The Student Room Group

Creepy sleep paralysis experience?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thecatwithnohat
I've suscribed to this thread.

I've never experienced it myself, but I'm intrigued to find out about peoples experiences. Have you also seen the mysterious dark figure while in sleep paralysis?

Sleep paralysis (for me anyway) is when I'm sub-consciously aware of being in a state of sleep/shut-down, then I try to move the blanket or try to move myself to the opposite direction or try to get up / wake up but being unable to do so. It's like an invisible force freezing every single, tangible part of my body but my subconsciousness.

I would say it's similar to being in a deep state of anesthesia and trying to wake up / recover from it.
Original post by iSerendipity
Ah thanks for the explanation :smile: Is there a reason why some people experience this and not others? The Joker smile is creepy :eek: How old were you when you saw that particular dream? And would you say that was your scariest experience? Do you remember the first time you went through it, did you know what was happening to you?

I'm not too sure. I think anyone can experience it but it just depends on the state of your body. I was 19, it happened during my first year of uni. It was also the first time I had sleep paralysis since moving to uni, I obviously only had it at home before then. It was the scariest one yeah, simply because it was the first face I actually saw. Before it was just dark figures. First time it happened I was more weirded out than scared. Because of the way I sleep I often wake up with dead arms because I usually fall asleep with them underneath me, so when this first happened I thought I must have slept so bad that I was experiencing the same dead arm feeling all over. But it was all over so quickly I didn't pay attention to it. It wasn't until when I started to realise it was something more than a dead arm feeling, and that I couldn't even talk or move my eyes about that I started to get scared from it.
Original post by ExRN
Another question that may appear strange...... any autistic spectrum stuff in the family? That smell stuff I don't get, but is that triggered by anything? I have something else called color grapheme synaesthesia where my numbers and letters appear in different colours. it's all linked man. one more awkward one....... use any substances? stimulants, eurogics etc?

One of my sisters has been tested for ADHD and Asperger's I belive with negative results but can look at her sometimes and think "If I didn't know any better..."
My maternal granddad also suffered psychotic depression (I think that's what it was) involving being institutionalised.

Normally the smell thing will just come unannounced, like when my mind is (unusually for me) pretty blank. The perfume one happened the other day when I was peeing and therefore not really thinking of much at all, for example.

No synaesthesia.

Substance-wise, I smoke (just tobacco, tried the other stuff a couple of times but didn't agree with it/it didn't agree with me so that was it), can't get through the day without caffeine, and recently been prescribed gabapentin which my Googling just now tells me could also have an effect on this sort of head stuff...
Original post by Joey321
Hi, I often suffer from sleep paralysis which at times can be pretty scary but I find them pretty interesting.
For anyone who might not know sleep paralysis when you're unable to move or speak normally when waking up or sometimes falling asleep during this people often see thing and can experience something really creepy which at the time can seem very real. Sorry if I haven't made much sense wasn't sure how to put it.

But if you have experienced any that you have found weird or creepy feel free to share and if would like to hear some of my own feel free to ask.

I've had it a few times before,it's scary and funny at the same time,I also had like some sort of hallucination of demons,I'm actually serious.
Original post by Joey321
Hi, I often suffer from sleep paralysis which at times can be pretty scary but I find them pretty interesting.
For anyone who might not know sleep paralysis when you're unable to move or speak normally when waking up or sometimes falling asleep during this people often see thing and can experience something really creepy which at the time can seem very real. Sorry if I haven't made much sense wasn't sure how to put it.

But if you have experienced any that you have found weird or creepy feel free to share and if would like to hear some of my own feel free to ask.

And I feel like I am not in control when I wake up,and you try to move but you can't,and I feel like I am suffocating,when paralysis happens.
Original post by Novascope
I'm not too sure. I think anyone can experience it but it just depends on the state of your body. I was 19, it happened during my first year of uni. It was also the first time I had sleep paralysis since moving to uni, I obviously only had it at home before then. It was the scariest one yeah, simply because it was the first face I actually saw. Before it was just dark figures. First time it happened I was more weirded out than scared. Because of the way I sleep I often wake up with dead arms because I usually fall asleep with them underneath me, so when this first happened I thought I must have slept so bad that I was experiencing the same dead arm feeling all over. But it was all over so quickly I didn't pay attention to it. It wasn't until when I started to realise it was something more than a dead arm feeling, and that I couldn't even talk or move my eyes about that I started to get scared from it.

I have to say, I watch horror movies and I'm getting more scared reading this thread than watching those :lol: I'm sorry I asked so many questions :redface: I appreciate you answering, this is fascinating to me. prsom x
Original post by iSerendipity
I have to say, I watch horror movies and I'm getting more scared reading this thread than watching those :lol: I'm sorry I asked so many questions :redface: I appreciate you answering, this is fascinating to me. prsom x

Yeah it's quite scary to read upon haha. I was a little worried about bringing it all up again but I thought I'd share my story in case it helps or informs others. Also no problem at all :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by Danno190
One of my sisters has been tested for ADHD and Asperger's I belive with negative results but can look at her sometimes and think "If I didn't know any better..."
My maternal granddad also suffered psychotic depression (I think that's what it was) involving being institutionalised.

Normally the smell thing will just come unannounced, like when my mind is (unusually for me) pretty blank. The perfume one happened the other day when I was peeing and therefore not really thinking of much at all, for example.

No synaesthesia.

Substance-wise, I smoke (just tobacco, tried the other stuff a couple of times but didn't agree with it/it didn't agree with me so that was it), can't get through the day without caffeine, and recently been prescribed gabapentin which my Googling just now tells me could also have an effect on this sort of head stuff...

I just wrote an epic reply and it told me I had to type something in order to post!! Jesus.
right....rundown of post:

psychotic conditions in the family do increase the risk of developing it also. It's no biggy though as my two uncles are both schizophrenic and one of them knows everything there is to know about cars with regards to specifications etc. I am 29, so I have missed the boat for schizophrenia luckily but I have stages of total isolation where all I want to do is listen to language tapes or study some data like area codes etc. I know that may sound sad to people but it's me. if your early indicators do manifest into something similar, just embrace it. There is a very fine line between genius and insanity and thsts proven. keep smiling. what are you studying BTW? im going to hazard a guess on a technical subject like maths or comp science.
(edited 8 years ago)
From my experience concentrate on wiggling a toe, the scary black man goes away/you wake up
Original post by ExRN
I just wrote an epic reply and it told me I had to type something in order to post!! Jesus.
right....rundown of post:

psychotic conditions in the family do increase the risk of developing it also. It's no biggy though as my two uncles are both schizophrenic and one of them knows everything there is to know about cars with regards to specifications etc. I am 29, so I have missed the boat for schizophrenia luckily but I have stages of total isolation where all I want to do is listen to language tapes or study some data like area codes etc. I know that may sound sad to people but it's me. if your early indicators do manifest into something similar, just embrace it. There is a very fine line between genius and insanity and thsts proven. keep smiling. what are you studying BTW? im going to hazard a guess on a technical subject like maths or comp science.

So "watch this space" then I guess?

I always say that mental "illness" is in fact just a way of saying its sufferers have a different world view and different abilities to others :smile:

Umm, law if that sounds technical enough? Suppose it does. Start in October.
And on the isolation thing. I'll often just sit down with pen and paper, or computer with Excel open, and just completely randomly number crunch. Which is weird because I was only ever mediocre at maths at school.
Reply 51
And on the isolation thing. I'll often just sit down with pen and paper, or computer with Excel open, and just completely randomly number crunch. Which is weird because I was only ever mediocre at maths at school.

Nothing wrong with being different and seeing the world from a different view. In the navy it was often said that I could tell people the square root of an orange but I couldn't tie my shoe laces. The world needs that though. You'll be alright dude. Which uni BTW and why October? Im off to hull to do three languages :-)
Original post by Joey321
Yes, it was a pretty weird one I just saw a dark shadowy figure of a man standing over my bed watching. the figure did start to move closer talking to me all it said was "Don't be scared" as it started to move closer I couldn't really make out and details of it's their face but as they came forward they just lay on my bed next to me watching me.
This wasn't really one that scared me but I found it weird that I heard it talking so I wasn't really sure what to make of it.

Two words

Slender Man
Original post by ExRN
Nothing wrong with being different and seeing the world from a different view. In the navy it was often said that I could tell people the square root of an orange but I couldn't tie my shoe laces. The world needs that though. You'll be alright dude. Which uni BTW and why October? Im off to hull to do three languages :-)

Open University. For some reason they seem to have a slightly later start date than "conventional" ones.
Reply 54
Open University. For some reason they seem to have a slightly later start date than "conventional" ones.

Motivation is a key factor in completing OU stuff. I started one in a previous life and keeping on top if it whilst juggling work etc is a difficult challenge. Make a routine and stick to it is my advice on that one. We had an officer onboard the submarine that got his 3rd degree from the OU and it took him six years to complete it. He swore by it though and said it was a good institution to study through. What law are you wanting to go into?
It starts off with sort of waking up but still asleep, I try to move a bit to get more comfortable and I find it difficult. I can just about move my hand let alone my whole body (it's like I have to tell my hand several times to move and then it eventually moves). At this point I usually just ignore it and fall asleep, however when I was younger it would wake me which is the worst experience ever. You try to scream for help, nothing. You try to sit up, nothing. You try anything and everything... nothing. Because if I didn't fall back asleep and ignore it, I'd have the full experience of not moving at all.

You're basically fully awake, but your body is still asleep. Terrible combination.

It usually happens when I sleep on my back so I try to avoid doing that as much as possible.
Original post by ExRN
Motivation is a key factor in completing OU stuff. I started one in a previous life and keeping on top if it whilst juggling work etc is a difficult challenge. Make a routine and stick to it is my advice on that one. We had an officer onboard the submarine that got his 3rd degree from the OU and it took him six years to complete it. He swore by it though and said it was a good institution to study through. What law are you wanting to go into?

I think motivation will be either my downfall, or else my turning-point. I'm hoping it's the latter because there's been enough false-starts with things I've tried to do in the past to get myself out of retail slavery but not stuck at them.

I'm hoping family law, as a solicitor. Had more than enough issues to deal with close to home in this area, so I guess it's my way of making the most of experiences.

And I figure even if I get a low degree at the end of it then I could always carry on and do something else through OU and branch out post-grad.
Reply 57
I think motivation will be either my downfall, or else my turning-point. I'm hoping it's the latter because there's been enough false-starts with things I've tried to do in the past to get myself out of retail slavery but not stuck at them.

I'm hoping family law, as a solicitor. Had more than enough issues to deal with close to home in this area, so I guess it's my way of making the most of experiences.

And I figure even if I get a low degree at the end of it then I could always carry on and do something else through OU and branch out post-grad.

You can do what you want when you want man. I still dont know what I want to do really at 29. Im going uni for 4 years to do something I know I can do and enjoy but after that it's thinking time again. At least with family law you will never be without work! It's amazing how soon targets change though. I think I want to live in Germany after this degree because education is free over there so may as well go and get another one. Maybe something physics related. Times do change though so who knows. I guess staying on this site would be a good motivator for you. Whenever you are slacking, I am positive a bunch of us will give you some positive encouragement. You a southerner by any chance?
Original post by ExRN
You can do what you want when you want man. I still dont know what I want to do really at 29. Im going uni for 4 years to do something I know I can do and enjoy but after that it's thinking time again. At least with family law you will never be without work! It's amazing how soon targets change though. I think I want to live in Germany after this degree because education is free over there so may as well go and get another one. Maybe something physics related. Times do change though so who knows. I guess staying on this site would be a good motivator for you. Whenever you are slacking, I am positive a bunch of us will give you some positive encouragement. You a southerner by any chance?

I am indeed! Born in Pompey, lived in Gosport til I was 7, then moved to Bournemouth.

It's funny, I remember watching Rupert the Bear as a kid and seeing some professor guy in a hot air balloon talking about all his diplomas from x number of universities, and that's kinda always been my dream. More so than the "doing good in the world having a positive impact on people's lives" at times. Just the studying for studying's sake.
Reply 59
I am indeed! Born in Pompey, lived in Gosport til I was 7, then moved to Bournemouth.

It's funny, I remember watching Rupert the Bear as a kid and seeing some professor guy in a hot air balloon talking about all his diplomas from x number of universities, and that's kinda always been my dream. More so than the "doing good in the world having a positive impact on people's lives" at times. Just the studying for studying's sake.

I was never stationed in Pompey unfortunately. Went to old naval hospital there though to do the submarine escape training. Was only a three day stay but not bad from what I remember. (it's was a drunk few days). Bournemouth is where they do diver training in the mob. Just off there anyway. Whale island maybe?
Mines not really a Rupert bear kind of ambition lol. I want to reach polyglot status and then just lesrn everything I can. I think that's what we are here for. Meaning of life is either internal or external depending on the individual I think and mine is definitely internal. As long as I have learnt everything I can for myself that will be my meaning fulfilled I think.

Quick Reply

Latest