Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_uter15776)
    Not much to add but I know that Qn 7 was the hepatic <portal> vein question...

oh, and there was one about why an alcohol producer would want to use fructose vs. glucose/mannatose?
    Oh yeah... for that I think I wrote that the rate at which microorganisms make alcohol is greater with fructose compared to the other sugars.
    I THINK I wrote this....I don't even remember what the question was...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantaˌ)
    Could you give me what you wrote? Then I can add it in...

Was Question 4 the one about the iron lung/positive pressure? What did everyone write for it?
    Coronary bypass surgery

The heart is stopped from beating and a pumped is used in place for the duration of the procedure. The narrowed section of coronary artery is cut and removed from the surface of the heart. Then, another section of blood vessel (usually from the groin) is cut out and the two ends of the vessel stitched back up. The section of vessel is then taken to the location on the heart and stitched onto the coronary artery. The heart is restarted and the blood should flow as normal.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote the iron lung took up alot of space but the modern one was much more expensive. I doubt they're right

ReputationRep:
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme for the B2 paper?

ReputationRep:
    You're missing a part from question 3, it had three parts

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone put for describe the graph?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helena...)
    What did everyone put for describe the graph?
    That the pressure (or thing we were describing) increased to a certain point(i put in the value) and then it decreased back to zero, and the pressure increased and decreased at the same rate as it took 1.2 seconds for each. Not sure if thats completely right though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannyboy1236)
    You're missing a part from question 3, it had three parts
    What part am I missing? Can you remember?

ReputationRep:
    Quanta I don't want to sound picky but is there any possibility of you maybe being able to add some marks? As in a (4) for Q1? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryRiley88)
    Quanta I don't want to sound picky but is there any possibility of you maybe being able to add some marks? As in a (4) for Q1? Thanks
    Sure. I can't remember any marks, though. Can you? I'll add them when I get the marks for a few questions...

And what was question 4 about?

ReputationRep:
    What part am I missing? Can you remember?
    Was it not the blood vessel E part? I'm not sure if that was the same question though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJT513)
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme for the B2 paper?
    Here you go...

