The Student Room Group

Advice for upcoming Year 10's and 11's

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JayJay-C19
Organise your notes. I found flash cards to be the best thing, you're going over things and learning the information again and then writing it down. It's very good active revision. You're also condensing down the notes to what's relevant. I never found timetable's helpful at all but you might. I must also add that the Get Revising site is very useful for revision guidance and notes and to make a timetable.

Thanks!:smile:
Oh, well, I was on Edexcel however, we also (clearly) had coursework.

You would find it harder to get the A without a decent enough coursework grade but it isn't impossible. What did you get?

I haven't gotten the results yet but I'm pretty sure I failed since I basically winged it as I didn't exactly know what to do during the coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by Firenze26
I haven't gotten the results yet but I'm pretty sure I failed since I basically winged it as I didn't exactly know what to do during the coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was talking about the coursework result? That's wrong, you should know exactly what you're doing.
I was talking about the coursework result? That's wrong, you should know exactly what you're doing.

Oh, sorry, I just finished it last week so I haven't gotten my result yet.

He did try to explain it to us but most of the class didn't get it. I tried to get his opinion by showing him some of my drafts but he keeps saying "You can do it", "This is great work" and other praises without telling me why it's great or how I can improve it.

Whenever I ask him for help, he keeps saying that I'm gonna ace it. He didn't even tell us how to do the intro or the conclusion, since he says that it doesn't matter but then another teacher said that it counts for maybe 2-3 marks.

The whole thing was a mess and it will most likely cause my grades to go down and that's gonna disappoint a lot of people since the English department gave me a high target, my tutor gave me a high target and my classmates believe that I'll get great grades. It's just a mess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Oh, sorry, I just finished it last week so I haven't gotten my result yet.

He did try to explain it to us but most of the class didn't get it. I tried to get his opinion by showing him some of my drafts but he keeps saying "You can do it", "This is great work" and other praises without telling me why it's great or how I can improve it.

Whenever I ask him for help, he keeps saying that I'm gonna ace it. He didn't even tell us how to do the intro or the conclusion, since he says that it doesn't matter but then another teacher said that it counts for maybe 2-3 marks.

The whole thing was a mess and it will most likely cause my grades to go down and that's gonna disappoint a lot of people since the English department gave me a high target, my tutor gave me a high target and my classmates believe that I'll get great grades. It's just a mess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm. I really don't know what to say. You should be able to amend it or resit it as it's coursework. When you get it back, use the marks and grade boundaries for OCR English to work out what you'll need to get on your papers for an A and see if it's achievable.

But..... we were told that due to some reforms, we can't do resits and I was hoping to do it in A-levels too *sigh*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66

But..... we were told that due to some reforms, we can't do resits and I was hoping to do it in A-levels too *sigh*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't resit EXAMS due to reforms, that's not the same for coursework.
You can't resit EXAMS due to reforms, that's not the same for coursework.

Really? Thanks, I'm gonna ask my teacher or my tutor as soon as possible about that. Hopefully, they'll allow me to resit since I just messed up a 15% CA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Really? Thanks, I'm gonna ask my teacher or my tutor as soon as possible about that. Hopefully, they'll allow me to resit since I just messed up a 15% CA

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I'm not a hundred percent sure if you SHOULD be doing it but the exam boards would never know if you resat something ONCE :s-smilie:
Reply 69
How hard is the Maths GCSE? we had the pre-public exams i didn't turn up for the non-calculator loool but for the calc exam i got a B but i found it really hard :frown: Revision tips?
Reply 70
Original post by ickra_
How hard is the Maths GCSE? we had the pre-public exams i didn't turn up for the non-calculator loool but for the calc exam i got a B but i found it really hard :frown: Revision tips?

I hated Maths and couldn't do it. You will need to work hard throughout the year in Maths if you struggle.

I always found revision hard for Maths but past papers are probably your best bet alongside watching Tutorials and other Videos on YouTube.

Good luck!
Religious Education is the easiest think I have ever done. A* in every test, mock and practise paper and almost every exam question I got full marks on, straight - for two years.

Wow, have you got any advice for RE
( I'm in year 9) my end of year exam for RE is Tuesday! I'm still stuck at a C grade :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest