The Student Room Group

Bristol Engineering Design

Hi, I have just got an offer from the Engineering Design course at Bristol uni, and was just wondering if anyone who's on it/had/been on it/knows about it, could tell me a bit about it, and future career prospects etc....

Thanks in advance! (:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Employers love it. A lot of the big prestigious firms had a hand in making the course in the first place. I was once told by arup that you can be pretty much the most attractive graduate if you went to bristol and did either eng des or another engineering discipline with a european language.

As far as students are concerned, I've heard mixed things. They end up doing a combination of other engineer's modules and as such feel to some extent slight 'jack of all trades'.

Apart from this year, what with the way the economy is, you'll be guaranteed a job with one of the companies involved in the degree.

Hopefully you'll get a few more replies, I wouldn't want to be the only one to share a view on this one - its too important to take what I say as gospel - it isn't first hand experience afterall
Reply 2
Hi,
I'm also looking at Engineering Design (with German - so obviously I like what will504 said!). I emailed them a few day ago regarding my offer but have yet to hear back - may phone them today. It *does* look like an awesome course.
Reply 3
Yeah, I've applied for it and then realised that I knew nothing about it. The guy talking about it on open day was really convincing!! Interview for it in 2 weeks time! If anyone can tell me anything about their interview that would be great :biggrin:
Reply 4
jamesBT
Yeah, I've applied for it and then realised that I knew nothing about it. The guy talking about it on open day was really convincing!! Interview for it in 2 weeks time! If anyone can tell me anything about their interview that would be great :biggrin:

Just make sure you know all the basic physics principles and keep a clear head. The interview day is tough (well, it was for me anyway) but the group project is quite fun. And they give you free food :woo:
Reply 5
aper_son
Just make sure you know all the basic physics principles and keep a clear head. The interview day is tough (well, it was for me anyway) but the group project is quite fun. And they give you free food :woo:

Free food!!:cookie: :woo: I will definitely go to Bristol now.
Cheers.
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies!! Keep 'em coming :P

Will504, thanks for the info, it does sounds good, just wanted to be sure! Are you an engineer/at brisol uni??? (:

The interview I had, was not too bad, just had two interviewers, one from one of the sponsor companies, and one was an engineering lecturer from the uni. Mine was quite tough, but interesting!

Then we had a group project, which was pretty straightforward and fun! Plus as mentioned above, the free food was good...make the most of it :wink:
Reply 7
paperflower
Thanks for the replies!! Keep 'em coming :P

Will504, thanks for the info, it does sounds good, just wanted to be sure! Are you an engineer/at brisol uni??? (:

The interview I had, was not too bad, just had two interviewers, one from one of the sponsor companies, and one was an engineering lecturer from the uni. Mine was quite tough, but interesting!

Then we had a group project, which was pretty straightforward and fun! Plus as mentioned above, the free food was good...make the most of it :wink:

Do you mind if I ask, OP, did you get an offer straight away through UCAS or did they send you a letter first and you had to contact them saying you wanted an offer? I phoned them today, and was told that the they are still going through some of the applications (apparently including mine).
Reply 8
aper_son
Do you mind if I ask, OP, did you get an offer straight away through UCAS or did they send you a letter first and you had to contact them saying you wanted an offer? I phoned them today, and was told that the they are still going through some of the applications (apparently including mine).

Yeah, they sent me a letter saying that they would like to make me an offer, but wanted to wait till it was "more favourably recieved" or something.... I emailed them back in early Jan, and then they made me the offer - I think its so they dont make offers to people who dont have really want to go there... ie. get into oxbridge/ or something...

I'm sure you'll probs get the offer, but good luck anyway! Is it you first choice??
Reply 9
paperflower
Yeah, they sent me a letter saying that they would like to make me an offer, but wanted to wait till it was "more favourably recieved" or something.... I emailed them back in early Jan, and then they made me the offer - I think its so they dont make offers to people who dont have really want to go there... ie. get into oxbridge/ or something...

I'm sure you'll probs get the offer, but good luck anyway! Is it you first choice??

Oh good that's the letter I got. Thanks.

Bristol will be my first choice should I get an offer. It does look like a pretty good course. Durham or Warwick will probably be insurance (depending on what offer they make me).
Reply 10
aper_son
Oh good that's the letter I got. Thanks.

Bristol will be my first choice should I get an offer. It does look like a pretty good course. Durham or Warwick will probably be insurance (depending on what offer they make me).

wow, same, but I think my Warwick offer is higher :/, so not too sure about that...
Reply 11
paperflower
wow, same, but I think my Warwick offer is higher :/, so not too sure about that...

:woo: You do realize now that if I end up at either of those two on Fresher's week I'm going to go round introducing myself as "A Person" (Aper Son) and asking people if they're a paper flower, don't you?
Reply 12
aper_son
:woo: You do realize now that if I end up at either of those two on Fresher's week I'm going to go round introducing myself as "A Person" (Aper Son) and asking people if they're a paper flower, don't you?

hahaa, I only just 'got' your name :P
yeah, that would probs not be the way to go, if you actually want to seem normal ;P

Bt if you end up at bristol, theres only 25ish people to be deemed weird by (:
Reply 13
paperflower
hahaa, I only just 'got' your name :P
yeah, that would probs not be the way to go, if you actually want to seem normal ;P

Bt if you end up at bristol, theres only 25ish people to be deemed weird by (:

Hey, I got my conditional offer from Bristol a few days ago :yep: :biggrin:

I'm probably going to firm it so...provided all goes OK...see you in October!
Reply 14
aper_son
Hey, I got my conditional offer from Bristol a few days ago :yep: :biggrin:

I'm probably going to firm it so...provided all goes OK...see you in October!

yayy! nice one! :smile: see you there maybeeeeee!
Reply 15
I know a few people on the course, one who is just graduating, and one going into his 5th year.

They both really seemed to like it, but both of them have said its like "Bachelors in Engineering, Masters in bullsh|tt|ng" because by the end you've missed a lot of prerequisites so you have to do a lot of work. They've both really enjoyed it so far and due to the year in industry find it easy to get interships/job offers. They said what will504 said about it feeling like a "jack of all trades".

Don't be like the current first years (second years when you get here). They're all really lame. For example, in one of our lectures where we're quized electronically, they got extra pads just so that the CSE kids would get a lower average. (The Eng Design kids always scored the lowest in the quizes....)

Beside my gripe with the current first years, it seems like a decent course.
Ooh I've applied for this and have just been requested to fill in the additional entry form and send an example of some written work. What did you guys send off for it? I'm deciding between my EPQ essay on the London Millennium Bridge which is highly scientific and detailed, but i think it's pretty boring and long-winded, or my Young Enterprise interim report which is obviously less scientific but it has better presentation and is generally more interesting.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by jamesBT

They get paid to be interesting and cheerful. Its hard work and you better believe it. EngDesign is probably the most difficult though I'm not sure. You'll be involved in a **** load of projects from the off but the advantage is you'll be pretty good with a ton of software (so I've heard). Don't ever go by what those people at the open days say. The best way to decide is to think about what you want to do in life. Engineering is heavily applied based, so you'll learn theories and maths, sure, but you won't learn them in any great detail. You'll always be on the cusp of knowing something but appreciating you'll never know it in as much detail as a physicist or mathematician. Having said that, you'll have worked in so many teams that you'll learn how to apply these theories into something that works in practice, something those scientists and mathematicians may not necessarily have.

Original post by will504
Employers love it. A lot of the big prestigious firms had a hand in making the course in the first place. I was once told by arup that you can be pretty much the most attractive graduate if you went to bristol and did either eng des or another engineering discipline with a european language.

Not really. What he meant was having a secondary language alongside an Engineering degree from a good university is mighty handy.

Original post by Mirey
I know a few people on the course, one who is just graduating, and one going into his 5th year.

They both really seemed to like it, but both of them have said its like "Bachelors in Engineering, Masters in bullsh|tt|ng" because by the end you've missed a lot of prerequisites so you have to do a lot of work. They've both really enjoyed it so far and due to the year in industry find it easy to get interships/job offers. They said what will504 said about it feeling like a "jack of all trades".

Same with any Engineering degree, you do feel a jack of all trades but master of nothing :/. Masters is definitely bull****ting. The only difference between masters and bachelors is that in your masters year, you have to remember double, or triple the amount of information and just commit to memory. Its quite sad tbh.
Reply 18
Original post by djpailo

Same with any Engineering degree, you do feel a jack of all trades but master of nothing :/. Masters is definitely bull****ting. The only difference between masters and bachelors is that in your masters year, you have to remember double, or triple the amount of information and just commit to memory. Its quite sad tbh.

I've since graduated with a masters... that post is 3 years old :tongue:
Reply 19
Hi!! I got an interview for the 18 of february :smile: anyone in the same situation?

Quick Reply

Latest