Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice for upcoming Year 10's and 11's watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    Yes it works for most, not all, some people need to work for specific subjects and what not but that doesn't mean they have to obsessively revise. There's options for extra support offered in schools etc, which means there's no need to be spending loads of time revising and not spending time doing anything else.

I have been through GCSE's and A-Levels

I was one of those people who took GCSE's too seriously, but now reflecting on it, I shouldn't have, because honestly, it's not worth it in the bigger picture.

You'll understand this once you start A-Level's.

I don't believe in obsessively revising, I believe in spreading it out in chunks. I believe in a balance. I was not disagreeing with what you said but I was disagreeing with doing it a day before or whatever, that was all.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sarao)
    Hmmm, my first post seems to have disappeared
    Did you see what I said above?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    I don't believe in obsessively revising, I believe in spreading it out in chunks. I believe in a balance. I was not disagreeing with what you said but I was disagreeing with doing it a day before or whatever, that was all.
    Well I had something like 26 exams mainly in one big chunk so I really had no choice but to do that, but because I had actually listened in class throughout the year and done homeworks etc, I still done well

(Original post by karmacrunch)
    Did you see what I said above?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I replied to it explaining that I hadn't seen it before I replied to the other one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    Well I had something like 26 exams mainly in one big chunk so I really had no choice but to do that, but because I had actually listened in class throughout the year and done homeworks etc, I still done well
    Yes, that's what I was getting it - for some people it has to work. For some it just doesn't. I always done homework on time and well and listened in class but still had to revise a lot! Oh well, I guess it's just what we said first off, it depends on the person!

ReputationRep:
    To the person who was asking about organisation (I can't find your original post).

Use folders instead of books. Folders allow you to organise everything into different sections and things dont get muddled up.

Folders are your friend
    Exercise books are your enemies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    To the person who was asking about organisation (I can't find your original post).

Use folders instead of books. Folders allow you to organise everything into different sections and things dont get muddled up.

Folders are your friend
    Exercise books are your enemies
    Yes! I used these and they're brilliant because you know where everything is.

ReputationRep:
    Organise your notes. I found flash cards to be the best thing, you're going over things and learning the information again and then writing it down. It's very good active revision. You're also condensing down the notes to what's relevant. I never found timetable's helpful at all but you might. I must also add that the Get Revising site is very useful for revision guidance and notes and to make a timetable.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, well, I was on Edexcel however, we also (clearly) had coursework.

You would find it harder to get the A without a decent enough coursework grade but it isn't impossible. What did you get?
    I haven't gotten the results yet but I'm pretty sure I failed since I basically winged it as I didn't exactly know what to do during the coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    I haven't gotten the results yet but I'm pretty sure I failed since I basically winged it as I didn't exactly know what to do during the coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was talking about the coursework result? That's wrong, you should know exactly what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about the coursework result? That's wrong, you should know exactly what you're doing.
    Oh, sorry, I just finished it last week so I haven't gotten my result yet.

He did try to explain it to us but most of the class didn't get it. I tried to get his opinion by showing him some of my drafts but he keeps saying "You can do it", "This is great work" and other praises without telling me why it's great or how I can improve it.

Whenever I ask him for help, he keeps saying that I'm gonna ace it. He didn't even tell us how to do the intro or the conclusion, since he says that it doesn't matter but then another teacher said that it counts for maybe 2-3 marks.

The whole thing was a mess and it will most likely cause my grades to go down and that's gonna disappoint a lot of people since the English department gave me a high target, my tutor gave me a high target and my classmates believe that I'll get great grades. It's just a mess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry, I just finished it last week so I haven't gotten my result yet.

He did try to explain it to us but most of the class didn't get it. I tried to get his opinion by showing him some of my drafts but he keeps saying "You can do it", "This is great work" and other praises without telling me why it's great or how I can improve it.

Whenever I ask him for help, he keeps saying that I'm gonna ace it. He didn't even tell us how to do the intro or the conclusion, since he says that it doesn't matter but then another teacher said that it counts for maybe 2-3 marks.

The whole thing was a mess and it will most likely cause my grades to go down and that's gonna disappoint a lot of people since the English department gave me a high target, my tutor gave me a high target and my classmates believe that I'll get great grades. It's just a mess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hm. I really don't know what to say. You should be able to amend it or resit it as it's coursework. When you get it back, use the marks and grade boundaries for OCR English to work out what you'll need to get on your papers for an A and see if it's achievable.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

But..... we were told that due to some reforms, we can't do resits and I was hoping to do it in A-levels too *sigh*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

But..... we were told that due to some reforms, we can't do resits and I was hoping to do it in A-levels too *sigh*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can't resit EXAMS due to reforms, that's not the same for coursework.

ReputationRep:
    You can't resit EXAMS due to reforms, that's not the same for coursework.
    Really? Thanks, I'm gonna ask my teacher or my tutor as soon as possible about that. Hopefully, they'll allow me to resit since I just messed up a 15% CA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really? Thanks, I'm gonna ask my teacher or my tutor as soon as possible about that. Hopefully, they'll allow me to resit since I just messed up a 15% CA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest, I'm not a hundred percent sure if you SHOULD be doing it but the exam boards would never know if you resat something ONCE

ReputationRep:
    How hard is the Maths GCSE? we had the pre-public exams i didn't turn up for the non-calculator loool but for the calc exam i got a B but i found it really hard Revision tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickra_)
    How hard is the Maths GCSE? we had the pre-public exams i didn't turn up for the non-calculator loool but for the calc exam i got a B but i found it really hard Revision tips?
    I hated Maths and couldn't do it. You will need to work hard throughout the year in Maths if you struggle.

I always found revision hard for Maths but past papers are probably your best bet alongside watching Tutorials and other Videos on YouTube.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=JayJay-C19;48641944]Religious Education is the easiest think I have ever done. A* in every test, mock and practise paper and almost every exam question I got full marks on, straight - for two years.

Wow, have you got any advice for RE
    ( I'm in year 9) my end of year exam for RE is Tuesday! I'm still stuck at a C grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.