The Student Room Group

‘Britain should be made to apologise for the slave trade’

Scroll to see replies

Moe Lester
Doubt? There is no doubt about, nobody alive today was involved in the trans-atlantic slave trade.

Black slave owners in Africa however are very much alive.

Basically what I meant. It's more of an insult if they do 'apologise' I think simply because it seems so random and meaningless. Not that I think they should anyway, anyone who does think it's a good idea needs to get a grip.
Reply 41
yoyo462001
Personally i dont think being free should be considered a benefit or an apology...

It's not, but to have the freedom in Britain, as Renal said, is.
Are black people going to apologise for enslaving white people?

I mean, we're looking backwards on this apology - how about looking into the future too? :p:
Reply 43
Renal
Arguably, the apology happened when they were freed and the debt could we be considered paid by the benefits the slaves and their descendents have received from living, freed, in Britain.

Taking freedom away and then giving it back isn't much of an apology in my eyes. Yes, it just so happened the Africans probably benefited from residing in Britian but this was an unplanned consequence not an intentional reparation.
You might think they might as well, be a good gesture etc. but it's not as simple as that, as this is a legal issue more than anything.

I'm not sure of the exact specifics, but apparently formally 'apologising' would open up Britain to all sorts of compensation claims from the ancestors of those involved
JW92
In Britain we are only too happy to celebrate aspects of our history. Victory in the Second World War had nothing to do with most British people today, yet most readily celebrate it and are proud of it. It is hypocritical to then overlook the murkier aspects of our history and to not feel ashamed and sorry for the fact that those things happened. If we haven't already, we should apologise for the slave trade.

tell ya what - when the people who rounded up the slaves for sale (which was black africans) apologise for thier part - we should apologise.

Oh and when the Italians, apologise and the Egyptians and the south americans and every bloody country in the world seeing as slavery has been done by every empire not just the british one

what a load of bull - no we should not apologise
silverbolt
tell ya what - when the people who rounded up the slaves for sale (which was black africans) apologise for thier part - we should apologise.

Oh and when the Italians, apologise and the Egyptians and the south americans and every bloody country in the world seeing as slavery has been done by every empire not just the british one

We'll i think the attitude of 'well if there not apologizing then were not' probably isnt much of a way to argue a point...
Considering the fact that some of your African classmates may still be living in mud huts without clean drinking water if it wasn't for the slavetrade they should be grateful.
And also their brutal colonisation!
We let you win the 100m at the olympics, what more do you want from us?
Reply 50
JAKstriked
Considering the fact that some of your African classmates may still be living in mud huts without clean drinking water if it wasn't for the slavetrade they should be grateful.

No, they live in England...and they are in my Law class..
No we shouldn't, it is in the past. If anybody should pay for it, it is the USA.
Reply 52
silverbolt

Should we not take the high road and apologise for what is a clear moral wrong?
Reply 53
eulerwaswrong
do you blame todays germans for the holocaust?

However, ironically, holocaust denial is a crime.
I do not think we should pay for it in the slightest. These retroactive reparations are lunacy. I do think that British politicians are correct to apologize for it, though they definitely shouldn't be made to.

adamrules247
No we shouldn't, it is in the past. If anybody should pay for it, it is the USA.

How completely arbitrary (and predictably anglo-centric) of you.
Reply 55
JAKstriked

This statement makes no sense, and the people who make it tend to be absolute idiots.

The slavetrade came and went yet there are still Africans living in horrible living conditions. This statement reeks of such utter stupidity its shocking.
Reply 56
Bishamon
This statement makes no sense, and the people who make it tend to be absolute idiots.

The slavetrade came and went yet there are still Africans living in horrible living conditions. This statement reeks of such utter stupidity its shocking.

:yes:
I thought we already did apologise...but how exactly are we supposed to pay back?
Reply 58
yoyo462001
Personally i dont think being free should be considered a benefit or an apology...

No, but living in a wealthy country as apposed to being deported back to africa could be seen a benefiting them.

Does anyone know if the ex-slaves were able to get free transport to go back to their families/bring their families to the UK?
This will probably get me a neg rep, but...

It was the other africans who rounded them up and sold them, In my eyes the crime is commited by the people selling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending