The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Irrelevance
How many times has this happened to you personally? I'm going to guess less than ten.

which part? people rarely seem to offer thanks
Sadly, being just nice doesn't get you anywhere these days in this game. Its a sad state of affairs really, but the bad boy approach pays dividends, the nice guy attitude just doesn't.
martin101
Sadly, being just nice doesn't get you anywhere these days in this game. Its a sad state of affairs really, but the bad boy approach pays dividends, the nice guy attitude just doesn't.

it does, you're doing it wrong.
WhySoLimey
which part? people rarely seem to offer thanks

Define "rarely". Plus, you don't open doors to get appreciation, you open them for other people because you are polite.
martin101
Sadly, being just nice doesn't get you anywhere these days in this game.

The key is not to be a bitch about it. If you're there holding onto her for dear life, telling her anecdotes every day about how you love her and constantly complimenting her to the point where she can't do anything without getting a compliment, that's not nice. That's being a bitch about it.
Irrelevance
Define "rarely". Plus, you don't open doors to get appreciation, you open them for other people because you are polite.

i know but his point was people dont appreciate it, which to a point is true.

and i dont know how often but its not every time, maybe half, though this is for men and women.
Reply 26
martin101

The bad boy approach only works for the same reason the good guy approach works, it's about confidence, doing what you enjoy doing and being interesting. Being a "Nice Guy" isn't the same as being a good guy. Think about how many guys in this world do bad things as opposed to the number of "bad boys", just doing bad things doesn't make girls attracted to you, it's the confidence that's key, and you can be a good person with confidence.
Reply 27
Feminism and equal oppertunities make it useless - why treat a women like a women when outside a bedroom they much be treated like a man!
What defines a 'bad boy'? I always wondered this ... a guy who carries a knife/looks like a criminal? A guy who looks like a rapist? Or a guy who looks intimidating? A guy who carries drugs? A guy who'll sell their mother for money?
This is the symptom of the cancerous feminism disease.
Reply 30
I'm not at all demanding of chivalry and gentlemanly conduct, simply because I never meet men who behave that way. The few times I have come across guys like that my reaction has been very close to complete shock. This is then followed by a feeling of sadness that more men don't behave this way. It really is sweet :frown:
If a girl expects me to be chivalrous/pay for everything then I expect her to be a virgin, cook my meals and clean up my flat.
Reply 32
Anonymous
What defines a 'bad boy'? I always wondered this ... a guy who carries a knife/looks like a criminal? A guy who looks like a rapist? Or a guy who looks intimidating? A guy who carries drugs? A guy who'll sell their mother for money?

A guy who doesn't give a damn, and sends you on a fruitless quest to change this. *sigh*
icn06
A guy who doesn't give a damn, and sends you on a fruitless quest to change this. *sigh*

Wow, just wow :s-smilie:
Reply 34
Well I think I behave more like a gentlemen more than most boys in my sixth form.
I hold doors open for the girls , I will let the girls in my group of friends have a seat if there are none left.
With my girlfriend I open the car door for her and close it before I start my car , I sometimes pay for her when we go out (she dislikes me paying for her and sometimes I don't have the money :frown: ), her last boyfriend treated her like crap he never took her out to restaurants and the more than once he expected her to pay for cinema tickets and train fares.

Most men now feel that women generally don't care about chivalry and see it as the cliché of the "nice guy always comes last" which just isn't true.

All this extreme feminist bs also doesn't help things as women claim to feel patronised if a man does something nice for them yet they get annoyed that men don't do anything. Sometimes it is impossible for men to do anything right so they usually put no effort in so nothing is wasted.

EDIT: When I say open doors for girls I meant to say let them go first while holding the door open!
Reply 35
Chivalry is not dead for I am he!

But yeah, its a nice quality to have but certainly not widespread nowadays. Maybe people are just more selfish..
Reply 36
Anonymous
Wow, just wow :s-smilie:

Lol I'm going to assume that is addressed at the explanation, not at me :p:
Its because mothers of 12 years old don't take care of themselves, and if you opened a door for them they would think you want to either bang them or there is something wrong! lol
Most women nowadays are self-proclaimed feminists. Well feminism and chivalry can not go together :frown:
Because you can't have feminism and chivalry. Most women want equality. So chivalry goes out the window.

Latest

Trending

Trending