The Student Room Group
I studied it at the end of Year 12 for about 2 weeks. I've attached an essay I wrote after that, it's not great but might have some interesting ideas. I'm only really putting it up because the teacher I had at the time was fantastic and taught The General Prologue brilliantly. (It refers specifically to satire of religious figures).
Reply 2
That essay is really good, helped me understand satire! You havent got anymore have you?

I have no idea what potraits it best to learn!
For religion and women - the Prioress would be very useful. For ideals in society - the Knight, Parson, Ploughman vs the Monk, Friar and Prioress again.
For generally really icky characters to bitch about - the Friar, the Miller, the Cook, the Summoner and the Pardoner.
char_hall
That essay is really good, helped me understand satire! You havent got anymore have you?

Sorry, I don't have any others on that subject. It was something we studied after AS exams for the final week or two. I did do satire for A2 but none of my essays were specifically about The General Prologue (I made references to it here and there, but that's it).
Reply 5
I dnt know wot to expect with this exam, after looking at some past questions it could be on a range of things.

i suppose we're lucky we have 2 question to choose from.

Is everyone taking the paper tomorrow?
Has anyone got any idea wot the questions might be?
Reply 6
Ah, I loved that exam today. Chaucer is the man. I did the stereotypes question they are stereotypes in a medieval lit kind of way, provide ideals (said something about structure here), which ties in with knight, old ideals, harks back to start of poem, which I see as a kind of nostalgic start, goes into vernacular, something about ironic gap there which is also present in some characters, however individual touches, is it just the pilgrim making us think it's individual, blah blah. Would have liked to say something more about Chaucer the Poet and Pilgrim in the ironic gap bit, but there's only so many hours in an exam, I suppose. All in all, quite a good exam, I thought.
I chose the other one, about the 'hates the sin but loves the sinner' - only 'cause I'd read the critic's work and knew what she went on to say and how it contributed to the assertion in the question lol. I thought it went pretty well, better than M4M anyway. I did think about the stereotypes one but I wouldn't have been able to think of everything you've put up there!
I hate the fact that we had those assessment objectives or whatever - I can't even remember what they were for Chaucer.
Reply 9
White_redrose
I chose the other one, about the 'hates the sin but loves the sinner' - only 'cause I'd read the critic's work and knew what she went on to say and how it contributed to the assertion in the question lol. I thought it went pretty well, better than M4M anyway. I did think about the stereotypes one but I wouldn't have been able to think of everything you've put up there!

Lol, that was a good one! I'd read loads about stereotypes, hence all that pretentiousness :biggrin: I thought it went better than M4M too like I've said, I think M4M's a very complex play to have for A-level, really, although it's also good how you can have nearly any view on it!

Yeah, AOs are a load of arse. I *think* for Chaucer it was about different interpretations, and how language creates meaning, or something like that...one of our teachers is mad on the AOs and frameworks, but he never explains exactly what they are, and the other completely ignores them, and I'm sure we all have a better grasp of the piece at the end of the year! That teacher's female, it explains it all...:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending