The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Dropping Out- Help!

Does anyone here know how to go about dropping out of Southampton?
I know it's pretty quick, but I've definitely made up my mind- it's not for me. I need to be closer to home. If anyone cares :P

But anyway. Yeah.. I'm not sure how to do it. Do I just not turn up to inductions or anything? Or do I have to inform someone?
Also, what about accommodation? I'm in halls now.. do I have to inform them? Will I be forced to pay a huge amount of money?

Please help!!
:eek:

Are you sure? I think you should stick it out...your lectures havent even started yet! How can you know so early that it's not for you?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm feeling the same way, i'm really tempted to quit also!
Reply 3
I would think you will have to let someone know before you go, i would say contact the head of your department and your accommodation office so they can offically cancel your admission. Its likely you will lose some money but i would doubt they would request you to pay all the money for the accommodation even though you arent going to be there - although i heard some Unis say you have to pay them the accommodation because you entered a contract with them but honestly if you drop out im sure they have a clause in them that protects the student when they drop out, i mean in my UG i recall 2 people dropping out and their rooms quickly being taken.

PS plz let me know how it goes because i am also considering leaving cos i dont really like my course
Reply 4
If anyone needs to talk about home sickness, or anything just add me on msn [email protected] , it really does help.
Reply 5
You've not even been at uni a week?

Man-up guys. Homesickness isn't a reason to drop out.
Reply 6
Shebzski
You've not even been at uni a week?

Man-up guys. Homesickness isn't a reason to drop out.

This. You have to move out sometime, and you certainly haven't been here long enough to really make a well-thought out decision.
Reply 7
I'd have to agree guys, you have to give it a chance, freshers is a completely surreal 2 weeks and nothing like your life before, or what uni is like once lectures properly start.
http://suaic.susu.org/modules/downloads/uploads/Changing-or-leaving-your-course-2009-2010.pdf

And also http://suaic.susu.org/advice?aid=13

Having dropped out in the past I can only repeat the statements above - it's WELL worth working through the difficulty of the first week or two. Stick it out at LEAST until christmas or the semester 1 exams - there's only what 12 weeks or so left?

If you're still sure it's not for you then then at least you'll have had time to make an alternative plan for what to do (you can apply for another course/uni for Sept 2010 without dropping out) and you'll be able to say you gave it a fair chance.

If you want help advice then PM me but it really is best to take your time over these decisions and get them right first time. If you change your mind a month or two down the line when you're back at home but all your friends are away at uni and you can't find any decent work and you're skint and bored and lonely then you're pretty much stuck in that situation for another 9 months.

Latest

Trending

Trending