The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Drunk Punx
Good stuff. :smile:

There have been times when I realise that I should probably quit... the two very good reasons being health and money. But I always seem to put those reasons to the side and search for another one, and I haven't been able to find one yet. :p:

Yeah when I moved over here to Dubai the money part of the equation went out of the window as fags are dirt cheap here but I kinda thought enoughs enough when I regularly started to wake up with sore chests and became so unfit that the least form of exercise would have me breathing out of my arse! lol

Drunk Punx
It was my ex, nonetheless. *giggles*

She was 13 or 14 at the time of the drinking, bless her.

Youth drinking is a bit of a problem when they're not responsible enough to be doing it. *shakes head sadly*
Same goes for sex, actually. It's amazing how often you see people on Jeremy Kyle and the like (not a huge fan, just watch it when I'm round my mates in the morning), and he always has to say "PUT SOMETHING ON THE END OF IT!!!"

Indeed, I used to sometimes watch that if I was up that early lol...
Drunk Punx
To a non-smoker, aye.

Although before I started, I can never recall my dad coming in stinking of fags, even though I can sometimes smell it on myself after having one. 'tis quite weird.

And I think the level of stench (it comes in levels now, y'know...) depends on what they've been smoking. :wink:

I do smoke occasionally and yes, it does absolutely stink, I'd never smoke near another person regardless of whether they smoke or not. It's a filthy horrible habbit.
randomgirl
People need to drink in order to survive (sure, water is obviously more beneficial than booze, but alcoholic beverages can prevent dehydration all the same.)

Whereas there is absolutely no need to smoke in order to survive.

Lol poor effort
Reply 43
In alot of countries advertising for cigarettes is illegal. I do agree that the government is taking it to an unneccesary level because alcohol is more dangerous in the short run, someone drunk getting behind the wheel etc. But the reason why I think it is taking so serious is because of the fact that more and more people are dying for lung cancer due to smoking.
Reply 44
Drunk Punx
What, you mean the working class people like me who usually smoke while building walls then go to the pub in the evening? (MASSIVE GENERALISATION TIME FOR THE WIN!)

Your post is lost on me. :eek3:

Its a generalisation that keeps that party in power. A few monthes ago with tax changes, the government kept income tax the same for lower earners, but mildly increased the tax (VAT) on things like booze and fags. This was because, say someones income for the week is £200, the government assumes that if they tax peoples cash based on income more heavily, then it would kick up a huge fuss.

its based on the idea that if people are used to a fixed payslip (ie, people in more mundane, routine jobs), seeing their payslip decrease (because of tax) despite working exactly the same hours would be more demoralising for them and in turn, become less likely to support the government but in particular the party in power (ie, the labour party).

instead, increasing the cost of a pint by 2 or 3 pence, people would only think "oh its only a couple of pence" and the government would make massive benefits.
judicious
This must be one of the worst attempts at making drinking seem good....

Alcohol dehydrates you for goodness sake!!!!

Where do you get this info???

From personal experience, if I am thirsty, then a drink will satisfy that need. Be it alcoholic or not.

And I'm not out to defend drinking, I rarely drink myself, I'm far from a binge drinker :rofl2:, nor do I smoke.

tired yet?
Lol poor effort

So if you were in a desert without any water, you'd turn down a nice cold beer?
Reply 46
randomgirl
From personal experience, if I am thirsty, then a drink will satisfy that need. Be it alcoholic or not.

And I'm not out to defend drinking, I rarely drink myself, I'm far from a binge drinker :rofl2:, nor do I smoke.

Yeah but to claim that alcoholic drinks hydrate you is incorrect...
judicious
Yeah but to claim that alcoholic drinks hydrate you is incorrect...

Well my bad :colondollar:, maybe that was the wrong word. But whatever, it makes me feel better when I'm thirsty.

So I guess I'm referring to the short-term effects, not the long-term.
Reply 48
randomgirl
Well my bad :colondollar:, maybe that was the wrong word. But whatever, it makes me feel better when I'm thirsty.

So I guess I'm referring to the short-term effects, not the long-term.

An alcoholic beverage may well quench your thirst :wink:

LOL ... I'll stop being an asshole now :p:
my mum smokes and drinks and i'd say smoking has affected her more than drinking has
Reply 50
burninginme

I think it is double standards, and absolutely rediculous. I will never stop smoking until the same regulations are placed on alcohol that are present on tobacco.

Interesting form of protest...
Reply 51
judicious
You just contradicted yourself.... well done :biggrin:

Anyway, alcohol is addictive actually....
You beat me to it. :p:
Reply 52
judicious

Both are bad for you and you shouldn't do either...

You shouldn't? Who says? Last time I heard smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol was legal.
Reply 53
they're called "cancer sticks" for a reason...
burninginme
I'm just watching this report on BBC News and this fat idiot is on there banging on about how terrible it is that children under the age of 18 are smoking, and they often talk about underage smokers like the end of the world has come. The presentor then asked him somethong to the effort of "so along with cigarettes, do shops tend to sell alcohol to under 18s too?". And I also think he asked him if the fines are heavier or the same for alcohol sales to under 18 year olds

And this fat idiot stuttered, and started umming and erring, and then goes "Well, we've only done researched into tobacco sales, I'm not sure on what the figures are for alcohol sales".

And I think this sums it up perfectly, for some reason this nanny state only seem to be concerned about smoking, and not drinking. In my opinion, drinking is undoubtedly more dangerous than smoking and is known that exessive consumption of alcohol can very likely significantly impair someones judgement to the point they put themselves and others in danger, and often can cause someone to become violent.

Smoke an excesive number of cigarettes and you just cough a bit.

II think this anti-smoking propaganda has got rediculous, and I don't understand why these namby pamby government workers don't hate drinking in the same way they hate smoking.

If they were to get tough on drinking, I'm guessing that would undermine New Labour's idiotic encouragement of binge drinking and violence with their rediculous 24 hour drinking laws.

The UK government encourage kids under 18 to be fighting in the street full of alcohol, but they seem to hate the idea that an under 18 year old might be having a quiet fag.

Also, this may have changed now, but I remember seeing an advert for alcohol on TV in the morning, lol, like before 9am, and I was thinking, they would NEVER allow a advert advertising cigarettes, yet they're allowed to quite liberally advertise alcohol.

I think it is double standards, and absolutely rediculous. I will never stop smoking until the same regulations are placed on alcohol that are present on tobacco.

Drinking is only bad in excess. Smoking is easier to get addicted to.
Because they're ******* stupid. Alcohol and smoking are equally harmful yet are totally legal (recently to anyone as young as 16 for smoking), yet safe old weed is illegal.
Reply 56
D00
You shouldn't? Who says? Last time I heard smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol was legal.

My own personal opinion as has been established already...
Reply 57
Essentially because these things travel in cycles. The government was targeting smoking for a good few years, now they're moving on to target alcohol. That's why all the authoritarian nonsense about it is making the news at the moment.

milan5baros

Smoking is only particularly bad in excess too. One cigarette a day, for example, will do you no significant harm. You'd probably get more health problems from hanging around busy roads or breathing around bonfires.
milan5baros

Bull ****. The naivety over drinking is incredible. Any quantity of alcohol is bad, just the ill effects are proportional to the amount you consume. If you have 4 pints once a week, there will be an equivalent low consumption of cigarettes which is approximately as harmful. Drinking is bad full stop but if you don't take it too far you're less LIKELY to damage your body long term. It's not a guarantee.
screwyouguysimgoinghome
Because they're ******* stupid. Alcohol and smoking are equally harmful yet are totally legal (recently to anyone as young as 16 for smoking), yet safe old weed is illegal.

Weed isn't thought to be safe though. Aside from the concern about mental health, in the last few years there have been studies that have found weed to be much more carcinogenic than tobacco.

With alcohol and tobacco being legal and regulated there is lots and lots of money being poured into research of side effects. With weed being illegal there's nowhere near as many studies, it's banned so why bother? Sure lots of people take it so for the NHS it would be useful to know more about weed, but from a business side of things there's little economic benefit in sponsoring the research of something that can't be legally sold.

The research is patchy at best, and if it was to be legalised then the research budget would inevitably rise to look into the health implications. Whether it would be better or worse than tobacco would be unknown until after the research, but I'd put money on it that weed won't be found to be the heavenly safe drug.

Latest

Trending

Trending