The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruffiio
That would be the maximum spendable per week to completely run out of money 0 but no one spends that much realistically per week.
Like I said mine is 151 per week but realistically i'll only be spending 20-30

How will you only spend that a week? Not go out?
Original post by FergieD
It just a uni accommodation term length, I think its like 42-weeks? So I guess 10100/42 = 240-ish

You're rich!
Reply 122
Original post by Jordanap
You're rich!

(For a student!) It because of the utterly ridiculous way the student loan company dictates how much you get - its daft. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm not allowed to complain about it anymore tho :frown:
Reply 123
Original post by Ruffiio
Haven't decided yet, maybe driving lessons because I've never needed a car in my life yet but I'll probably need one if I'm going to get a job. (that isn't in walkable distance anyway.. If i wanted a job at uni it would be close so no need for a car) Maybe save up to move out sometime in the future, I want to get out from living with parents ASAP, hence the reason I have a 50 week contract in my upcoming second year.

That sounds good, what university are you at? And what course are you studying?
How will you only spend that a week? Not go out?

I don't drink (inb4 can't have fun sober, you can check my posting history to my response on that ****)

30 a week is plenty for food and toiletries

Books can be borrowed from library and will only be bought as a last resort (I bought 2 books last year for 40, a one off payment basically because I couldn't find it online or in the library anywhere)

Club entry costs are free before 12am, I went out a lot last year and every time I got there early to save on the 5 entry fee, I will admit it's boring because hardly anyone is there but if you wait 1 hour then it's packed and you save money.
Original post by David B
That sounds good, what university are you at? And what course are you studying?

Heh, I'm a bit hesitant in posting this because of TSR's superiority complex but you'd find out from my posting history anyway. I go to the University of Central Lancashire and I study a non vocational degree in history and politics. I only got BBB at A level not good enough for Manchester :cry2:
Reply 126
Original post by Ruffiio
Heh, I'm a bit hesitant in posting this because of TSR's superiority complex but you'd find out from my posting history anyway. I go to the University of Central Lancashire and I study a non vocational degree in history and politics. I only got BBB at A level not good enough for Manchester :cry2:

What's the difference between a non-vocational and vocational degree?
Maintenance loan: 2324
Maintenance grant: 0
Bursaries: 2000
Scholarships: 0
Savings: depends on what I earn in these next few weeks
Money from parents: offered to pay for 1 week rent a month
Accommodation cost: 4290 (52 weeks)
Weekly spend after accommodation: not very much as maintenance loan and bursary just covers acclimation. I'm going to be studying adult nursing so we all get the same amount for maintenance loan no matter what the household income is.
Slightly worried...
Original post by Ruffiio
I don't drink (inb4 can't have fun sober, you can check my posting history to my response on that ****)

30 a week is plenty for food and toiletries

Books can be borrowed from library and will only be bought as a last resort (I bought 2 books last year for 40, a one off payment basically because I couldn't find it online or in the library anywhere)

Club entry costs are free before 12am, I went out a lot last year and every time I got there early to save on the 5 entry fee, I will admit it's boring because hardly anyone is there but if you wait 1 hour then it's packed and you save money.

I wish I could have fun sober (or get drunk easier) - fair play to you! Do you do anything else during the week? Go shopping or cinema or out for food?
Original post by ethompson18
Weekly spend after accommodation: not very much as maintenance loan and bursary just covers acclimation. I'm going to be studying adult nursing so we all get the same amount for maintenance loan no matter what the household income is.
Slightly worried...

Part time job?
Reply 130
Original post by Ruffiio

Yeah, majority of the people on TSR consider themselves to be suuuuuper intelligent. Bores me tbh.
Original post by David B
What's the difference between a non-vocational and vocational degree?

One is more likely to get you employed e.g. Dentistry, medicine, engineering, IT/computing related degrees, they train you for a specific job.

Others such as History, Politics, English, Psychology etc. don't necessarily have a set career path like the vocational degrees stated above and thus are more likely to leave you unemployed at the end of it.

I want to become a teacher though so it's all good :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Part time job?

I'll have to get one, asked my current manager now to transfer me but he said no...
I can also do shifts whilst I'm on placement in hospitals and get paid but still it's a pain I can't receive any more money. Lots of people in the same boat as me though
Reply 133
Original post by ethompson18
Slightly worried...

I guess the overdraft will come in handy unless you get a job.

Original post by Ruffiio
One is more likely to get you employed e.g. Dentistry, medicine, engineering, IT/computing related degrees, they train you for a specific job.

Others such as History, Politics, English, Psychology etc. don't necessarily have a set career path like the vocational degrees stated above and thus are more likely to leave you unemployed at the end of it.

I want to become a teacher though so it's all good :biggrin:

That's great/ Would you teach at primary school or secondary? Or A level.
Original post by David B

That's great/ Would you teach at primary school or secondary? Or A level.

Definitely A level (or above at university level but i'd need a Phd and/or masters for that), at least the majority of students who go onto further education will probably want to be there. I don't think I could teach high school kids because they would be too immature and I would get really annoyed trying to teach trouble kids. That said I wouldn't mind do high school for work experience but not in a permanent capacity.
Primary teaching isn't even in my consideration.

What about you, what will you be studying and do you have a career in mind? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
i can't remember exactly right now but I'm getting roughly 9.5k. (3.5k grant and 6k as loan) but my rent is 220pw (UCL). big money.

i get roughly 75 quid a week left after rent, to pay for everything, so although its a lot, rent is mad. some of my friends pay 300 pm and i pay 220 pw
(edited 9 years ago)
220 pw is mental. I thought my halls where a rip off and they range from 120-150pw lol.
Student Loan for Fees: £0
Maintenance Loan: £0
Maintenance Grant:£0
Bursaries: Not expecting anything
Scholarships: None
Savings: Enough to pay the 4 years of fees.
Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost: £6,500
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Pending further investigation.
Original post by SloaneRanger
Student Loan for Fees: £0
Maintenance Loan: £0
Maintenance Grant:£0
Bursaries: Not expecting anything
Scholarships: None
Savings: Enough to pay the 4 years of fees.
Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost: £6,500
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Pending further investigation.

How come you are paying for it?
Original post by RoundTrip
220 pw is mental. I thought my halls where a rip off and they range from 120-150pw lol.

Not if you live in London... 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending