The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Found this when doing a PBL a few weeks back...

some random website
Comparative neuroanatomists cite decussations as an example of the continued exploitation of a structural feature that helped our lowly ancestors escape from predators more efficiently than their even more lowly competitors.

Natural selection would not allow the loss of a decussating pathway if this were an advantage in a world full of other edible animals with non-decussating neural connections.

In order to have left and right sides an animal must have different dorsal and ventral surfaces. The struggle for survival is supposed to have been among animals that lived where "dorsal" and "ventral" were significantly related to he surroundings (on the ocean floor,in shallow water, or on land).

Even the most primitive nervous systems include motor and sensory neurons.

A potentially fatal stimulus should evoke a movement of withdrawal, so that the attacked individual may survive and reproduce itself. The animal is more likely to escape by moving away from the assaulted side, especially if the predator is not smart enough to predict such a response. The fastest neuronal circuit for stimulating withdrawal to the other side of the midline is a monosynaptic reflex: a sensory neuron has an axon that crosses the midline and contacts motor neurons that make nearby muscle fibers contract. Such an arrangement makes a worm-like creature bend away from the attacked side.

It may be significant that even in man the midline is crossed at a more caudal (presumably more primitive) level in the pathway for pain than in the pathway for discriminative sensations.

These evolutionary speculations suggest that it is generally advantageous to have neurons capable of sending their axons across the midline.

Reply 541
I hadn't really thought about it before, but I guess it makes sense - you want to move away from a pain stimulus, but you need to know what side a motor problem is on to avoid making it worse.

Beginning to really like neuroscience - shocker!!!!
Reply 542
timeofyourlife
You'll all be hooked soon enough :cool:

Not a chance in hell. Hate the stuff and always will.
Reply 543
pathology is currently my subject of hate. microbiology especially. i don't have a big enough brain for the tedious yet unique & obscure details of every pathogen we're supposed to know. :mad:
Reply 544
I like Path! It's fun, and my practical partner is very pretty.
Reply 545
Helenia
my practical partner is very pretty.

Always a bonus :biggrin:
Reply 546
anita_xx
Always a bonus :biggrin:

Absolutely. He saw me rowing the other day though :redface: Which is in itself not so bad, as he's a Blue and therefore knows about the stuff, but at the time we were looking extremely pissed off on the row home, having been denied a bump due to technicalities. This therefore makes it look like we'd been bumped, which is not good because it makes me look rubbish. :mad:
Reply 547
Bump!

Someone must have some gossip!!!! :smile:
Reply 548
Fluffy
Bump!

Someone must have some gossip!!!! :smile:

Of course I do, but it's not fit for sharing with the world :tongue:
Reply 549
Helenia

even better then..! :biggrin:

so, progress status - 2 exams down - 5 to go. used fluffy's amazing "myriad" word in 2 essays, hopefully that will dazzle them. :wink:
Reply 550
Helenia

Go on.... Go on, go on, go on!!!!!! :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 551
Elles
even better then..! :biggrin:

so, progress status - 2 exams down - 5 to go. used fluffy's amazing "myriad" word in 2 essays, hopefully that will dazzle them. :wink:

Hurray for myriad [to the tune of hurray for Hollywood!] :smile:
Reply 552
Fluffy
Go on.... Go on, go on, go on!!!!!! :wink: :biggrin:

Hehe, the rest of Clare knows :redface: Bad Helen...

Is baby bf's birthday on Friday, what do I do/get him?
Reply 553
Helenia

A bib?
Reply 554
visesh
A bib?

He's not THAT much of a baby. Just a bit younger.
Reply 555
timeofyourlife
Helen's been raiding the secondary schools ! :eek:

And I thought *I* was bad:frown:
Reply 556
timeofyourlife
Helen's been raiding the secondary schools ! :eek:

Not quite, I'm not emulating you yet, you dirty old man :p:
Reply 557
Helenia

No idea, but it's my boyf's 30th on Saturday, so if you come up with any blinding ideas, let me know!!!
Reply 558
Ooh, a new boyfriend Helen??! Is this the one you mentioned going on a blind date with a while ago?? Didn't realise it had progressed :wink: how exciting!!
How about paying for something fun for the two of you to do together??depending how adventurous (and rich) you are, could be anything from bowling to iceskating to paintballing to skydiving...would be different and interesting :smile:
Reply 559
anita_xx
Ooh, a new boyfriend Helen??! Is this the one you mentioned going on a blind date with a while ago?? Didn't realise it had progressed :wink: how exciting!!
How about paying for something fun for the two of you to do together??depending how adventurous (and rich) you are, could be anything from bowling to iceskating to paintballing to skydiving...would be different and interesting :smile:

Ooooh no, not my blind date! Yuk. Nor the one I was seeing earlier in term - we're still friends but he's not after a relationship. This is another first year, and we've only been together about 2-3 weeks, so I don't want to get anything big because a)I'm poor and b)that would be scary. Plus it's the end of term on Saturday, so will be going away :frown: Makes life soooooooo much more fun. My friend suggested one of those chocolate plaque thingies from Thorntons, just as a nice gesture (as I really don't know him well enough yet to know what sort of stuff he'd actually want) which I think sounds reasonable. Fluffy - I think you should go skydiving. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending