The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

What's Sheffield as a city actually like?

Ok, I've applied to Sheffield and made it my firm choice. I was just wondering though what it's actually like as a city? I visited it on the open day in September and really liked it, but just seeing it during the day obviously doesn't give a complete impression of what it's actually like there. I'm just checking that Sheffield definitely has a lot of places to go? It's still an exciting city right, as in lots of bars/clubs? Or just enough so that you don't get bored!
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think you've hit the spot there, theres definatly enough going on for you to not get bored, as the sticky thread shows, plenty of bars and night clubs to visit with one of the major recent bars/club opening on west street called players, popular with the students.

some friends visited from london, and they described sheffield as a mini london, but with less pollution lol.

But yeah imo, theres definatly enough bars/clubs to get you through your degree, not to mention the club nights at the unions, and if your lucky, you may meet some hallam students, and find yourself ending up at a hallam union night, so all is good
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Ah yeah I'm from London too so I'm looking forward to less pollution! But it also means I do want a big enough city because it's what I'm used to. Although I've gotta admit, I'm looking forward to being somewhere a little smaller where you can actually just walk places...
Reply 3
After living in London and Brighton I was disappointed with Sheffield. Opted for Manchester. But I know lots of people that love Sheffield.
Reply 4
Yeah i guess its smaller, but still big enough to have what is required imo, and various locations are reachable via the tram. you will have to get used to walking up hills though XD
DGreenwood
Ah yeah I'm from London too so I'm looking forward to less pollution! But it also means I do want a big enough city because it's what I'm used to. Although I've gotta admit, I'm looking forward to being somewhere a little smaller where you can actually just walk places...

let me get this straight....... A school pupil is worrying if a city will be a "big enough city" for him ...... erm, right... I don't think I need to say anything else really...
I think youve got it about right. If youre from London you will probably find it very small, but coming from London thats probably a nice change. Im from manchester and find Sheffield quite limited in comparison.
Reply 7
Mrm.
let me get this straight....... A school pupil is worrying if a city will be a "big enough city" for him ...... erm, right... I don't think I need to say anything else really...

Her* actually. And right, that seemed kinda unnecessary? Seems reasonable to me to ask what the city is like considering I'm going to be spending three years there and spending a fair bit of money in it. It also seems pretty straightforward that all cities are different sizes and have different things to offer - so after living in London all my life I'm just used to a bigger city? Anyway I didn't really post a thread on this to have silly comment exchanges - I really just wanna find out about the city, that's all
It's lovely; many bars/clubs etc.
Plus it's pretty cheap as well.
I've lived here my whole life and never had a single problem.
DGreenwood
Her* actually. And right, that seemed kinda unnecessary? Seems reasonable to me to ask what the city is like considering I'm going to be spending three years there and spending a fair bit of money in it. It also seems pretty straightforward that all cities are different sizes and have different things to offer - so after living in London all my life I'm just used to a bigger city? Anyway I didn't really post a thread on this to have silly comment exchanges - I really just wanna find out about the city, that's all

let me get this straight....... A school pupil is worrying if a city will be a "big enough city" for her ...... erm, right... I don't think I need to say anything else really...
It's amazing. I really love it here - I know Manchester and Birmingham quite well and I definitely prefer it to both of them. The nightlife is great - there seems to be enough bars and clubs around, even though I've only been here three months. It's a cheap city to live in and it's walkable. I haven't used the bus yet because I haven't needed to but the public transport is good. The tram = :love:
Mrm.
let me get this straight....... A school pupil is worrying if a city will be a "big enough city" for her ...... erm, right... I don't think I need to say anything else really...

Are you thick?
TommyWannabe
Are you thick?

I daresay that to some degree that would rather depend on what yardstick was being put to use in order to compare my "thickness" or otherwise against.
If the aforementioned comparison was made to say, the intellect of Srinivasa Ramanujan, then yes I am indeed thick.
However if the "duel" was between my good self and the somewhat intellectually challenged "TommyWannabe", then no, I am a genius.
I'm from London and I really adore it here. Its got all the key things you need without being big enough to get lost or be far away from anything! The city centre is quite small but there is alot packed in. Nightlife wise there is always somewhere good to go, particularly for students. There are a handful of good clubs, but you will always know some of the people in there because its just like that up here.
Quite honestly I'd always take Sheffield over a big city!
according to a friend its just like Ljubljana in Slovenia, which is a red roofed, undeveloped mediterranean area city, it has good weather and a cafe culture, a pedestrianised centre, flowing wine, and general harmony.

so if you trust him , then there you go.:yes:
Reply 15
Mrm.
I daresay that to some degree that would rather depend on what yardstick was being put to use in order to compare my "thickness" or otherwise against.
If the aforementioned comparison was made to say, the intellect of Srinivasa Ramanujan, then yes I am indeed thick.
However if the "duel" was between my good self and the somewhat intellectually challenged "TommyWannabe", then no, I am a genius.

Using long words doesn't make your original comment any less stupid.
Reply 16
I have lived here all my life and in my unbiased opinion Sheffield is AWESOME! :awesome:
Reply 17
Too many traffic lights.
mollymustard
I'm from London and I really adore it here. Its got all the key things you need without being big enough to get lost or be far away from anything! The city centre is quite small but there is alot packed in. Nightlife wise there is always somewhere good to go, particularly for students. There are a handful of good clubs, but you will always know some of the people in there because its just like that up here.
Quite honestly I'd always take Sheffield over a big city!

Couldn't agree more with this poster really, its big enough to have everything you need and a decent variety of clubs/nightlife, although its small enough to know you're way around v.easily. Also theres two unis so its a very studenty/young town which is pretty nice. Deffo recommend it
dannyparrott
according to a friend its just like Ljubljana in Slovenia, which is a red roofed, undeveloped mediterranean area city, it has good weather and a cafe culture, a pedestrianised centre, flowing wine, and general harmony.

so if you trust him , then there you go.:yes:

Oh, I wish!

Latest

Trending

Trending