Spoiler:
    Show
    a) Phloem and xylem (1 mark)
    b) Diffusion is the movement of molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration across the concentration gradient. (2 marks)
    c) Oxygen (1 mark)
    a) Create a grid from the grass field and use a random number generation to produce coordinates. (2 marks)
    b) Seven or eight squares (1 mark)
    c) By counting the squares which covered more than half the area of the square. (1 mark)
    d) 28% (if seven squares), 32% (if eight squares) (2 marks)
    e) The availability of nutrients and water. (1 mark)
    a) ---
    b) Lipase is secreted by the pancreas and small intestine, which breaks down the fat molecules into smaller soluble molecules. The lipase breaks down the fats, lipids, into fatty acids and glycerol. Bile is produced in the liver and stored in the gall bladder, and is released into the small intestine. This makes conditions alkali so the enzymes in the small intestine work more efficiently. Bile also emulsifies the fats by breaking down the fat molecules into smaller droplets, increasing surface area, so the enzymes including lipase will work faster. (6 marks)
    a) Cytoplasm and cell membrane. (2 marks)
    b) Anaerobic respiration in yeast cells produce alcohol, whereas anaerobic respiration in human muscle cells produce lactic acid. (1 mark)
    c) Draw a graph of the change in the rate of photosynthesis on an increase in temperature Draw a graph of the change in the rate of photosynthesis on an increase of carbon dioxide concentration The other two factors that affect the rate of photosynthesis are temperature and the availability of carbon dioxide. As the temperature increases, the rate of photosynthesis also increases. This is because molecules move faster, so the reaction will be faster. However, above a temperature of around 40 to 45 degrees celsius, the enzyme denatures, as bonds holding the enzyme of photosynthesis together break, and therefore the rate of photosynthesis will be much slower. As the rate of carbon dioxide increases, the rate of photosynthesis also increases upto a certain point. Above this point, increasing the concentration of carbon dioxide further will make no difference, and therefore carbon dioxide is no longer the limiting factor - this will instead be the availability of water, the light intensity, or the temperature. (5 marks)
    a) 8.6 pH (1 mark)
    b) Hydrochloric acid (1 mark)
    c) Enzyme X (1 mark)
    a) The DNA code for the order in which to build a specific protein. The changed DNA meant that the order will have been changed, so a different protein will have been created, one that doesn't work. Enzymes are proteins. (3 marks)
    b) The changed HEXA gene is recessive. The boy will have inherited a gene from both parents, and so he will have Hh (where H is the unchanged gene, h is the changed gene) (3 marks)
    c) Draw a genetic diagram. The boy and his wife both have Hh, and so the possibilities are HH, Hh, Hh, hh. HH and Hh have no changed HEXA enzyme, hh has changed HEXA enzyme. (3 marks)
    a) This means that no isomerase will get into the fructose, and won't have to be removed afterwards. This also means that they won't have to spend more money purchasing more of the isomerase enzyme, as enzymes are often expensive to produce. (2 marks)
    b) From a rate of 5dm^3 and above, the rate of production is optimal and stays the same. The manager decided to use 5dm^3 as it is the lowest value, and so is least expensive, while having optimal production. (2 marks)
    c) Fructose is sweeter than glucose, so less of it will need to be used for the same sweet taste to food. This is good for slimming food as it means that the person having the food will take in less carbohydrate, but still eat food that tastes the same. (2 marks)
    a) The chromosomes duplicate the genetic material to create two identical sister chromatids. (1 mark)
    b) Gametes have half the number of chromosomes as a normal body cell. As meiosis consists of two divisions, this means that they need to duplicate the DNA so that the gametes formed will have half the number of chromosomes. (2 marks)
    c) Four chromosomes in species A, eight chromosomes in species B (1 mark)
    d) The offspring will have 12 chromosomes. (1 mark)
    e) Evidence of a common ancestor include that they are able to combine gametes to produce perfectly healthy offspring. Also the plants look very similar in the photographs. (2 marks)
    f) The plant will have inherited four chromosomes from A and eight chromosomes from B. This means that not all the genes will have a pair, and therefore cannot produce gametes. (2 marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolface32)
    Was it not the blood vessel E part? I'm not sure if that was the same question though
    Nope. That was question 2...

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to put the number of marks on the mark scheme?
    I'll start
    Question 1 (4 Marks)
    Question 2a (1 Mark)
    Question 2b (1 Mark)
    Question 2c (2 Marks could be 3 can't remember)
    Question 3a (1 Mark could be 2)
    Question 3b (6 Marks)

ReputationRep:
    Q1 4 marks
    Q2 A - 1, 2B-1 ,2C-2 marks
    Q3 Ai -1, aii 2 marks (one for calculation and one for answer I think) 3B 6 marks
    Q4 -A= was about the blood vessel question maybe? Artery,capillary and vein 3 marks and part B was about the composition -1 mark
    Q5 a- What else does tadpole absorb? I put mineral ions... 1 mark. part B was what else bar movement does adaption X do 2 marks maybe.
    I can't remember any others but I'll think about it

ReputationRep:
    Still need answers for Questions 4, 5, 6, and 7...

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to conclude in the 6 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still need answers for Questions 4, 5, 6, and 7...
    Q4 -A= was about the blood vessel question maybe? Artery,capillary and vein 3 marks and part B was about the composition,the answer was its deoxy in the artery and oxy in the vein-1 mark
    Q5 a- What else does tadpole absorb? I put mineral ions... Most probably gonna be oxygen,1 mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLTontour)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think so. It said 'list the advantages and disadvantages'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLTontour)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not 100% sure, I personally didn't do a conclusion since it never said evaluate but others have said you need a conclusion for the full 6 marks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.