The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Wolfson College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Is there anyone here at Wolfson part-time (MSt)? How well does that work, and did anyone take a look at St. Edmund's for the same?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 101
Original post by Wilby100
Hi! Nice to hear from you! I have a couple of questions: With accom, if I get a termly license, what happens between each term with regards to my stuff in my room and the kitchen? Is there anywhere to leave some stuff, particularly kitchen things and books? I'm just concerned about having to completely remove everything every 8 weeks, but would like to avoid getting a periodical license to save money! With the periodical license though - does that also cover the long summer break or just the two shorter ones? Lastly - do you keep the same room for the whole year and then have to reapply in each subsequent year?
Thanks in advance!!

Helllo! I have a termly licence, and you have to completely remove everything from your room and kitchen (although I've left stuff in the kitchen and its not been touched...). There are a few storage areas in college which I know a lot of the international students use. It is a massive pain moving everything, but I think how much money you save makes it worth it.

The periodical licence lasts for 12 months from 28 Sept or 5 Oct depending on when you start.

You can ask to keep your room between years, a lot of PhD students do that :smile:
Reply 102
Original post by Major_Bscuit
Hello,
Do you get to choose in what kind of room you will be allocated or is it random? How would you rate the accommodation kitchen? Is it just a microwave as in some other universities that I have seen or is it a more "functional one"? And does the college lack the atmosphere of the more ancient colleges (no historic buildings, maybe not as pretty)?

Thank you in advance.

Hello! The rooms are divided into price ranges as follows:

Price 1: £89.88 - single room, shared bathroom.
Price 2: £102.62 - single room, ensuite bathroom or shared set.
Price 3: £115.64 - single room, ensuite bathroom.
Price 4: £144.90 - self contained single studio flat.
Price 5: £166.67 - rooms for couples, either double studio flat or large bedrooms in the houses around college.
Price 6: £242.69 - rooms for couples, large self-contained double flats with kitchen/small living room/bathroom.

You choose a price range which you'd like to be in, and then they allocate you a room within this range. The kitchens are all well supplied, my only complaint is that some are a tad on the small size (more than 4 people in there makes it seem very crowded whilst cooking!). You have a microwave, kettle, 2 fridge/freezers, toaster, oven with hob and then a large cupboard with your room number on to yourself.

Honestly, I don't think the college is lacking just because it isn't as old. The older colleges are beautiful and I love looking around them, but I don't go back to Wolfson and wish I was there instead. So to me it doesn't matter, but to others the 'traditional' feel to Cambridge is more important.
Original post by Tali_91

Price 5: £166.67 - rooms for couples, either double studio flat or large bedrooms in the houses around college.
Price 6: £242.69 - rooms for couples, large self-contained double flats with kitchen/small living room/bathroom.

You choose a price range which you'd like to be in, and then they allocate you a room within this range. The kitchens are all well supplied, my only complaint is that some are a tad on the small size (more than 4 people in there makes it seem very crowded whilst cooking!). You have a microwave, kettle, 2 fridge/freezers, toaster, oven with hob and then a large cupboard with your room number on to yourself.

Honestly, I don't think the college is lacking just because it isn't as old. The older colleges are beautiful and I love looking around them, but I don't go back to Wolfson and wish I was there instead. So to me it doesn't matter, but to others the 'traditional' feel to Cambridge is more important.

Thank you, this has been really helpful :smile:.
Original post by TheNamelessGrace
Any Wolfson offer holders? I have one for English, for 2014 entry :smile: .

I do!
Graduate entry medic 2014!
Hey might have been me! Well if not I'm going to wolfson soon! I'm turning 21 in August then coming in October to study engineering! See you there!
Original post by Elcano
Well it IS rather quiet here, so...

HELLO PEOPLE! Come out and talk to me, I'm coming this October to do Engineering... anything interesting going on? Any tips for a future Wolfson guy? Stuff to do and stuff not to do? ^^

Hey well both of us will be doing engineering! I'm 20 now but 21 in August ! Can't wait to start!
Anybody have any info regarding the Wolfson scholarships?
Original post by moderatedbliss
Anybody have any info regarding the Wolfson scholarships?

Have you seen this page?

https://www.wolfson.ox.ac.uk/scholarships-and-other-financial-awards
Hi guys. I am 24 and going to Wolfson for MPhil Computational Biology. Excited!

Does anyone know if any particular block is nicer than the others with regards to the accomodation?

Thanks!

That's not Cambridge... :wink:
Original post by Elcano
That's not Cambridge... :wink:

Oops!
Original post by Tali_91

Hi, I am going to Wolfson this year and I have several questions regarding the accommodation here. I wonder what is the difference between the room of price 2 and price 3. I noticed that the these two kinds of room are both ensuite bathroom and the latter one is bigger than the former one. But how much bigger would that be? By the way, how is the block on the west of Lee court with staircase M,N,O,P? Is this a decent blcok to live in? Many many thanks for your help in advance!!
Reply 113
Hi current and future Wolfies! I will also be starting at Wolfson this year! Is there anyone else studying at Addenbrookes biomedical campus? It would be good to know a quick walk/cycle route from Wolfson to the campus (and nearby supermarkets!) Thankyouuuu
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello!
Does anyone know how many supervisions/essays an English student has per week in the first year?
Thanks!
Original post by Tali_91
Hey everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has received offers :smile: I'm currently a second year Vet Med student at Wolfson, and I'm also on the Wolfson College Student Association so know a fair bit about the college! If you have any questions about anything to do with accommodation/college life/courses then I'm very happy to answer! :smile:

Hello! Thanks for all the information you gave on this forum so far! :smile: I have a question regarding accommodation.

I am starting an LLM in October and Wolfson is my college. I will only be able to meet the conditions of my offer in September and I can only apply for accommodation after that. My question: Will there still be any rooms left, if I file the accommodation request in September? The college accommodation office does not want to answer the question. I understand that you probably cannot give me a definite answer, but any kind of information would be much appreciated. I know that Wolfson has a lot of accommodation facilities, but I am still worried.

Thank you so so much for your answer!
According to CamSIS, Wolfson said "yes" today. So I now know where I won't be living. :smile: MSt students stay at Madingley Hall for a few days each session and don't have to set foot in their college at all. I hope to stick around for a bit after each session, though, if only to get some work done and experience a tiny bit of university life.

I must say, it was a weird process by which I chose the college. The only other option for (male) students in my program was St Edmunds. A friend of mine who had spent a year at Churchill doing theoretical physics and music said that Wolfson was a nice place to go after orchestra rehearsals, and he knew nothing about St Edmunds. The ties and scarves are much nicer at St. Edmunds, but as an agnostic with Puritan roots, it seemed safer to avoid the RC college and instead do the one without the chapel. So there it is. But if I had the choice, one of the creaky antiques closer to town would have been fun to consider.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi all

I am very confused as to what to choose? Period vs term accommodation. If I choose term license I will have to vacate during holidays, but then i will be have my exams during off-term times (i will be doing MBA, so the timetable is not the same as other degrees, we have exams during 1st week of jan). But if I choose period license, i am not entirely sure if I will stay that long as we will be doing our projects and all so we will be away from cambridge around April living somewhere else for a month or so.

I am just confused. Hope you guys can help us out.
Original post by agenthunt1
Hi all

I am very confused as to what to choose? Period vs term accommodation. If I choose term license I will have to vacate during holidays, but then i will be have my exams during off-term times (i will be doing MBA, so the timetable is not the same as other degrees, we have exams during 1st week of jan). But if I choose period license, i am not entirely sure if I will stay that long as we will be doing our projects and all so we will be away from cambridge around April living somewhere else for a month or so.

I am just confused. Hope you guys can help us out.

I am doing an MPhil and my course finishes in July (which is less than the period licence). I contacted them and they advised me that as long as you give 1 month notice, it should be fine.

Term licence would mean I would have to vacate during holidays and I did not want that for the extra hassle and inconvenience.
Reply 119
Original post by Huster Jacky
Hi, I am going to Wolfson this year and I have several questions regarding the accommodation here. I wonder what is the difference between the room of price 2 and price 3. I noticed that the these two kinds of room are both ensuite bathroom and the latter one is bigger than the former one. But how much bigger would that be? By the way, how is the block on the west of Lee court with staircase M,N,O,P? Is this a decent blcok to live in? Many many thanks for your help in advance!!

Hi! Honestly, there doesn't seem to be that much difference. I think the thing with Price 2 rooms is that you have the possibility of getting a shared set with one other person. I've only stayed in a price 3 and a price 1 room, so can't say for sure what the difference between 2 and 3 is!

The staircases M, N, O, P are very similar to what I lived in last year (D, E, F, G) it is a good location as it is in the middle of the Club Room/Porters and the Library. The only complaint I would have is if you're facing East Court it can get a bit noisy if there are late running events on in the club room (like Bops, the Wolfson Howler etc...).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending