The Student Room Group

Midwifery 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by lbux20
I've got an interview at Leeds this Friday, when's yours? I've also got interviews at Manchester (31st Jan), Salford (11th Feb) and York (21st Feb) and I got a rejection from Chester back in December..

How did you find Manchester and Salford?? xx
Laura Buxton

i actually ended up withdrawing from leeds as manchester is my first choice! it was for this friday also though, good luck!!

i found both salford and manchester really good, but also very different!

salford is individual, the maths tests is harder but i thought the english test was absolutely fine. manchester is group, the maths test is easier and you get loads of time, and again the english test was absolutely fine

the staff at both are absolutely lovely and make you feel very relaxed so try not to worry! just make sure you know the role of a midwife inside out and why you want to be one, as well as reading around current issues in midwifery :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by lbux20
I've got an interview at Leeds this Friday, when's yours? I've also got interviews at Manchester (31st Jan), Salford (11th Feb) and York (21st Feb) and I got a rejection from Chester back in December..

Laura Buxton

If you don't mind me asking what grades at AS did you get? And have you done any work experience for your application? Xx
Reply 82
Original post by Rosanna7
If you don't mind me asking what grades at AS did you get? And have you done any work experience for your application? Xx

I finished my A-levels last summer and am taking a gap year to have a break from studying (this is my first year applying to UCAS though). I got AAB in biology, chemistry and maths respectively and A in psychology at AS. I worked in a disabled school in all my frees at sixth form in year 12 so about 6-8 hours a week. I've spoken with various midwives in my local community, I've attended antenatal classes and other support groups in my area for different types of women. And at the moment I'm working in a college during my gap year.
Reply 83
Original post by lbux20

Laura Buxton

Hi Laura, I have an interview at Manchester on the 31st too :smile:
Emilie

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by Millie71
Hi Laura, I have an interview at Manchester on the 31st too :smile:
Emilie

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh good luck! is it your first choice?x
Reply 85
Original post by staceylea
ohh good luck! is it your first choice?x

Manchester is my first choice! So nervous!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by lbux20
Manchester is my first choice! So nervous!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww good luck! It's a really relaxed day xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 87
Aww good luck! It's a really relaxed day xx

I've practised loads of the maths tests just to get a feel for the questions. Read loads of articles leading up to my interviews and prepared some answers I'm not sure what else to do! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by lbux20
I've practised loads of the maths tests just to get a feel for the questions. Read loads of articles leading up to my interviews and prepared some answers I'm not sure what else to do! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

With what you've soon it sounds like you'll be fine :smile: x

Reply 89
Original post by Herrington_x
I got an interview from Birmingham City literally last night. I wouldn't worry though because it depends when you sent it and they also have loads of applications to sort through!:smile: Although, I know it's difficult not to get impatient when everyone else seems to be getting somewhere!

how did your interview go at BCU? did you have to do a maths and english test?! and what type of questions did they ask?! and how long did they take to get back to you?!
Reply 90
hey,
how was the interview at bcu?
what questions did they ask you?

and hbutler1 - when's your interview at bcu??isit on the 5th ?
Reply 91
Original post by Caitlhan
Hey :smile: I sent mine off on the 19th of November to Edge Hill, Manchester, Leeds, Northumbria and LJMU but unfortunately LJMU rejected my application. They said 'a good personal statement however more midwifery related experience and professional reading around the subject would strengthen your application' :frown:

I applied EVERYWHERE for voluntary work experience. Went to GP and asked to shadow him and/or the community midwife; Southport & Ormskirk as well as Wigan & Leigh hospital; Sure Start centres, First steps; local ante natal classes; people I know who are midwives and even a friends dad who's sister is a midwife in Sheffield (hours away from me), but they all said no or just never replied!! How am I supposed to get Midwifery work experience if nowhere will take me on?:frown:

I've done work experience in a care home for months, British heart foundation shop for three years, hospital lab work experience and volunteered at a Hindu health mela where I was helping counsel patients just diagnosed with diabetes (I mentioned all this and related them to midwifery- even saying how diabetes is becoming more common and a problem for pregnant women nowadays).

My professional reading consists of textbooks, student midwife.net and my own googling. Some of us don't have the money to pay for MIDIRS subscriptions but I spoke about lotus birthing and breast feeding issues- which I obviously had to do research on.

I got BBBC in Jan (dropped the C) and it's in Chemistry, Biology and PE- C was English combined. Predicted three A's so it can't be academics :frown:

So I'm really worried about my other options. I know loads that have been rejected for midwifery... ANYONE HAVE GOOD NEWS?!

I got rejected from LJMU for the same reason too, I was really gutted as it was my 2nd choice. Have you heard back from Edge Hill?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Any offers from Manchester yet?! I wanna know who will be joining meeeeee :smile: xx

Reply 93
Any offers from Manchester yet?! I wanna know who will be joining meeeeee :smile: xx

Meeee! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Oooo have you firmed them, are they your first choice?? I firmed them a while ago :smile: xx

Reply 95
Oooo have you firmed them, are they your first choice?? I firmed them a while ago :smile: xx

Havent confirmed yet still waiting to hear back from my other choices but i really liked it :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96

I have an interview at Manchester on Thursday, what was your interview like? Any tips or advice? What were the English and Maths tests like, could you use a calculator?
Reply 97
Original post by Joules83
I have an interview at Manchester on Thursday, what was your interview like? Any tips or advice? What were the English and Maths tests like, could you use a calculator?

Just realise I replied to you on the other thread haha! Don't worry it's a really relaxed day! (See other thread for English and maths query) ... Tips would be try to relax and be yourself. Get to know people before the afternoon when the interview is and it will make it more chilled out. X

Just realise I replied to you on the other thread haha! Don't worry it's a really relaxed day! (See other thread for English and maths query) ... Tips would be try to relax and be yourself. Get to know people before the afternoon when the interview is and it will make it more chilled out. X

Hi guys,

I am speaking to you in a state of great anxiety- I accepted and confirmed an interview at Manchester Uni for this Thursday 27th. But I haven't heard a thing since then!
I don't even know what time or where I am supposed to arrive.
I have emailed and received no response as yet.
I am in tears writing this because I have just read loads of forums where people have attended really complicated interview days that require pre-prepared essay topics etc. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I have no chance of even preparing, and that'll be it for me :frown:
Please help!
Reply 99
Original post by midwifery2013
Hi guys,

I am speaking to you in a state of great anxiety- I accepted and confirmed an interview at Manchester Uni for this Thursday 27th. But I haven't heard a thing since then!
I don't even know what time or where I am supposed to arrive.
I have emailed and received no response as yet.
I am in tears writing this because I have just read loads of forums where people have attended really complicated interview days that require pre-prepared essay topics etc. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I have no chance of even preparing, and that'll be it for me :frown:
Please help!

Okay firstly, Manchester don't ask you to pre prepare an essay. Secondly you don't hear anything after confirmin your place at interview. You should have all the details you need in your interview letter on ucas - where your ucas says you have an interview if you click 'view' you should see a link to a letter or website that literally explains everything you need to take and all the details of the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending