The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i prefer to go with my mates :biggrin: . i have taken my parents (reluctantly!) but normally just to drop me of!
Reply 21
Bekaboo
My parents both worked full time so I went cross country and through london and everything all on my own :eek:

I only know a couple of people who took parents and I think most of them regretted it!

:eek: It never occurred to me not to bring my parents to any of my open days! I certainly didn't regret it.
Reply 22
My Mum is not interested in my education. When I went to an interview and open days, I went with my boyfriend and felt really left out and sad as everyone else’s parents seemed interested in their children's lives and went with them. It was also really surprising by how much everyone seemed interest and involved.

*shrugs*
Reply 23
Thanks for your help everyone! I think i will be taking my parents along with me then :smile: Especially as i only passed my driving test 3 weeks ago and am planning to go to an open day in sheffield!
Reply 24
kew96158
:eek: It never occurred to me not to bring my parents to any of my open days! I certainly didn't regret it.

I’m the exact opposite it never occurred to me that I should take them. I got the train to all my open days and my interviews and did it all on my own (nobody else from school wanted to come with me). It was never really a problem. It’s not that my parents don’t care about my education they do, but they wanted it to be my decision and not theirs.

Edit: my sister has just started looking at unis and she's going by herself as well.
Reply 25
yes.
Reply 26
I did take my mum/dad to all of the ones i visited, mainly in order to get there.

Most people at Swansea, Southampton, Sheffield and Nottingham had a parent with them when i went to visit. We sat down in a big hall and a had a presentation, then parents/students were split up into two parties to be given tours etc. At the end of the tours we had a our "interview" and were then reunited at the end of the day.

So they followed a similar system, when i went to bristol we were told that there were no activities organised for parents so my mum just went and visited some relaitives (which was lucky, seeing as if it had been sheffield or something she would have got really bored waiting around).

I think most uni's cater for parents, but not all do. And at all the ones i went too i'd say 70% had a parent and 30% hadn't. I thought it was good to have a parent to being with but i actually got far more into the "feel" on the uni's once they were gone and i could chat to the current students as we went round the faculty.
My dad drove me to all the open days, and my mum just decided not to come because she knew she would embarass me. :biggrin: Most people are with one parent, some two or some none. Doesn't really matter!
Reply 28
I went with one of my parents. My mum went to some and my dad to others. Its useful for an extra view of the university (and I hate making decisions).
i took my dad to two (Chester and DeMonfort) purly cos of the transportation isue, but i got the train to Sheffield Hallam. He though Chester was the best but i loved Hallam so it made for some disagreement, but at the end of the day it was up to me.
I went to one open day and it was only because I was curious about the university as I had a good idea it was a good course but had no idea what the university itself was like. I could have visited Lancaster or Plymouth instead but there was something which attracted me to Bangor.

Cutting a long story short it was a brilliant 3 day trip without my parents and I loved every minute of it. more details here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76995

The univerisity is now my insurance but I wish it was my firm.
I went on my own (or with friends) to all pre-application visits. Post-application, my mum only went with me to Edinburgh, but that's mainly because it was always going to be my first choice, so if I was going to be that far away, she wanted to see it.

It also meant that she paid for lunch and most of the cost of my plane ticket.
I had a parent with me for all of them apart from my second visit to Notts. I've found their opinions really helpful, and they're good for transport :smile: We incorporated visiting unis in the south into our holiday last year, lol, so my brother and grandma came to Oxford with me, as well as my parents! That was a private tour though, so a bit different.

I always smile at the parents who ask loads of questions while their son/daughter shrinks into their seat in shame. One mum asked at RH if she would be receiving regular reports on her daughter's progress at university.
RachelBabyfrog
One mum asked at RH if she would be receiving regular reports on her daughter's progress at university.

:laugh: Pushy Mother Syndrome
LooCee
Did you or are you planning to take your parents with you to university open days? I haven't been to one yet and i'm a bit unsure of what to expect. Are there lots of other people with their parents or a parent?
Sorry to ask such a stupid question!

I went to all mine on my own. :eek:
Helenia
I’m the exact opposite it never occurred to me that I should take them. I got the train to all my open days and my interviews and did it all on my own (nobody else from school wanted to come with me). It was never really a problem. It’s not that my parents don’t care about my education they do, but they wanted it to be my decision and not theirs.

:dito:
RachelBabyfrog
I always smile at the parents who ask loads of questions while their son/daughter shrinks into their seat in shame. One mum asked at RH if she would be receiving regular reports on her daughter's progress at university.

Good god.

I'm lucky with my parents. They don't know much about university, but they don't particularly want to know every single tiny thing about it. At the one visit we went to together, we were sat in the talks, not asking anything, but laughing at all the stupid questions that peope came out with.

To be honest, the example you gave sounds like a mother who'd been planning their child's university education just after conception... I'm going to university for me, not my parents. My mum's proud of me, but she'd be proud of whatever I did, as long as it was what I wanted.

I'm now heading off topic, but I guess it links in that my parents were happy for me to go to the visits on my own, even if it meant sitting on trains for hours on my own, heh. They trust me, and although I want them to be involved to an extent, ultimately, it's about me, not them.
Reply 37
Both my parents came to all the interviews and open days I attended. Dad for the lifts, and mum for the comedy embarrassment factor.

I thought a double parents team would make me seem slightly mollycoddled to other prospective students. To be honest though, I don't even remember the faces of the people I spent the day with so the first impressions didn't bother me much. There were quite a few others with two parents, and almost all had at least one. Usually, students and parents are split up into separate groups, so it's really nothing to worry about.
Reply 38
God no! My dad took no notice of my education for during primary and secondary and wasnt likely too @ uni! Mum would have embarrassed me! I went with my bf
Reply 39
I went with mine - they were a really good moderating force..very sensible and made me think about what I actually wanted from uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending