The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

randdom
We did some teaching with GTA's who are women who come along and teach you how to take smears and do bi-manual examination today was really strange :s-smilie:

and they mentioned how the medical students in x university were so much worse than you? [they do that alot...]

Anyone see Holby City tonight? I was so disgusted with it I ended up turning it off.

Diane - absolute pussy. if your juniour refuses to do sometihng in surgery you write an incident report.
Evil Burns shagging doctor - evil to extremes
Sam - what the ****. Who was the pro girl and why does he care?
Dirty foreign doctor - Incompetent and knows it but blames all around
Patsy Kensit - Doesn't bother reporting said doctor so deserves to be shot.
1st year medical student one of who looks like joesph Fiennes or Raph fienees. i forget. - yes, because students do kill each regulary to see whats in - the light.
Jamie
and they mentioned how the medical students in x university were so much worse than you? [they do that alot...]

Anyone see Holby City tonight? I was so disgusted with it I ended up turning it off.

Diane - absolute pussy. if your juniour refuses to do sometihng in surgery you write an incident report.
1st year medical student one of who looks like joesph Fiennes or Raph fienees. i forget. - yes, because students do kill each regulary to see whats in - the light.

:frown: they didn't say that....they just spent the whole time telling me not to be nervous even though i wasn't really must have a appeared it though.
Jamie

I'm just about to go watch it now on demand :biggrin: Looks like a good ep, although Jac makes me feel nauseous.

How could ANYone shag Lord Byrne?!
randdom
:frown: they didn't say that....they just spent the whole time telling me not to be nervous even though i wasn't really must have a appeared it though.

it was funny with me, they kept telling me to be careful not to catch the clit with the speculum, and yet were telling me to push harder and harder in order to feel the cervix in the digital exam.

Mind you, when i did my GTA (mandatory at my med school) the idiots had delayed it so much because of illness that i had already done half a dozen.
so it was largely pointless
Reply 3084
Oh ****.

Battterered

Surgery tomorrow morning.

i was wondering about something...

on one of my few placements at a GP... this GP made everyone stand up for every single examination... i could understand the puff blow thingy you make asthmatics use - making them stand up for that test makes some sort of sense right... but it was ridiculous that we had to watch people having their blood pressure, listen to their chest, look in their ears all whilst the doctor and patient were standing up... i don't know anything about clinical medicine but i'm sure it was wrong...

it was all very retarded but i had completely forgotten about it... but when i went to the doctors i saw a locum doctor who looked about 12 and he did the same thing to me... is this normal?...
I've had the experience of 3 doctors and none of them have ever asked me to stand when checking blood pressure, listening to my chest etc. Unless it's a new practice.
Reply 3087
Taking a standing BP can be useful if you expect an orthostatic drop, otherwise i would expect it to be done sitting/lying (although if the patient is normotensive when standing, in all liklihood they aren't hypertensive)

Listening to the chest is probably best done standing as it allows the patient to fully expand their chest (similar to the reason peak flow should be done standing), as well as giving the doctor good access to front and back.

For cardiac it doesn't really matter a great deal, it will affect vena caval filling slightly, but otherwise wouldn't have much effect on the clinical findings in most cases (and the majority of patients in whom it would make a big difference are unlikely to tolerate standing for long)

For all the others you mention, having the patient standing just makes it easier to examine both sides quickly and easily, provided there isn't a massive height difference.

As long as the GP wasn't doing abdo/pelvic exams with them standing... :p:
mmm... perhaps... but this locum doctor wasn't listening to my chest j00ni... he asked me to stand up so he could look in my ears?!... actually, he didn't even ask me to stand up, he just suddenly said to me "stand up" like an order... and i was genuinely scared for a second cuz i had no idea what he was going to do to me...!!

and if that wasn't bad enough... he was a migit and so he had to get up on tip toes so he could look into my ear... and even then i doubt he could even see what he was doing properly... then i worked out that he didn't even read my notes because he asked had i ever had an ear infection before (and the only 3 times i've been to the GP in the past 2 years have been for ear infections - so he should have known that already)... and then i was worried he was going to make me leave without giving me antibiotics... and because i had lost any hope in his abilities i lied to him and said that i've already starting taking antibiotics cuz i knew that way he'd have to give me a prescription to finish the course... it all happened quite a while ago but i still remember it quite well because it was the first time i've genuinely regretted going to a GP...
Jamie
it was funny with me, they kept telling me to be careful not to catch the clit with the speculum, and yet were telling me to push harder and harder in order to feel the cervix in the digital exam.

Mind you, when i did my GTA (mandatory at my med school) the idiots had delayed it so much because of illness that i had already done half a dozen.
so it was largely pointless

the way they say things like push a bit harder etc is slightly weird. with ours they make sure the first time we do it is with the gta's.
Can I venture the stupid question of asking what a GTA is? :smile:
Reply 3091
Gynaecological Teaching Associates.
I see. So these women do these clinical techniques on themselves?
Philosoraptor
I see. So these women do these clinical techniques on themselves?

Nope they come in pairs and guide you as you do it e.g. they can tell when you are feeling their cervix and when you aren't and tell you etc. It is an extremely strange experience.
Ok, so what about for guys? I can't feel my own cervix!
Philosoraptor
Ok, so what about for guys? I can't feel my own cervix!

no sorry i just read that back and it sounds dodgy i meant they guide you as you examine them :P: that wasn't clear
Haha! :smile: Oh ok, wow that is weird. Heh, hope they get paid enough :p:
ANyone see Diagnosis Murder today? Pretty much a ripoff of Flatliners!
Reply 3098
Philosoraptor
Haha! :smile: Oh ok, wow that is weird. Heh, hope they get paid enough :p:
Well, apparently, they use whores in holand for this sort of thing.
idiopathic
ANyone see Diagnosis Murder today? Pretty much a ripoff of Flatliners!

I miss diagnosis murder :frown: but I am never in to watch it

Latest

Trending

Trending