The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by minimarshmallow
And, unfortunately, bullying isn't an argument against adoption because children won't automatically get bullied and if they did we shouldn't be dealing with that by removing the characteristic from the victim but by trying to educate and change the views of the bullies. We don't tell gingers to dye their hair, we don't tell intelligent people to dumb down, we don't tell people with freckles to get them lasered off, why should we say gay people shouldn't be able to adopt because of the possibility of bullying.

Yes, but people with ginger hair, who are tall/short/skinny whatever, that's NATURAL. It happens anyway.

Can gay couples have children together naturally? No.

Your argument doesn't apply to this particular case.
Reply 1181
Original post by FatCharlie
I hope that applies to very short/tall people, really fat/skinny one as well. Or people with funny names. Or any other thing that children might find to be a thing to bully another child over.

Erm im not sure how you do multiple quotes on this, but the post I just submitted above applies to you, too.
Original post by pixxie
Erm im not sure how you do multiple quotes on this, but the post I just submitted above applies to you, too.

I figured.

Well in my opinion, and may others, being homosexual (or any other under the "umbrella") is natural. It is nothing you choose nor something you just decide, it is something which is natural. There are many species who have been recorded showing homosexual relationships so how can it not be something that nature has caused? I hardly think that a monkey was "told" about homosexuality and therefor "decided" to have same-sex relationships?

Therefor.. It kind of is the same thing as someone being short or fat or what it might be.
Reply 1183
I figured.

Well in my opinion, and may others, being homosexual (or any other under the "umbrella") is natural. It is nothing you choose nor something you just decide, it is something which is natural. There are many species who have been recorded showing homosexual relationships so how can it not be something that nature has caused? I hardly think that a monkey was "told" about homosexuality and therefor "decided" to have same-sex relationships?

Therefor.. It kind of is the same thing as someone being short or fat or what it might be.

You clearly didn't read my post - I never said homosexuality isn't natural, but they can't conceive children naturally.
Original post by pixxie
You clearly didn't read my post - I never said homosexuality isn't natural, but they can't conceive children naturally.

Yeah, I know. I forgot to write in the last part of what I was going to write but then I forgot lol sorry. I'm kind of multitasking here.

Just because it's natural doesn't make it more correct. A brother and sister can have children, but that wouldn't be ideal now would it? An infertile cannot conceive because nature decided to, but that don't make them less natural. Mice have been found to have children without a male present so.. I guess nature is moving towards it.
Original post by pixxie
Yes, but people with ginger hair, who are tall/short/skinny whatever, that's NATURAL. It happens anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy
Not to mention gay couples could have children naturally with the help of a third party - and will probably have to instead of giving a home to one that desperately needs it because you have a problem with it.
Thank God it's legal in this country.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pixxie

Can infertile women have children naturally?
No.
Does this mean they should not be allowed to adopt?
Reply 1187
Yeah, I know. I forgot to write in the last part of what I was going to write but then I forgot lol sorry. I'm kind of multitasking here.

Just because it's natural doesn't make it more correct. A brother and sister can have children, but that wouldn't be ideal now would it? An infertile cannot conceive because nature decided to, but that don't make them less natural. Mice have been found to have children without a male present so.. I guess nature is moving towards it.

No it wouldn't be ideal, but they still physically can. And with regards to those who are infertile, it's unfortunate but they are still the minority. (and no I agree that they are no less 'normal' than anyone else). Other species have always been able to do things that we can't (e.g birds can fly, or rats react differently to diseases/medication than we do).

All I'm saying is that you phyiscally can't have a baby with only female organs or only male organs.

And as you said earlier, yes bullying is wrong and in an ideal world, it WOULD be better to educate the bullies instead of get people to change.

But ginger people have the option of dying their hair, if they do get bullied. They might not get bullied, or if they do get bullied, it still might not even bother them.
But they have a CHOICE.

I'm not saying that gay people should change who they are, or that they should never be allowed to adopt children.

All I said was that the children should be able to have the CHOICE as to whether they are adopted by a gay couple or not, and whether they are strong enough to deal with, or do not care about the (possible) bullying or whatever.

That is all I meant :smile:
Original post by pixxie
No it wouldn't be ideal, but they still physically can. And with regards to those who are infertile, it's unfortunate but they are still the minority. (and no I agree that they are no less 'normal' than anyone else). Other species have always been able to do things that we can't (e.g birds can fly, or rats react differently to diseases/medication than we do).

All I'm saying is that you phyiscally can't have a baby with only female organs or only male organs.

And as you said earlier, yes bullying is wrong and in an ideal world, it WOULD be better to educate the bullies instead of get people to change.

But ginger people have the option of dying their hair, if they do get bullied. They might not get bullied, or if they do get bullied, it still might not even bother them.
But they have a CHOICE.

I'm not saying that gay people should change who they are, or that they should never be allowed to adopt children.

All I said was that the children should be able to have the CHOICE as to whether they are adopted by a gay couple or not, and whether they are strong enough to deal with, or do not care about the (possible) bullying or whatever.

So a bunch of little babies who desperately need adopting should grow up in care homes till they're old enough to make a decision (which if you look at neuroscience is at least 14/15 before they can make a proper informed decision) about whether or not they want gay parents - have difficulties with their attachments, possibly be more inclined to criminal activity etc. because off the off-chance of them being bullied?
Reply 1189
Original post by minimarshmallow
So a bunch of little babies who desperately need adopting should grow up in care homes till they're old enough to make a decision (which if you look at neuroscience is at least 14/15 before they can make a proper informed decision) about whether or not they want gay parents - have difficulties with their attachments, possibly be more inclined to criminal activity etc. because off the off-chance of them being bullied?

"Off-chance"? I don't know what planet you're on, but kids get bullied for not wearing the 'right' clothes, never mind having gay parents.
It's not right, but its the way it is. Maybe in your little naive world, there's only an "off chance", but realistically it's usually more than a possibility.
Original post by pixxie

But they have a CHOICE.

Problem is, that's what you are saying. The fact that you are even thinking in the way that ginger children can colour their hair, is just.. Sorry, I don't have words for it in English right now.
Only reason the children should need to have to make that choice is because of people now accepting them, and there we go back to my original idea. There is no reason, what so ever not to let homosexual couples adopt. But there is however a huge need for education in sensitivity and acceptance in the schools in the UK.

Where I come from, this debate is not even half as big as it seems to be in the UK (from what I have seen as an non UK national) and I think that is solely because of the different kinds of education systems we have, what we need to learn and what you obviously don't have on your curriculum.
Reply 1191
Problem is, that's what you are saying. The fact that you are even thinking in the way that ginger children can colour their hair, is just.. Sorry, I don't have words for it in English right now.
Only reason the children should need to have to make that choice is because of people now accepting them, and there we go back to my original idea. There is no reason, what so ever not to let homosexual couples adopt. But there is however a huge need for education in sensitivity and acceptance in the schools in the UK.

Where I come from, this debate is not even half as big as it seems to be in the UK (from what I have seen as an non UK national) and I think that is solely because of the different kinds of education systems we have, what we need to learn and what you obviously don't have on your curriculum.

Oh my god, I'm saying they have the fgijsrildsjfdlsj CHOICE to do that if they want.
ITS A CHOICE.

I'm not advising that they do, but if it really BOTHERS them THAT MUCH then it's not a big deal to change their hair. If they're more bothered about pleasing other people than themselves, well they have that option. Maybe they don't like ginger/blonde/brown hair themselves, whatever.

You are never going to eradicate bullying.

Just as you aren't going to change your views about this, people who disagree with homosexuality aren't going to change theirs.

^(p.s I'm not saying you should change your views - we are all entitled to an opinion. But I'm pointing out how stubborn people are).
Original post by pixxie
Oh my god, I'm saying they have the fgijsrildsjfdlsj CHOICE to do that if they want.
ITS A CHOICE.

I'm not advising that they do, but if it really BOTHERS them THAT MUCH then it's not a big deal to change their hair. If they're more bothered about pleasing other people than themselves, well they have that option. Maybe they don't like ginger/blonde/brown hair themselves, whatever.

You are never going to eradicate bullying.

Just as you aren't going to change your views about this, people who disagree with homosexuality aren't going to change theirs.

^(p.s I'm not saying you should change your views - we are all entitled to an opinion. But I'm pointing out how stubborn people are).

I know. But what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be on the table to colour their hair.

My former school had almost no bullying what so ever. It was so very minimal and I do not believe that you cannot not stop children from that kind of behavior. I think you can minimize it to the extent of it vanishing in the end. It's about working with the kids.

I can change my views, the day that someone give me enough compelling proof, that show me that whatever it might be I got an opinion about is wrong. But until then, nah.
(edited 11 years ago)
This thread has steadily begun to wander off topic, and I believe it's now reached the point where constructive discussion has ceased.

For the above reasons, this thread is now closed. Thanks. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending