15 26.06.15, with second year starting right at the beginning of September

Thanks for the dates. :smile:

I suppose that is true. But does that not impede on your clinical training? In that does it ever feel like you learn less from clinical years as it is essentially 6 months shorter than elsewhere? I suppose this may be a question Maherro would have more experience to answer, but I'd value your opinion.
Original post by Zorg

I suppose that is true. But does that not impede on your clinical training? In that does it ever feel like you learn less from clinical years as it is essentially 6 months shorter than elsewhere? I suppose this may be a question Maherro would have more experience to answer, but I'd value your opinion.

Leicester do pre clinical in 18 months too but we then have exactly the same length of clinical (2.5 years) as those on the five years. I highly doubt they would do it if it's not enough hours/chance to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zorg

Original post by ForestCat
Leicester do pre clinical in 18 months too but we then have exactly the same length of clinical (2.5 years) as those on the five years. I highly doubt they would do it if it's not enough hours/chance to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye the same is true here, we have the same amount of clinical time as those on the 5 and 6 year courses here. I can't comment on how it feels as I haven't experienced it, but I haven't heard that from seniors. I would expect that if it had been an issue thus far changes would have been made. Also, the fact that time spent in the clinical phase is not necessarily an indicator of how much clinical time one actually has might well be a factor.
Original post by kateamelia
Do you have exams to revise for over the holidays or are the assessments during term?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assessments are generally during term, though there are times that you might have an essay to do in the holiday such as Easter.
Reply 493
Original post by Zorg

Hi Zorg,

The PBL rooms are open 24/7 and full of books that can't leave the rooms. All the rooms have projectors and computers.

As for the anatomy we have online packages as well as weekly anatomy workbooks and sessions. You can also request to have the specimens and can go in and study any time.

As for the accomodation after 18 months some stay and some move to nottingham.

And as for research there are oppertunites however at any grad entry medicine degree you may be pushed for time. You don't want to over work.

Hope this helps
Ell
Reply 494
Original post by Zorg

In short: naaaaaah

Clinical placement is very long with little holiday time. Believe me you will get plenty of experience. I haven't heard anyone complain about our 'lack' of clinical placement. To give you an idea of our placement structure:

CP1: Gen Med/Surg split lasting 17 weeks

CP2: Paeds 10 weeks, ObsGyne 10 weeks, Psych 6 weeks, Geriatrics 3 weeks, Specials 6 weeks, SSM 4 weeks (though have heard rumours of time being taken from paed and obgyn to make room for a primary care placement)

CP3 : Primary care 4 weeks, critical care 4 weeks, surgery 8 weeks, medicine 8 weeks, ortho/rheum/muscularskeletal 6 weeks

When compared to other medical schools its a little shorter but i don't really feel it makes a huge amount of difference tbh. I would prefer to have a solid 18 months of pre clinical behind me rather then just a year. I really don't think a year is long enough to properly learn and absorb everything you need to know for clinical years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 495
Original post by N23456
Congrats to all you guys with offers.

Can I ask how many times you've applied before getting offers? I'll be going into my third application, but only been interviewed this year as my first go was more of a trial run...

Second application, absolutely no responses last year, four interviews and four offers this year, slightly in shock but I'd say absolutely apply again, it's incredible the difference a year can make!
Original post by gre92
Second application, absolutely no responses last year, four interviews and four offers this year, slightly in shock but I'd say absolutely apply again, it's incredible the difference a year can make!

That's great - it just goes to show that you should never give up after one attempt (maybe even multiple!!).

If you don't mind me asking, was there a significant difference in your application the second time around (e.g. work experience) or was in your entry exam(s) that improved (or both)? Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 497
Original post by somethingbeautiful
That's great - it just goes to show that you show never give up after one attempt (maybe even multiple!!).

If you don't mind me asking, was there a significant different in you application the second time around (e.g. work experience) or was in your entry exam(s) that improved (or both)? Thanks :smile:

I sat the GAMSAT for the first time this cycle so I could apply to all those unis, and I'm awful at the ukcat so applied to 3 GAMSAT unis, and 1 UKCAT uni. Then this year i have been working as a HCA and volunteering at a hospice which i do think helped me at interview in terms of things to talk about, but in terms of actually getting the interviews I wouldn't say had much of a bearing, especially for somewhere like Nottingham. Having said that I do feel like the job has been great prep for life in a healthcare career. Have you applied before?
Original post by gre92
I sat the GAMSAT for the first time this cycle so I could apply to all those unis, and I'm awful at the ukcat so applied to 3 GAMSAT unis, and 1 UKCAT uni. Then this year i have been working as a HCA and volunteering at a hospice which i do think helped me at interview in terms of things to talk about, but in terms of actually getting the interviews I wouldn't say had much of a bearing, especially for somewhere like Nottingham. Having said that I do feel like the job has been great prep for life in a healthcare career. Have you applied before?

Thanks very much for the reply :smile:

Yes, I applied for the 5 year courses in 2008 for 2009 entry and had interviews at Southampton (BM6) and UEA (A100). I was rejected after interview so I naively thought I wasn't good enough at all for Medicine and went and did an Arts degree instead of completing my Access course and trying again or at least doing a science based degree. Now I'm a lot more educated about the competition for Medicine and more assured in my own academic abilities so I'm going to apply this year for GEM.

Did you find it difficult to get HCA work? There are no openings where I live and I can't seem to even get work as a Domestic in the NHS (might be due to being overqualified or sheer competition for roles - I'm not sure).
Reply 499
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Thanks very much for the reply :smile:

Yes, I applied for the 5 year courses in 2008 for 2009 entry and had interviews at Southampton (BM6) and UEA (A100). I was rejected after interview so I naively thought I wasn't good enough at all for Medicine and went and did an Arts degree instead of completing my Access course and trying again or at least doing a science based degree. Now I'm a lot more educated about the competition for Medicine and more assured in my own academic abilities so I'm going to apply this year for GEM.

Did you find it difficult to get HCA work? There are no openings where I live and I can't seem to even get work as a Domestic in the NHS (might be due to being overqualified or sheer competition for roles - I'm not sure).

No problem! Yeah I had similar doubts with regards to reapplying, but it's so worth doing! When i was looking there was nothing in my local hospitals so I literally googled for the best nursing home in my area and cold emailed them asking for vacancies. They gave me an interview and said they'd take me so I got really lucky, I absolutely love the job too :smile: I'd say have a look at nearby nursing homes and also hospice work, I had a volunteer HCA position at one nearby and it was brilliant, the people who work there are just so sound, as I guess you have to be in that environment. Are you studying or working now? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending